Little Simon and Petey

OrkyBetta said:
Bettamomma, you are love.

I am a vegetarian, I used to be vegan, but I couldn't keep up. Maybe I'll go back to it someday.

I work with horses, and trust me, you see a lot of crap in that business line, and I'm not talking horse crap. It's horrible, and mostly based off of human ignorance.

Grr now I got myself worked back up into a snit. Once, I visited PETA.org and just went through a ton of articles they had on the site. PETA might be crazy, but there's a lot of truth in there. It shocked me to my core on what I found there, and on a lot of other sites as well. I wish I weren't human sometimes. ut on the other hand, if I weren't human, who would help the animals I've saved?
EXACTLY.
I sometimes wonder how the world would be if it was animals in power over us.
With as forgiving, loyal and loving as they are I think the world would be a HELL of a lot better place.

:/

I have seen some pretty horrible things in the guinea pig rescue shelter also - a little pig who had been so underfed and neglected that his owners didn't even notice when his hair and skin started to literally fall off him because of a bad case of mites. He eventually got so bad he had seizures. That was the point where they decided to hand him over. Several vet visits, hundreds of dollars and a pretty major attachment to his human foster mom later, the poor little guy died because the seizures got to be too much. She was completely devistated.

That's life, unfortunately.
They're at our mercy.

I guess all we can do is make a difference as much as we can. One person can totally make a difference! Even if it is just to a few animals. Sometimes all we can do is try and make the animal's last few days happy and as comfortable as possible.

I know how your friend feels, after losing that gunea pig. After my dog shook my chick to death, after it was SO close to recovery, and I had attached to it SO much, to find it across the room, neck snapped back and cold was pretty horrid.

You should try watching people mercilessly beat a horse for being a horse.

One of the racehorses got loose today down at the Equestrian Center, and when his owner finally got a hold of him, he beat him across the face with a chain.

I don't blame the horse for running, personally. In fact, I would not blame the horse for ANYTHING that poor boy did at this point.

Sorry to hear about your chicken, Orky. :rip: little chick.

One of the racehorses got loose today down at the Equestrian Center, and when his owner finally got a hold of him, he beat him across the face with a chain.

That is just sick. :grr: How'd he like it if someone did that to him!?!?! If I knew him, I'd have a pretty hard time preventing myself from seriously injuring him.

As for the photos, BM: Petey is gorgeous! He has lovely colouring. The tank looks very nice too. :)

BettaMomma, you do so much for these bettas where if they could talk I'm sure they'd just be saying "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" You have saved so many little lives. :)

I worked with an abused horse for about 5 months (the stable sold him before I had enough money to buy him) and one day a trainer there got kicked because she walked behind him, and everyone knew if you walked behind Darn he will attempt to kick you, and started beating him with the metal clips on the end of the cross ties! :angry: She was fired on the spot, and I haven't seen her since.

The things some people do to animals...

Kiarra said:
You should try watching people mercilessly beat a horse for being a horse.

I don't blame the horse for running, personally. In fact, I would not blame the horse for ANYTHING that poor boy did at this point.
I think (and I'm being 100% completely serious when I say this) that if I had seen that happening, I would have taken off on a dead sprint and full on tackled that person, grabbed them by the scruff of their neck and said "What the HELL are you doing???" And it would have been a miracle if I wasn't beating their head against the asphalt while asking.

It's probably a good thing that I have never really witnessed intentional animal cruelty going on right in front of my face (aside from betta neglect, etc.) because I'm sure my adrenaline rush would be so fierce that I could severely hurt someone without even realizing what I was doing.

Did you call and report that guy to anyone?

The tank itself came with a divider - but using just the divider doesn't work - they get around it on either side. So, i bought some craft canvas and cut it so it fits tight up against the sides. Works like a charm. OH, I have them both in there too - the divided that came w/the tank and the canvas. Not all minibows come with the dividers yet, but most are starting to. You just have to look on the front of the box to see if it say "Betta Divider Included".

I saw the loose horse, but I had to take my Mustang mare into her stall and get back into the building in a hurry. My mother actually saw him hit the horse. He was asked to leave the premises immediately, and to not return.

I've seen some of the worst abuses perpetrated against the Mustangs, and heard of many more. I am part of the committee for a Wild Horse & Burro Festival (where I've been for the last two days), and we have heard all kinds of abuse stories, including a Mustang saddle-trained with a BARBED WIRE bit in his mouth. Can you imagine that? Any time that bit so much as moved, it would tear into his tongue and upper palate.

One of my geldings was taken to a reputable trainer and, several weeks into training, in a fit of fury because the gelding was scared and misbehaving because he WAS scared, the trainer hit my gelding across the face multiple times so hard that it left lumps all over his face. We pulled the gelding out of that training immediately, but the damage was done. It's been a couple years, and that horse is scared of all but a couple men.

Most reactions

Back