Moving Snails To Another Tank After Fish Death?

Winterlily

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I just lost my halfmoon betta to what may have been columnaris. It was an awful thing where he was basically being eaten away by something and ended up with huge, deep, gaping "wounds" like big gouges. Meds didn't help and he died last night. :-( He was my favorite fish (the red and purple one in my sig).

Anyhow. I have three 5.5 gallon tanks, each with a male betta in. In each tank are 2 olive nerite snails. Before I started medicating the one tank, I took the snails out and they are temporarily living in a tiny travel type cage/tank. My question is this: Is it safe to now put them in with the other bettas? Since they were in the tank with the sick fish all the way up until I started medicating, do I have any worry here that whatever it was continues to live on/in/with them or something and will be passed to the fish I put them in with??

Any worry that it was something parasitic that CAME from them to begin with? (All 6 snails came from the same place, same tank.)

I need to get the snails out of the little thing they're in - the water gets too cold for them and I'm going to end up losing them. Right now, they are actually out of the water entirely (still in the tank of course) because I think it's much too cold.

Any thoughts??

Thanks!

Well that's my point. They're not IN a tank - as I said, they are in a temporary holding container (tiny) that gets very cold. I want to put them back in the regular tank but, as I said, since they came OUT of a tank with a sick fish who later died, I want to know if it's safe to put them in with other healthy fish now. Or, any chance they can spread what he had. My question was not about why they were exiting the water (I know that's not good), but rather is it safe to put them back with healthy fish after coming out of a tank with a very ill fish with likely something contagious.

Most reactions

Back