Malaysian Trumpet Snails

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

George Farmer

ad aqua
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with these? From the bit of research I've done they sound great for a planted tank - turning over the substrate, eating detritus and algae. Too good to be true?

I've just put 3 largish (15 to 25mm) specimens into my 34G - I don't think they'll take over too much as I have 2 Botia striata.

I have them in my 20 gallon planted tank and my plants are thriving and they make cleaning the gravel a lot easier. Its also great when they start breedign and you see little baby ones climbing up the glass. No tsure if the botias will eat them or not as they have extremely hard shells but htey are perfect the perfect invertebrae for a planted tank!

lol am I the only one that hates snails??!!

I have 2 types of snail in my tank and I don't know the name of either but my 3 botia are already eating them.

I've read many times when looking about how to get rid of snails how good snails are...that they eat algae, food waste and turn over the substrate....its still not convincing me...they are creepy little things...go botia!!

Good luck with your new snails!

I have never willingly introduced a snail into any of my tanks. I have therefore, many. (Apple Snails for infusoria production is not "tanks" in the context of this post!)

The MTS is the one I worry about the least. During the day they are pretty much out of sight, as you say, turning over the substrate. At night they swarm all over the tank, but don't seem to bother plants.

I remove every one I see, which makes a negligable impact on the resident population. I have Botias in a couple of tanks, but there are still always a few MTS.

I have these in my tank.

I havent seen them eat algae. As lateral said they stay mostly hidden during the day and come out at night. Have a look at your tank in a couple of months time after off lights off and look a c couple og hours later and you will see how many you really have. ;)

I havent had any trouble with these eating any plants.

At one point i was was quite run over with them but last 3-4 months i havent has as many as i did have for some reason. Also my rams pick up the small snails and either suck the snails out of their shells or just spit them back out again?

Your Botia will probably keep your snails under control population wise. They may not be able to eat the largest snails because MTS have very hard shells.

HTH

they muliply like crazy, i started off with one or two and now i have hundreds. i pull some out every once in a while, but they don't seem to do any harm to my plants

IMO/E they are a benefit to have in tanks . :)

i got one in my tank via a plant by mistake, has been reproducing ever since and helping the tank alot :nod:

DD

I have also been tempted to consider these snails (having sand substrate) but worry that they (at a young stage) might get sucked into my filter...thoughts anyone?

:*I started out with z couple from plants my son gave me. Now, hve LOTS in a sand substrate. They are great. Plants not being effected, but do churn up the sand. Is fun to watch the little ones. Have had no problems with them in the filter. If you lose some, sos what??

Thanks, tlc! :) I have learned tonight they seem to be hot property on Ebay - so extras could well find a home! :D

So long as they don't damage my filter, lol!

i like it when you get up in the morning to find "crop circles" all over the sand!!!

i've never had a problem with them, i think they're just ugly when all over your tank glass, which is why some people hate them!

Most reactions

Back