Live Plants Temp?

jack03

Reaction score
Hi,

what is the minimum temp. of a live plants? because my live plants died at the temp. of 27.5C.

Thanks in advance.

It really depends on the plant, but I think most can stand much lower temps than that. I would check your lighting as most aquariums can only support a few types of very low light plants as is. To keep the majority of plants, you would probably have to increase your lighting.

Vallis & Sagitaria can survive in cold water down to 3 or 4 C. Most swordplants and crypts need to be kept at temps above 20C, however some swords will tolerate 3-4C as well. Most other plants are tolerant of cool water around 10-15C or above.

If you plants are rotting it could be you have marsh plants and not true aquatic plants. Marsh plants are able to stand upright when removed from water, whereas true aquatics will usually fall over when taken out of water. Hygrophillas, crypts & swords are the exception. They will grow under water and above it in a marsh setting.

Can you tell us about your tank, how much light you have, any plant foods you put in, PH and so on?

i have 10g tank 6 balloon mollies , PH is 7.0.

idk what my plants is but i'll show u the pic.

and also my lighting idk what type is it, i'll just put here what show in the box.

lighting = AC100V 50Hz | AC100V 60Hz
22W
FL20
FG-1P
60.7x12.0x8.6cm
1.6kg
1.0m

is my lighting good? and also i'm curious about CO2 what does its role in the aquarium, it is better to get one? i don't have food plant idk what is that?

CIMG0636.jpg

CIMG0635.jpg

You have a 22watt light unit that should be fine on a 10gallon tank. It isn't the brightest light but certainly should be ok for growing some plants.
Have the light on for about 12 hours per day. If you start to get lots of algae then decrease the lighting period. If the plants do well and no algae grows you can increase the lighting period a bit. You can have the lights on for up to 16 hours per day.

The globe in the light is another thing to look at. You want a globe with a temperature or Kelvin (K) rating between 4,000K and 10,000K. Most globes have a 4-6,000K rating and should be fine for plants. The Kelvin rating should be on the actual globe near the end.

CO2 (carbon dioxide) is used by plants to grow. There is usually plenty in the water and air but you can add more if you want. It isn't recommended for small tanks or tanks with low light. I wouldn't worry about it at this stage.

You could add some iron plant fertiliser to help the plants. It does make a big difference to them.

You can post pictures in some areas of this forum but not all. Unfortunately in this section you can’t. Most people use a place like photobucket on the web, to store their pictures on and then use a link to the site. The link is put on the forum and people can click on it to see the picture.

thanks for the info you've given me, it helps a lot :)

one more thing,

aren't the fishes going to be stressed out, if i leave the light on for more than 12 hrs?

I don't think they'll be stressed out by that. If you give them a healthy water environment and the plants grow well they will appreciate the lighting variation provided by the plants. Access to sheltering plants is often a way to relieve stress on fish.

Jack, is that an incandescent fixture? I find it unlikely that you have 22W of fluorescent in a 18 inch long light fixture. If it is incandescent, it would be better to go out and get some screw in fluorescents. They have 10W bulbs a Walmart's pet department that are only a few dollars and will remove some of the heat from your tank while giving it better lighting for plants with only 20W total power consumption. If you only have a single screw in socket, a 13W spiral bulb will work for low light plants. I have a 10 gallon set up that way and it grows java ferns and java moss just fine.

Most reactions

Back