Looking To Get An Algae Eater...what Kind?

tameem

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Id like to add some kind of algae eater to my tank. It;s been running cycled for at least 3 months or so. I bought a BN catfish, which I know are some of the best choises, but the poor thing died the next day! My water parameters were just fine, and I test it daily. I found him belly side up! He may have just not been able to acclimate to the tank and the stress got to him. Im afraid to get another one, besides, it cost me like $12 dollars!

anyway, I saw at the store this rubber lip pleco that Petsmart has, which doesn't grow too large. Im not sure if its trully a good community fish though, as I havn't heard of this species.
And I know the otocinclus, they stay rather small, but can be senstive to water conditions, and often dont last long, I've heard.

Any other hardy, community algae eater that doesn't grow bigger then say 4 or 5 inches, that I can consider? many get just way too big and are not an option for me!

I have 6 BA tetras, 6 cories, and 3 swordtails

Thanks,
-Adam

Id like to add some kind of algae eater to my tank. It;s been running cycled for at least 3 months or so. I bought a BN catfish, which I know are some of the best choises, but the poor thing died the next day! My water parameters were just fine, and I test it daily. I found him belly side up! He may have just not been able to acclimate to the tank and the stress got to him. Im afraid to get another one, besides, it cost me like $12 dollars!

anyway, I saw at the store this rubber lip pleco that Petsmart has, which doesn't grow too large. Im not sure if its trully a good community fish though, as I havn't heard of this species.
And I know the otocinclus, they stay rather small, but can be senstive to water conditions, and often dont last long, I've heard.

Any other hardy, community algae eater that doesn't grow bigger then say 4 or 5 inches, that I can consider? many get just way too big and are not an option for me!

I have 6 BA tetras, 6 cories, and 3 swordtails

Thanks,
-Adam

what size of tank do u have?

and what are your water paramters???

i just picked up a rubbernose pleco a few days ago. they get about 6 inches long(many years of growing) and are very peaceful. i hardly see mine though, and i think hes still gettin use to the tank. there is an algae build up since taking my common pleco to the store and he needs to get working!!

55 gallon tank

0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, pH around 7.5
tank has been cycled for about 3 months or more.

I was so upset when I found that BN catfish belly up! I read so much about them and how great of a algae eater they are, and on his first day he was sucking on the glass, but for the most part didnt move much.

Id like to get some additional fish, too. but not sure what kind would go well with the semi aggressive BA tetras, although having 6 they are fairly peaceful, as are the black skirt tetras, which I forgot to mention I also have in my tank! (see signature below)

55 gallon tank

0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, pH around 7.5
tank has been cycled for about 3 months or more.

I was so upset when I found that BN catfish belly up! I read so much about them and how great of a algae eater they are, and on his first day he was sucking on the glass, but for the most part didnt move much.

Id like to get some additional fish, too. but not sure what kind would go well with the semi aggressive BA tetras, although having 6 they are fairly peaceful, as are the black skirt tetras, which I forgot to mention I also have in my tank! (see signature below)

i would give bn's another go
there great!

my first one i bought from a lfs died the same way quite quickly.

so never bought them from lfs again , get them privately all mine i have now are privaet and they all do great :good:

Rubbernoses would be fine but are more likely to keel over on you than BNs.

Get another BN, though try to avoid really small ones as they tend to be more sensitive.

In my experience, they can be stubborn as hell to feed, too. For the longest time, I was forced to culture algae in a kiddie pool in my back yard to get them to eat.

I like my otos, but I give bristlenose another vote. If you can, get one that's around 2.5-3 inches long, which is a good bit bigger than I usually see them sold, but they're tough as nails when they've got some more age behind them.

I've just got two little BN's for the algae in my 10 gal. Well I like them anyway but at least they'll have pleanty to eat till the tank stabilises and stops producing algae.

try another bristle nose but check that its stomach isnt sunken because they will probably die eventually if its sunken

try another bristle nose but check that its stomach isnt sunken because they will probably die eventually if its sunken

not entirely true the suken belly could just be lack of food beens they have been in a pet shop, they dont tend 2 feed them 2 wot they need ive had a few which have had a slightly sunken belly just make sure they have plenty 2 eat and as little stress as poss just 2 encourage them eating and they should be fine.

ill also agree with a BN they are extreamly hardy usually and excellent algae eater u mite of just had a bad 1 depending on wot u can get try for at least 2-3 inches and it should be fine.

jen

what i'd suggest is to put the new BN in the tank, see where he's hiding away and put a large chunk of cucumber/courgette right near his hiding place. :good:

Keep feeding him lots of vegeables over the first few days

I tried this with ottos and it worked great.

Does the algae eater have to be a fish? My nerite snails are superb at keeping algae down. The only problem with them is that if you ever need to medicate the tank, you'll need to remove them first.

i just picked up a rubbernose pleco a few days ago. they get about 6 inches long(many years of growing) and are very peaceful. i hardly see mine though, and i think hes still gettin use to the tank. there is an algae build up since taking my common pleco to the store and he needs to get working!!

I have a Rubbernose too (scares the hell out of me), and I've read that they LOVE rocks. I have a bunch of rocks and pots gathering algae in a bin outside, so a few days ago I finally got out one of the bigger rocks and put it in the tank, and my Rubbernose refuses to leave it. None of the other fish (especially the two Bristlenoses I have) are allowed on it. He'll chase them off. I'm seeing him more often than I used to, though he's still pretty skittish about sudden movements (which apparantly is normal for rubbernoses)

Most reactions

Back