Liquid Test Kits - How To Perform And Read Tests

rebrn

Fishaholic
Reaction score
After reading a few posts I realized that many beginners, like myself, are unsure how to perform and read liquid test kits, so I thought I would try to write some simple instructions, a FAQ for test kits so to speak. I would really appreciate any and all input, epically from the experienced members, on how to make the article better.

So first what are liquid test kits? - LTKs are water test kits that use test tubes and liquid reagents to measure different parameters of your tank water. The 4 most important test kits are Ammonia, NitrIte, NitrAte and pH. Depending on your kits brand will come as pH, High Range pH, or Wide Range pH. So which pH version do you need? Well that depends on your pH levels, generally you want either pH and High Range pH or Wide range pH, you basically want a pH kit that covers pH values from roughly 6-9. Other test kits include KH and GH (other wise known as general and carbonate hardness), phosphate and copper. Generally Phosphate and Copper tests are not something you absolutely need to have unless you are keeping live plants or have some other problems in your tank. The Hardness tests (KH and GH) again is not something you need to test for on a regular basis, but good tests to have around when you are first starting out and again down the road if you run into problems.

So what brand should I use? - There are several brands on the market, and generally it comes down to personal choice and budget but the 3 most recommend brands on this forum are API (available individual tests around $10 US each or in a master kit for around $30 US), Hagen/Nutafin (available in a mini master kit for around $25 US, individual kits around $10 US or a master kit for approx $100 US), and finally Salifert (only available as individual tests around $15 US each and hard to find in stores generally needs to be ordered on-line, but much cheaper and more readily available in the UK)

What about Test Strips? - Well some people swear by test strips and have used them for years, however, on this forum they are not recommended as they do tend to be inaccurate and overall are much more expensive (usually around $2/test and the kits are around $0.05/test depending on the brand and test) so you can use test strips if you want, but take it from me, a beginner who learnt the hard way, it is just not worth it both cost wise and headache wise, just use the liquid test kit.

So how do I perform the tests? - Well this is simple read the instructions that came with your kit, there is usually a pamphlet that comes with the kit that has the directions, and/or they (depending on the band) can be found on the back of the colour cards. Every brand is slightly different but generally you put 5 ml of tank water into a test tube and add 3-10 drops reagent(depending on the type of test) into the tube shake and wait 5 minutes before reading. It should be mentioned here that some tests (i.e. ammonia and nitrAte) require 2 or 3 different reagent bottles. Generally for these tests they are labelled bottle 1, bottle 2, bottle 3, and you add the reagents according to the bottle number. As an example, the API ammonia test has 2 bottles, so you add your 5 ml of tank water, add 8 drops from bottle 1, add 8 drops from bottle 2, shake and wait 5 minutes. Also, as a general rule of thumb, the nitrAte tests (regardless of brand) tend to form solids in the bottle (this is usually the last bottle of the chain so usually bottle 2 or bottle 3 which ever is the last you add) and consequently needs to be shaken, especially if not used for a while, very very well before adding in order to get accurate results. Again as an example, API (this is the kit I use) recommends vigorously shaking bottle 2, the last bottle of the nitrAte kit, for 1 minute (or longer if not used for a while, say more then a week) before adding to the tube in order to break up an solids that may have formed. Again, it is important to read the directions for your particular test kit as each brand and each test will have slightly different directions.

OK so I have completed the test, following the directions, now how do I read the test? - LTKs use a colour scale and each Brand uses different colours, so as an example, Ammonia reading of 0 ppm with API is yellow, however, a 0 ppm ammonia reading with Hagen/Nutrafin will most likely be a different colour. So make sure you use the colour cards that came with your kit, don't use API colour charts with a Hagen/Nutrafin test. Again, you want to refer to your manufacturer directions on how to read, but generally, you want to place the tube against the white part of the card and compare colour hues (not necessarily the exact colour)with the colour chart. When I say hue what you are looking for is the present of a tint. Again an example from API with the ammonia test, anything that is not yellow is a positive result, so if you have any hint of a green tint, then you have ammonia present. This can be come problematic when cycling a tank and you need more precise numbers, particularly when doing a fish less cycle. It can be difficult to tell the difference between 3 ppm and 4 ppm of ammonia as they are both dark green, so again look at the hue, it should help you to determine the difference. Also as you become more familiar with testing, and your particular test kit, this will become easier to do. It is also important to note, that you should have a good light source behind you when you read your tests, incandescent light or natural sunlight, try to stay clear from CFB (compact fluorescent bulbs - you know the energy saving bulbs) as they tend to give everything a greenish tint and will skew your reading, if you don't have a good (un-tinted) light source it will be very difficult to read your tests properly.

What do I want my readings to be? - That all depends on weather you are in a cycle phase or a healthy tank. In an established tank you want your readings to be Ammonia 0 ppm, NitrIte 0 ppm, NitrAtes < 40 ppm (this is also what you are striving for at the end of a cycle). If you have anything higher then that during a fish-in cycle or an established tank you want to do water changes, anywhere from 20-90% depending on your readings (post your specific problem for more specific help with what to do). As for pH it really depends on what type of fish you are keeping, you will have to do research on that, but the most important thing is you want a stable pH, if you are having spikes or crashes with pH post your problem for possible solutions as there are different things you could do depending on your specific problem. If you are cycling you want your pH to be higher than 6, at 6 the bacteria go dormant and will not grow/reproduce, check out the link for the "Beginners Resource Centre" where you will find all the information you need on cycling a tank, the nitrogen cycle tank maintenance etc.: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/277264-beginners-resource-center/. It should also be noted that certain things added to your tank can change your pH; here are some examples curiosity of Oldman47:

Any source of calcium carbonate will raise the pH. That includes mineral rocks made of the stuff along with crushed shell and crushed coral. Another way that is used for a quick rise in pH is sodium bicarbonate, common baking soda, however it should be noted that baking soda acts very quickly so not the preferred method especially when fish are in the tank. Dropping pH depends on two main factors. The first is that the buffering capacity of the water must be low for any method to really work well. Once the buffering of the water is low enough you can drop pH with driftwood / bogwood, Indian almond leaves, oak leaves, sphagnum or peat moss or almost any organic material that releases a colour into the water.

What about expiration dates? - Expiration dates should be listed on the bottles of reagents themselves, or somewhere on the kit. One exception is API they don't list expiration dates, so you have to calculate those yourself. It is easy to do if you look at the lot number printed on the bottles. Here is what API told me:

Lot #: Last 4 digits = month/year of manufactured date

Lasts 3 Years from manufactured date
Ammonia
Nitrite
Calcium
High pH
Copper
GH
Phosphate

Lasts 4 Years from manufactured date
NitrIte
KH

Lasts 5 Years from manufactured date
Ph

If your particular brand of test kit does not list the expiration date be sure to contact the company and ask them how you figure out the expiration dates. Out of date kits will give you false readings.

So that is it the 101 of performing and reading test kits. Hope this helped to clear things up a little bit. And remember if you run into any problems, post and the experts on this forum will do their very best to help you through it.

Good write up a couple things I would add is to note that with the API test kits is to follow the instructions on the back of each card. Another thing is I would include what you should do once you get a reading for each one for example if you test for ammonia and its reading 1ppm tell them what they should do. Also mention what you want your readings to be for each one.

Great ideas, thanks. I have edited the first post to add your suggestions. It is a little hard to give specifics about what to do when your readings are out because it depends on how out they are, and the specific situation, cycling or established, etc., but I have add the basic idea of water changes, and the link to the Beginners Resource Centre, which will give more detailed instructions regarding cycling etc. Thanks again, great suggestions.

Another thing I thought of is you might wanna add how different things in your tank could give you different reading for example substances like crushed coral or plants

Another thing I thought of is you might wanna add how different things in your tank could give you different reading for example substances like crushed coral or plants

I thought about adding that but didn't for a couple of reasons, first I am not sure what all the different things are that can effect your readings, and second, there are so many things that could effect the different water stats that it could be an article all on its own. The thought process behind this article was really more a basic how to perform and read the tests as opposed to trying to solve all the problems that could be wrong with the water quality, like I said that could be an entire article on its own. In the spirit of trying to keep it simple, and on topic with just how to perform/read tests, adding all the different ways things could go wrong and how to fix them could make it confusing, especially for beginners. To keep the article simple and clean, I left that out, with the thought that people would post if they had problems and solve them as they come up for the specific issue. Does that make sense? :blush: But good input, maybe someone with more experience can write a separate article about the different things that could effect water stats, my beginner brain could not even begin to tackle that one :lol:

Looks good to me, I think it will be very helpful to new beginners. I agree with you about it getting too confusing adding all the variables that can go wrong and the things that could change water paramers, there is just too many of them and I think it would be too much to add. Anyway the article is about how to read and perform tests, not how to fix the problems (sorry erk628, no disrespect intended). The one thing I might add is a little blurb about expiration daetes, specifically with the API kits as they don't list expiration dates on the bottles. So for someone new it might be nice to know how to calculate your expiration dates with the API kits. Other then that great article, can you pin it, or can only moderaters do that?

Thanks Rookie. I didn't even think about the expiration dates, and you are right the API kits don't print the expiration dates, I will add that into the first post. Thanks again.

Edit: Ok added the information regarding expiration dates, thanks again. Wow this article is getting long :lol:
Keep the suggestions coming, thanks to everyone so far.

Actually the API kits include a code that is stamped on the bottles. As an example, my nitrate bottle #2 has a stamp 12B0507. It was manufactured in May of 2007. Since all of their tests are good for at least 3 years and some for 4 years, I have at least another 5 months that I can use that test with some confidence.

Actually the API kits include a code that is stamped on the bottles. As an example, my nitrate bottle #2 has a stamp 12B0507. It was manufactured in May of 2007. Since all of their tests are good for at least 3 years and some for 4 years, I have at least another 5 months that I can use that test with some confidence.

Hi OM you and I must have been typing at the same time :lol: Just finished adding that info to the article

I agree about not trying to list all the reason I was just suggestion to mention it for example some times different things in your tank such as plants sunstance etc can make your readings different compared to a tank that didn't have that. I was just think it might help someone who for example had a hi ph reading and could figure out why because there tap water isn't that high could realize that it might be something in the tank causeing that for example a rock they may have added a few days ago

I agree about not trying to list all the reason I was just suggestion to mention it for example some times different things in your tank such as plants sunstance etc can make your readings different compared to a tank that didn't have that. I was just think it might help someone who for example had a hi ph reading and could figure out why because there tap water isn't that high could realize that it might be something in the tank causeing that for example a rock they may have added a few days ago
I got you, sorry I mis read your previous post, that actually is a great idea, just to mention a couple of the most common, coral, driftwood. But before I add those, could you clarify that I am correct, cause like I said I am not sure on them. I know crushed coral increases pH, and I think driftwood lowers pH, is that correct? Also if you have any other common ones that I did not mention that would be great too I only know of coral and driftwood :blush: (again my main reason for not adding them was I wasn't 100% sure of them).

Someone else will have to chim in on that one cause I'm not sure the only one I know for sure about is coral will raise you ph.

:lol: No problem. Like I said in your post that made me think about doing this, maybe I should have left it to the experts :lol:

Any source of calcium carbonate will raise the pH. That includes mineral rocks made of the stuff along with crushed shell and crushed coral. Another way that is used for a quick rise in pH is sodium bicarbonate, common baking soda. It acts too quickly for me to like it much but it does work. Dropping pH depends on two main factors. The first is that the buffering capacity of the water must be low for any method to really work well. Once the buffering of the water is low enough you can drop pH with driftwood / bogwood, Indian almond leaves, oak leaves, sphagnum or peat moss or almost any organic material that releases a color into the water.

Thanks OM, if you don't mind I will add your quote to the post (of course I will give you credit) :good:

Most reactions

Back