Miss Wiggle And Big Ian's First Marine Tank!

Nitrate isn`t going down past 25 ppm.
were using brand new salt. ro from a brand new machine and doing a 20% weekly water change....
Why do we have so much nitrate in our tank?

Well Ian, that might just be where your bioload is set. Also remember, as nitrates get lower and lower, it becomes more and more difficult to remove them via water changes. 20ppm without any real nitrate-reducing equipment isnt anything to be worried about. If I were you, I'd add a few more corals to help filter feed and process nitrates :)

Well Ian, that might just be where your bioload is set. Also remember, as nitrates get lower and lower, it becomes more and more difficult to remove them via water changes. 20ppm without any real nitrate-reducing equipment isnt anything to be worried about. If I were you, I'd add a few more corals to help filter feed and process nitrates :)

yay more corals! :D

we've been looking and eyeing things up the last week or so. I get paid on thursday might treat us to something :D

so with 150 watt of lighting on a 30 gal tank can we have hard corals? if we stick them near the top of the reef?

so with 150 watt of lighting on a 30 gal tank can we have hard corals? if we stick them near the top of the reef?

what's the green one we wanted hun... can't remember what it's called :rolleyes:

wich green one we wanted?

(not that it matters as i can`t remember the names of any of them

wich green one we wanted?

(not that it matters as i can`t remember the names of any of them

the carpety type one they had in pft that was stuck to the thing so they couldn't get it off, but then they managed.... ha ha that sounds coherant doesn't it! :lol: and they had the same one in interfish too

yea thats the one........

still don`t know the name of it

Lol, you guys are awesome 8)

You can for sure keep any LPS under a 150watt halide and you could also succeed with most SPS if you keep them at the top of the rock stack. Remember that SPS prefer very high current while LPS are usually more of a medium flow coral. It is possible to blow the flesh off of an LPS if you stick it right under a point-jet of a powerhead, but pretty tough to really do the same to an SPS ;)

Lol, you guys are awesome 8)

You can for sure keep any LPS under a 150watt halide and you could also succeed with most SPS if you keep them at the top of the rock stack. Remember that SPS prefer very high current while LPS are usually more of a medium flow coral. It is possible to blow the flesh off of an LPS if you stick it right under a point-jet of a powerhead, but pretty tough to really do the same to an SPS ;)

:lol: thanks :blush:

we'll go the lfs tonight and have a good chat to them about what they've got in. I know they won't sell us anything we can't keep happily.

we've pretty good circulation all round the tank but there's some lower and higher flow spots so we can move things around to find a decent place for whatever we get :D :good:

Most reactions

Back