Making Detritus For My Triops

Zhuria

Reaction score
So from what I've been reading, this would be an effective way to make detritus with proper nutrients and food in it for my Triops hatchlings?

1. Chop up some hay (timothy grass hay)
2. Soak hay in aquarium water for a few hours
3. Remove it and dry it out

I chose hay because I have access to as much of it as I need, and I have an established aquarium that I think would be better to soak it in than the Triops' water because I know it has a lot of smaller organisms swimming around in there that would make great food, and it's been established a lot longer.

Did I read correctly - will this work? After I dry it out, how long can it be stored before using? Like, could I make a lot of it, then store them for when I need to hatch some Triops?

Thanks in advance!

Detritus grow infusoria, so stop thinking "growing detritus" and start thinking "growing infusoria".
Supposedly turnips are really good, check out this article.

http://freshaquarium.about.com/b/2007/12/30/infusoria-culture.htm

Oh I know! But I thought the detritus was needed to provide an "environment" like they'd have in the wild? Am I wrong, do I just need infusoria? I always wondered why I was putting in distilled water if I was just going to throw dirt in it anyway.. haha

That is a really interesting article, I'm going to have to go buy some turnip!

Oh, here's another thing I was wondering - would liquid fry food, the kind you buy in stores, be good for baby Triops? Or does it have to be infusoria?

Just curious! Thanks!

Theoretically, yes, but I've never heard of anyone trying it. Once I finish my first batch, and have eggs, I'll def try it out.

I doubt detritus creates an environment, and whatnot, I think it just makes infusoria. IF in doubt, just stick in a plant or something like that. Well, detritus can hurt, so I guess adding it would be good.

Thank you! I think it would be a fun experiment to start three batches, feed one with fry food, one with just infusoria and one with detritus+infusoria! I started my infusoria culture with turnip two days ago, so I'm excited to see how that goes.

I think I will start harvesting eggs soon, my girls have been quite busy filling the sand with eggs for me.

I read somewhere they need to dry for 2 weeks, but I'm sure I read somewhere else that you can also freeze them for a time and that will work too. Has anyone tried this with any success? I don't want to wait 2 weeks.. ;P

Most reactions

Back