Live food for dummies

I mean...

20230707_144621.jpg
20230707_144556.jpg

🤢🤢🤢

Well that lasted all of 2 seconds 🧐

How would one go about harvesting on a bigger scale? The water they're in is really gross and I don't want it in my tank! How do I 'clean' them before I feed them?
I take a bucket of dechlorinated water to my mosquito bucket and put them into that after I scoop them out of the mozzie bucket. Then I use a pippete to suck them out of that bucket into a smaller container of clean water.

I take a bucket of dechlorinated water to my mosquito bucket and put them into that after I scoop them out of the mozzie bucket. Then I use a pippete to suck them out of that bucket into a smaller container of clean water.
Good plan Batman...thank you, that is very obvious to me now you've said it 😅🧐 I'm stupid you know...

What is this 'normal' you speak of??

mozzies lay egg rafts in clean water too. have some plant leaves on the bottom of the container, keep the container in the shade. use a fine mesh fish net to scoop the wrigglers out. rinse under tap water for a moment. add mozzie larvae to rainbowfish tank. rainbowfish breed 5 minutes later

You are correct.
They tend to be a bit better at evading the fish and are also faster. It can be much harder for the fish to eat them because they are larger and seem tougher.
There's a bug or two flying around the room I keep my fish. And I'm starting to wonder if the pupae I put in escaped the fish and developed into full grown mosquitos.
That's ok. Next time, I'll put the pupae in the freezer for a day before feeding them to my fish. We'll see how fast and tough they are then.

We have malaria in Florida now. I hope anyone raising mosquito larvae is responsible about it and the fish are getting them all. I won’t be trying that one.

We have malaria in Florida now. I hope anyone raising mosquito larvae is responsible about it and the fish are getting them all. I won’t be trying that one.
I think harvesting larvae actually prevents mosquitos overall. We feed the larvae to our fish. So they never become adults that bite people. If we didn't have out buckets out to do that, then those mosquitos would lay their eggs somewhere else where they would grow into adult disease spreading mosquitoes.

I've had the grindal worm culture going for almost 2 weeks now. I think today would be a good day to feed some of those to my fish.

Most reactions

Back