Made a rescue, probably shouldnt have

yeah thanks for darn near making me pee my pants there CFC.... thought that my only brother in arms over those fish with the big useless tails had gone soft on me. I am sure though that even the blind one will do fine. his body conditioning didn't look all that bad with some time and TLC would probably even get used to your hand holding a bit of frozen shrimp or something for him . I am never convinced that a fish is totally blind unless the eyes are totally missing. I am sure that with the lateral line sensing the pressure changes and that he can see shadows of something moving that he would see your hand but a bit of food right in front of him will probably go a long ways.

:lol: Great attention grabber for a title. Wonderful fish by the way, they have stunning colors. (Duh Mina...-Peacock- you twit :look: ) I feel so sorry for them being in with the aquatic version of a food processor. Jeesh, those are some wicked looking catfish... *shudders*

"Furniture" - Not a suitable aquarium fish. In nature, inhabits grassy margins of deep, still or slow-flowing ponds or pools with a mud or silt substrate near the banks of rivers.

Husbandry

Feeding - According to Smith (1945) in his Freshwater Fishes of Siam, "Their great size, large mouth, and formidable teeth enable them to kill and devour almost every kind of fish." Their diet in the wild is consists of mainly cyprinids (barbs, Rasboras, etc).

Compatibility - See feeding. Handle with care : this species bites strongly if handled!

Suggested Tankmates - None.
Link to info

What are people doing selling these monsters anyway? Only really experienced aquarists should have them...I bet just anyone could have gone in there and bought that guy...*cringe*

But I am so glad you saved those two peacock bass, they would have become meals sooner or later. (probably sooner from looking at that fish)

I was looking forward to seeing CFC with a betta. Anyways those fish are very lucky that you got them .. They will have a good home now.. :kewlpics:

I wasn't disapponited I was excited to find out it wasn't bettas but, was instead pike cichlids. I didn't veiw this post to see the bettas I veiwed it to see if CFC really joined the so called "Dark Side" :p

They're not pike Cichlids, peacock bass are the genus Cichla which contains around half a dozen very similar looking species where as pikes are the genus Crenicichla which is a much larger and more diverse group. Wild peacock bass see pike Cichlids as a food source, as well as pretty much anything else that swims past them.

As for the dark side, hell would freeze over before i'd keep a betta :lol:

The blind one is already hand feeding taking small frozen fish from my fingers when offered, the better conditioned one is however still reluctant to feed with other larger fish around.

Just adding this picture on the end of this as i need it for another thread

Attachments

• labiobarbus.jpg
    labiobarbus.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 38
Nah, it wasn't the bettas that got me in here, it as the fact that you would even consider putting something to do with bettas in your topic title! :p :lol:

Beautiful, fantastic fish CFC! :thumbs:

Anyone have CFC's address? We need to just mail him a betta out of the blue :D Nobody has the heart to turn a betta at their doorstep down! We don't even need to put a return address on it >_>

Sure send as many as you like, the monsters love to have friends over for dinner :shifty:

Pfft, send him a real giant betta then. I don't know why you don't like them, and anyway, not all of us have room for anything bigger than 3'' :dunno: Such as me.

I should imagine they would be, the fins are considered the most nutritious part of a fish and bettas have loads of finnage :hyper:

just think, all these people with tons of bettas..

If they didnt buy any and saved their money they could have some pretty big tanks, and fill it with fish such as CFC. See, he doesnt buy bettas and ends up with big tanks and great fish :p

Most reactions

Back