Leo's 20g Tank Journal

excaliborg

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Been planning this for a while now as I wasn't happy with my old layout. Been looking at loads of layouts to decide the look I'm aiming for, and after a little planning and finding materials etc I was finally ready to get my hands wet.

The only new plant I've added is the Glosso, however unfortunately I had to leave this plant in the pot in my tank for 3 weeks without a water change and with 15 very hungry fish.... the result of which is a lot of dead or half eaten Glosso! I decided to plant it anyway in the hope it will pick up. If, eventually it does pick up I will think of spreading it over the entire substrate but I've a feeling that will never happen.

There is a Java Fern in the centre, 2 Anubis Nana plants, a few Vallis nana, and Lilaopsis brasilias.

I'm not too sure on the layout of the stones yet, however I'm happy with the sticks. The moss covering the sticks is weeping moss, and whilst I've had this moss for a while I've never actually done anything with it so am interested in how it looks given some decent lighting and conditions.

I'm looking for comments and suggestions regarding what I should do to the tank next, regarding changing stone placement or what plants to add in. I was thinking of a substrate nearly all covered in Riccia as I have LOADS of the stuff however maintenance wise, it would be a nightmare.

P.S Ignore the plants floating on top, they are just to increase biomass until I figure out what I am adding to the tank.

Attachments

• sDSC00221.jpg
    sDSC00221.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 146
  • sDSC00225.jpg
    sDSC00225.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 151
  • sDSC00228.jpg
    sDSC00228.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 147
Glossostigma require high lighting and lots of CO2. If you dont already have this
you may have to purchase them soon. But im sure you know that.

Mike

That layout could look really nice :) perhaps the wood is a bit long, but its an excellent start :) I like the java fern in the centre too, once that gets big it'll look cool with the wood 'emerging' out of a mass of java fern leaves.

Sam

EDIT - though I think you need more plants in there :)

That layout could look really nice :) perhaps the wood is a bit long, but its an excellent start :) I like the java fern in the centre too, once that gets big it'll look cool with the wood 'emerging' out of a mass of java fern leaves.

Sam

EDIT - though I think you need more plants in there :)

Thanks for the reply :) I agree, Definitely need more plants in there, I'm aiming to fill out the background behind all the twigs, however don't know what plant to use! All the tall stem plants I can think of won't really go with the layout. Would like it to be dark coloured moss and Anubis with a few highlights, such as the Java Fern.

The tank looks very nice so far and should progress well into a great layout. When I look at it, I think some Hemianthus micranthemoides would fit very well.

Okay, added some Riccia on slates to fill the substrate.

Also took a photo of my Java Fern and Brazillian Microsword.

And one of my Glosso, which i'm hoping will pick up.

Attachments

• sDSC00229.jpg
    sDSC00229.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 138
  • sDSC00230.jpg
    sDSC00230.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 131
  • sDSC00232.jpg
    sDSC00232.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 131
That Tank Looks excellent. The branches look very nice. :good: :good:

Thanks for the comments! Once the moss really starts to grow on the branches I will start cutting it to a good shape.

can I ask where you got your vallisneria nana and lilaeopsis?

greg

Pet City in Leeds for the Vallis, and Cheshire Waterlife in cheshire for the Lilaeopsis however Pet City also stock this. Any shop that sells Tropica will be able to order you some I would have thought. (Also got the Glosso from Pet City - was an impulse buy :drool: ) You can probably order off Aquaessentials.co.uk though.

Don't be too worried if your glosso takes longer than expected to "take off." It will once it has established its roots. If you got it bunched with few roots, it will tanks around 2 weeks to start spreading nicely. Just IME.

Tank has started to fill out a bit now.
Added since last photos:

Crypt X Willsii (to the right of the anubis on the left)
Windelov's fern (in the center, to the left behind the java fern)
Saggitaria (to the right of the java fern)
An Amano Shrimp, which is a lot more active than the previous cherry shrimps i had.

Should also add that i've put my fish back in too, 4 X-ray tetras, 5 Golden Barbs, and one lonely Red-Eye tetra.

Attachments

• sDSC00257.jpg
    sDSC00257.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 134
  • sDSC00258.jpg
    sDSC00258.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 133
  • sDSC00259.jpg
    sDSC00259.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 167

Most reactions

Back