Making My 800 Gal.... Bigger

Well I'm still shooting video, and I think I'm going to make a DVD of the build when it's complete, along with some "never before seen footage" LOL I'm in good spirits but I'm just sittinmg here with my thumb you know wherewaiting for the silicone to cure and for my wife to get home so I can go play in the basement with some return lines and some under gravel jets :D

By the way.... The heat system works awesome. It got 150 gallons from 46* to 66* in under two hours, then this morning I cranked it up to 80*For fun :good:

Thank you!!!!!

Up Date:
Well…. It’s been two hours and SHE HOLDS! The extra pipe running back into the sump because the pump was a little too much seems to be doing it’s job well! The tanks been running for about an hour now and all seems to be well!!!!!!!! So let me ask you… Did you enjoy the drama? LOL I didn’t. It took over six hours for me to fill this time, and my feet hurt from pacing back and forth! But who cares about me… I took a few pictures so we can go step by step through the saga of filling…
In this picture you’ll see that I’ve got the spray bar plumbed in. I decided in order to force myself to slowly fill the tank that I would fill the sump, shut the water off, then use the pump to pump the water into the tank. Then while the sump was filling from the tap again it would give me time to inspect everything. Then with one final inspection after the sump was full I’d plug the pump in adding 150 ish more gallons to the tank. It took eleven times in order to completely fill the tank.

001-2.jpg

Here are the spots where it leaked every other time it was filled. These were the spots where I closely inspected about five times after every time 150 ish gallons was put in the tank. The white line that you see in the pictures is the ¾ decking of the deep end, water would slowly dribble out from the top of it:

002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

004-2.jpg

Now here’s the spray bar in action giving the tank a nice shower every half hour or so:

009.jpg

010.jpg

And here’s Max coming to inspect my work! LOL Future county building inspector! LOL

007-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

And here’s a slide show of the fill:

Then when the tank spilled a tiny bit of water into the sump tank I stopped filling it and started to just fill the sump tank. When both containers were at maximum then it was sitting at what I call “Idle” This mimics a power outage or when I unplug the pump to do a water change.

023.jpg

Somewhere in the middle of filling the tank I completed the plumbing return lines and the overflow line back to the sump:
Here’s the “overflow” line:

011.jpg

Unfortunately I did not get a picture of the line that feeds the under gravel jets. But it’s nothing exciting really, and hopefully you tube will let me get some videos up to night… You’ll see it then…

Since everything was plumbed and the tank and sump were full it came time to fire it up, and fire it up we did. Everything seems to work well, the water level has stayed the same though I did have to tone down the spray bar a bit. My theory is that once all the jets are in place it might slow things down enough where neither return line will have to be toned down.

026.jpg

The water level is holding steady at about an inch and a quarter down from the top. I wanted and inch and a half but what’s a quarter amongst friends? LOL

024.jpg

025.jpg

p.s. I did and have been shooting video so hopefully some day you tube will remove it’s head from it’s rear and allow them to get uploaded! I will not cheat anyone of the videos! BUT I’m considering making DVD’s of the whole process and selling them for like $5 to help fund the project and MFR. Think they’d sell? Of course there’d be bonus content of the fish room and videos I didn’t upload… Like my little rant about Sanitred LOL
Sorry about the massive post and tons of pictures taking forever to upload. Some sites only allow five pictures per post so on those sites I’ll be making multiple posts! Thanks again for looking… And oh, in the past hour or so the tanks temperature has gone up FIVE degrees!
TFG, MFR, JJS

WOO HOO!!!!! :D :good: :D :good: :D :good: It looks great!! i like how in the slide show, you can see the water level moving up but each time something is different like the position of the vacuum or a cup gets inserted lol...I hope Max approved of the work, it'd be to much to do over at this point! lol...

So whats next? do you have to cycle anything? lol

great work m8

pics are great we can see wot yuo are on abt lol

hopefully u can upload a video or two so we can see it

hope its still not leaking fingers cross still

keep it up m8 its goodthat u not given up

great job A+++++++++++++++++=

:good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good: :good:

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top work Jon! Glad the little lad seems to like it as well, as his dad is a flamin genius!

Looks awesome mate, can't wait to see the vids! Oh aye, I'd get a DVD so long as you can post it out to the UK.

Can't wait to see the vids when youtube starts to behave. Bad youtube!

Do you take PayPal? If you do, I'm in for a copy.

Awesome work on the tank, keep the pictures coming.

Have you ever considered youtube-ing all your other tanks in the basement/house? I have caught glimpses of the other stuff, and it looks great. Would love to see the inner workings of all of them

You might not want to sell them and post them to us.

People might start showing up to see it themselves.

I love seeing these pictures, but all they make me want to do is stick my own engineering face into the project. I simply have to see the video and will gladly pay whatever cost to see all the footage.

Your extremely pleasing to listen to, your detailed, and your talking to us, not at us. This will be an amazing watch. Even if you don't go public with the DvD's PM the few of us that ask, ill gladly still pay for a copy.

And don't go thinking you can stop now! we still need full coverage on

Substrate
Flora
Fauna

And a personal interest of mine is your actual biological and mechanical filtering. With the way your setup your prime for a super-sized Vert-FSB (fluidized sand bed). (project for another day lol)

Keep up the amazing work Jon.

-Chairman Wood

Thanks for all the compliments fellas :blush: I'm not too sure about the flaming genious one though... LOL As for keeping the thread going... You can bet your a$$ I'll keep it going, now the fun stuff like the filter and decor and fish can be done! As for FBF's I considered it but we often lose power here out in the middle of nowhere... :crazy: Not to good for FBF's and I'm not setting up a battery back up for them either... I had a small confrence to go to this morning but when I got home I got this incredible burst of energy... I went out back and cut the top off a tree I cut down last year and put it in the tank! LOL It's 9' long, and the picture isn't all that great because of the bubbles on the glass... I couldn't find my magna sweep :angry:

004-3.jpg

003-2.jpg

Not only that but I got a half a ton of wash stone and brought most of it down to get ready to rinse it It was fun carying two five gallon pails full down stairs at a time... 12 buckets should do it...

002-2.jpg

AND I also brought in all of the decor that was under the pond liner outside the back door...

001-3.jpg

I'm begining to think there's seriously somethng wrong with me

As for the tank, the pump is dialed in and working well, things might change with that once all the jets are in but I'll deal with it... I plugged the pump back in at 6:45 am this morning and the heater had gotten the sump water up to 80*. After being gone for four hours the tank it's self climed 11* up to 72*... Then I decided to shut the thermostat off, there was no real reason to heat the tank up just to drain it Saturday AM... After I'm done posting it's down to the fish room for a few hours to start cleaning gravel, then I've got parent teacher confrences to night... I hate when life gets in the way of fun stuff... anyone wanna come over and rinse a half a ton of gravel? As for the DVD's, I'm going to make them, but only once the tank is complete and all the painting has been done in the room and such... Then I'll make them available and maybe put a few on aquabid or ebay... Now as for being extremely pleasing to listen to... My kids would probably disagree with you when all I seem to do is yell at them! LOL My brother's got a T-shirt that says "I YELL Because I CARE! LOL

keep up the good work but got to ask will we see the finished prooduct or will we have to buy a dvd if so better start saving :good:

all of the decor under the snow then or is it now covered in snow or no

anyway looking great cant wait to see more of it and wen its all done be great

may buy the dvd lol

great post cant wait to see more freat job

yell at kids we love them really :good:

First off, your tank is seriously wicked! :hyper: I've got a bad case of jealousy here. Well done sir; well done.

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but are you doing anything for humidity? Maybe you're just fortunate enough to have a really dry basement to begin with, but if not do you have any dehumidifiers running with their drains back into the sump or anything?

Kudos :good:

The decor only had about an inch of snow on it, but it was under pond liner so no big deal :) The gravel was starting to freeze as I was shoveling it into the buckets LOL and the tree was surrounded by thorns.... Yee ha...

As for the humidity... I put a moisture resistant material on all the wood in the room the tank is in. Adding a dehu would be a gross waste of electricity in my opinion :)

Most reactions

Back