Of course they have a hard job. They have to wade through my "reports", with the following titles:

Spam.
Shhpam.
S-pam!!!
Spaaahaaamm.
Spam cake.
Spam galore.
Spam, spam, spam.
Green eggs and spam.

Sorry. It gets boring after reporting the nth number of spammers, gotta mix it up a bit :p

pmsl

like the green eggs and spam one

fishkiller_nomore - But that just makes us look forward to opening your report, so we can see the latest edition. :hyper:

Miss Wiggle - Woo, my opinion. :D

I don't find it especially hard being a moderator. But I don't really mind working all that much. I'll sit here and move topics for 30 minutes, and be absolutely fine with that. So take that into mind as you listen to my opinion!

I don't really think we need more mods right now. There doesn't seem to be an above average, or hard workload currently. Of course, I haven't been around as much because of my grandmother's disease/death. But just browsing the mod forums and reports, it doesn't seem to be that busy. Summer is when it gets harder, but I suppose we'll take that as it comes. :)

I suppose it couldn't hurt having more, but I don't really see it as being needed.

there you go, from the horses mouth :D

thanks annastacia

I suppose it couldn't hurt having more, but I don't really see it as being needed.

Not that I have a lot to add to the converstaion, since it has pretty much answered the OP's question. But I did just want to point out that, actually, it can hurt to have too many mods, Anna. No matter how much you try, two different people will approach rules and rules enforcement from differing points of view. So, with too many mods, you get too many slightly different flavors of rules being enforced. Plus, with more mods, you increase the chances of one or more of them trying to become their own clique and exercising power foolishly. If there is a small number, it is easier to stand united. I've watched exactly this thing happen. One of the forums I was/am a member on had a split between its mods over some argument or another. And today, there are two forums. I would never, ever want something like that to happen here.

This thread got to 11 pages before it was closed, and was open for well over a month... :/
I mean, not that it was a bad thread or anything, just kinda illustrates my point about a few extra pairs of eyes not being a bad idea.

This thread got to 11 pages before it was closed, and was open for well over a month... :/
I mean, not that it was a bad thread or anything, just kinda illustrates my point about a few extra pairs of eyes not being a bad idea.
That particular thread was definitely seen by more than one moderator. It was even moved to that section from Chit Chat by a moderator. So it wasn't a case of it going unseen. It was (rightly so) SirM's choice to close it. Despite the fact that the thread was entirely harmless and stayed on topic.

These days at almost any given time (give or take a few minutes), there are always a few mods online - visible. Discounting even the invisible ones.
Personally I do not see the need for more :)

No matter how much you try, two different people will approach rules and rules enforcement from differing points of view.
And that's exactly what happened with the above thread.

Certainly if the requests for yet more forums and sub-forums is met, more could be needed... However, I wonder if it's possible to set 'levels' of moddity? For instance, a couple of bobs to tidy up in the more general sections, but not have power in the fish bits? It would save a lot of effort for the main mods as the general sections can get a bit tricky to navigate and pass judgement on.

I heard you have to have been convicted of at least three murders to be a mod... Apparently the experience helps.
well you gota make your bones you know!

.... and you have to live in Royston Vasey

i think that is more a state of mind, than a place. but i do agree.

modding can be fun, it can be a down right pain. all in all worth the time. IMO
though being a super mod, the $hit comes at you from all sides, just you have someone else a bit down the line to blame!!

That particular thread was definitely seen by more than one moderator.
I saw that thread as well and thought it was off topic where it was, but ultimately, I did nothing with other then watch it because it stayed on topic, was harmless, and we get slagged mecilessly for closing things which are against the rules.

Discounting even the invisible ones.

I am on often, but am not "visible".

I used to run my own parenting forum. Moderating is easy. Its no big deal. Dont know why people make it out to be lol.

And this parenting forum had a multinational membership of several thousand members of a mixed age group ranging from early teens to retirement and covered a huge genre of different types of parenting which all require different knowledge and skills did it ?

That is like comparing apples to pears i'm afraid, while the moderating here certainly isnt difficult it is far from easy too and especially in the summer months when the kids are off school and bored and at christmas when many new fishkeepers enter the hobby.

And this parenting forum had a multinational membership of several thousand members of a mixed age group ranging from early teens to retirement and covered a huge genre of different types of parenting which all require different knowledge and skills did it ?

That is like comparing apples to pears i'm afraid, while the moderating here certainly isnt difficult it is far from easy too and especially in the summer months when the kids are off school and bored and at christmas when many new fishkeepers enter the hobby.

Why do you have to say something like that? There is no need to put it that way.

No matter how many members it had, which was over 200, its still a moderators position. And when you have a bunch of bitchy mums arguing with one another, you have to do quite a bit of work, but who cares, its all in the name of fun.

Why do you have to say something like that? There is no need to put it that way.

No matter how many members it had, which was over 200, its still a moderators position. And when you have a bunch of bitchy mums arguing with one another, you have to do quite a bit of work, but who cares, its all in the name of fun.

you must admit though, the job you did on your forum, cant really compare with moding on TFF. and if i were a mod here, i would have had the same reaction as CFC. though i am some years away from, being even close to mod quality for TFF.

Of course they have a hard job. They have to wade through my "reports", with the following titles:

Spam.
Shhpam.
S-pam!!!
Spaaahaaamm.
Spam cake.
Spam galore.
Spam, spam, spam.
Green eggs and spam.

Sorry. It gets boring after reporting the nth number of spammers, gotta mix it up a bit :p

At least yours are fun, my reports are boring and just the facts. Hey, it's like Dragnet, you're the cool guy, I'm the by the books guy! Except we're not guys. :lol: Spamalicious. Wham, Spam, Thank you m'am. A few new ones for you, FKNM. :lol:

Seriously, and back on topic, I think the mods, at least in the places where I frequent the most, do a great job. Though I can see myself in that kind of position, I think there are enough moderators now to keep TFF running smoothly.

Most reactions

Back