Little Nemo Diary

Tank set-up, eggs moved.

Stats:
Temp: 80F
Salinity: 1.024
Volume: 4G (Extra gallon to cover up the powerhead)

New set-up from last time:
overviewy.jpg

Instead of using an airstone (the death of the previous eggs...) I am using an old powerhead to move the eggs around.

Close-up:
closeupu.jpg

At the bottom is a modified coffee filter as to not suck up any curious fry! I'm much much more optimistic about this set-up. No bubble worries, and the water flow is vigorously moving the eggs around at around the same speed as the male clownfish was.

And, the eggs, which have lightened up slightly (which is great!), something that didn't occur last time :)()
eggsf.jpg

They've been covered with a black trash bag and put to sleep! Let's hope for the best!

Wow, great job and thank you for journalling it :good:

please, please update the fish of the week clowns, thread with your pictures and comments
Seffie - could there just not be a link from the fish of the week thread to this thread?

oh wow cool about the coffee filter mod

Babies: Day 1
# of Babies: 2
Known Deaths: 1

I checked on them late last night, probably around 4am, and saw a little fry :) Unfortunately, the powerhead was blowing him horrendously. I turned it off, and he sank to the bottom :( The poor guy... So i kept the powerhead off and went back to plan B, I went back to the bubbler. I made sure to position everything so absolutely no bubbles even had a chance of hitting the eggs and then checked to see if they were moving. They were moving just as well as with the powerhead.

This morning I woke up to 2 more little fry. I had ordered a rotifer strainer about a wk ago, but my luck, it still hasn't came. So, I used a paper coffee filter to filter them and then rinsed the filter off in the tank; it seemed to work well. I checked and there are plenty of rotifers swimming around for them. They seem to be going after them and I can spot nice silver bellies on them both :)
One is significantly smaller than the other, hope that doesn't effect him. Hope more hatch tonight! I think me changing the tank around effected the rest of them hatching.

QUOTE (JustKia @ Oct 18 2009, 08:59 AM) *
Seffie - could there just not be a link from the fish of the week thread to this thread?

Great idea, wish I had thought of that blush.gif

Seffie x

That might make things easier :p

Cool! is it possible for all 200 to make it, imagine if they did! biggrin.gif that would be alot of clown fish! biggrin.gif

Would be cool, but very unlucky. The chances of all of them even hatching is not very good, and then many will die within the first few days and many more will die as they go through metamorphosis in about a week. Reading around, the general number seems to be 40-60 surviving clownfish per batch of eggs.

awsome any pics

Day 2

Baby Count: ~100
Known Deaths: 1

Water Stats:
Temp: 82F / 28C
Salinity: 1.024
pH: 7.8 (Didn't mean for it to drop [main tank is 8.3] but it is not harmful either so it will stay)
NH3: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: 20

Nice surprise this morning :)
Lots and lots and lots of babies swimming around!
I'm only able to guess/estimate the amount at the moment to be around 100, but I will get a more accurate count later.

All seem to be doing fairly well, nice big silver bellies on most! Added more rotifers (after filtering - rotifer filter still MIA) and green water to the tank; all are very active.

Leaving the eggs in for one more night to give any stragglers a chance, and then will be removing them tomorrow.

Hopefully buying a new camera later today, so pictures then :)

thats a good hatch rate going by what you said, lets just hope a good few survive now!

how long do you give them til you know a survival rate? (kinda like first 48 hours critical)

Re-looking at the fry, I think there are actually 60-80, but I will try and do a final count tomorrow incase anymore decide to hatch tonight.

New cameras rock :)

Overview of the tank (Note the nice green oooo ahhhh):
tankei.jpg

AND

A top view of the right side of the tank, I think you can spot about 25 Fry in the picture. Their size in the picture is pretty much exact to how small they really are.
topvieww.jpg

Day 3

Baby Count: 40
Known deaths: 3

Doesn't look like anymore babies hatched from last night, so I removed the pot and took a good look at it. It looks like a ton of the eggs did not hatch, although I don't know why. I put it back into the display tank and Mr. Daddy went right away to clean off the dead eggs.

daddyzu.jpg

I am pretty confident with the number of fry being 40 at this point, whether I was way wrong yesterday or many died last night, I am not sure. I looked, but could only find two new bodies on the bottom of the tank, so I'm hoping I was just way off in my estimate. Their activity seems to have slowed quite a bit, they're still hunting rotis a lot, but also seem to have got accustomed to eating things off of the glass as well. They also seem to be darkening up in color.

Baby Pictures for today:
baby1q.jpg

baby2q.jpg

^ (One baby came into focus really well towards the bottom of the picture)

And, the rotifer strainers finally came...
strainers.jpg

Small water change tonight hopefully, just to suction up all the stuff accumulating at the bottom of the tank.

Most reactions

Back