The Arch - My messy journey to a 180L planted paradise

Whiskyfish

Reaction score
Hello,

Welcome to the Arch.

20240131_160004.jpg

These two pieces of wood inspired me to put together a sort of forest fantasy scene in my 180L that I picked up for cheap online. I'm about two weeks into a dry start and have just rectified a major hiccup.

I've done a number of planted tanks and always go 2 inches of dirt and one inch of sand (or so). I planned the do the same this time, but got some bad advice at the petshop and realised only now that I've used a completely inert substrate. This means my carpeting Monte Carlo is likely to have a tough road ahead.

So today I frustratingly took all the MC out, dug out the substrate, put in 5L of aquasoil, and capped it with the inert substrate.

This is where we are now:

IMG-20240131-WA0002.jpg

As annoying as it was having to redo the substrate and replant each individual MC (and potentially disrupting its growth and rooting that had already begun) I am happier with the thicker substrate and the nice valley the path now has.

IMG-20240131-WA0004.jpg

I've just ordered a selection of plants and when they arrive I'll be abandoning this dry start before I die of boredom. The MC and the weeping moss will have to try to survive and thrive in water with my diy co2 system.

Tomorrow ill be heading to BnQ to pick up some plastic sheeting to fashion a lid, and perhaps design something to allow a couple of house plants to hang in the water.

Very much open to stocking ideas. So far I'm pretty settled on amanos, ottos and hatchet fish. Some unique looking rasboras may make the cut too.

Stay tuned for more fantasy themed shenanigans.

promising start
please keep us updated

Plant haul.

Just arrived in the post. Went for a mystery box. Anyone recognise anything good here?

20240202_120913.jpg

20240202_120923.jpg

20240202_120940.jpg

20240202_120933.jpg

Bit concerned about this 'advanced' one here..

20240202_120931.jpg

Anyway. That's them all in the fridge ready for tonight's scaping session.

Off to the river to get some gunk to put in, Father Fish style..

Ive got a jar of dirt. 🎶
20240202_152831.jpg

(And guess what's inside it). 🏴‍☠️

Am I really going to put this gunk in my tank? Father Fish, don't let me down.

Prepping the room for tonight's scaping.

20240202_152753.jpg

All getting a bit technical here.

My entire under the sand substrate is from the creek in my backyard. There is every sort of life in there. The only "pest" I have encountered is some clado on a rock I also grabbed. There are aquatic worms and all sorts of small and microfauna in that stuff, not too mention bacteria. I also use creek water for changes.

I wouldn't do it any other way unless sterility was demanded, like a grow tank for selling plants.
Best of luck.

My entire under the sand substrate is from the creek in my backyard. There is every sort of life in there. The only "pest" I have encountered is some clado on a rock I also grabbed. There are aquatic worms and all sorts of small and microfauna in that stuff, not too mention bacteria. I also use creek water for changes.

I wouldn't do it any other way unless sterility was demanded, like a grow tank for selling plants.
Best of luck.
Amazing! 😊

Nice start.
You could enter that tank in our May Tank of the Month contest featuring 31 gallon and larger tanks.
What brand and type of lights are you using

So....how did you put the jar of dirt into the substrate? Was it like the old Indiana Jones swap?

Ha. Pretty much that exactly.

I wanted a little sand cap at the back half of the tank anyway as this Monado stuff seems very course. Quick dig, dirt in, cap. Hopefully it helps.
20240203_133004.jpg

Filled now but it's difficult to appreciate just how many plants I put in there. I think the back wall is going to dissapear from sight eventually.

Now wondering about throwing in a school of rasboras...

Yeah, plants have a way of growing. Mine is very full at about 6 weeks, but nowhere near what it will be at 12. I did plan for the final layout though.

I've started staging my water change water where I get a bucket from the creek, let it reach temperature, then dump it into a bucket of floaters and plant clippings so there will always be amicrofauna culture, then do WC from that one at my leisure using a powerhead with sponge filter so I don't just suck up plants. At some point, though I will have to throw the extra in the compost.

Yeah, plants have a way of growing. Mine is very full at about 6 weeks, but nowhere near what it will be at 12. I did plan for the final layout though.

I've started staging my water change water where I get a bucket from the creek, let it reach temperature, then dump it into a bucket of floaters and plant clippings so there will always be amicrofauna culture, then do WC from that one at my leisure using a powerhead with sponge filter so I don't just suck up plants. At some point, though I will have to throw the extra in the compost.
Excellent idea.
I think I'll work up to something similar. For now, I'll aim to throw in a pinch of gunk and a leaf or two per week. See how we go with that.

20240203_133244.jpg

I read somewhere that DiY yeast method co2 is no good for a big tank. Then I read a big long thing about one guys adventure of proving that wrong. He used all kinds of tricks and equipment to wire a fancy contraption.

I decided just to double up. Has to he better than nothing, I suppose!

20240204_102924.jpg

I have also added 6 cherry barbs and they will be my scouting party for the next couple of weeks.

20240204_102940.jpg

Side note: I was very impressed with 'pets at home' here in the UK. They quizzed me before giving me the fish and I saw them refuse to sell to a man who couldn't answer to their satisfaction...

I read somewhere that DiY yeast method co2 is no good for a big tank. Then I read a big long thing about one guys adventure of proving that wrong. He used all kinds of tricks and equipment to wire a fancy contraption.

I decided just to double up. Has to he better than nothing, I suppose!
I've been finagling with a citric acid/baking soda reactor and it's been really annoying. I was considering switching to a yeast version but the problem is that you can't control the amount that comes out. I would fear that at night the co2 could kill the fish due to the plants not taking it up. If it's running at night make sure there's enough flow to keep the oxygen levels enough for the fish.

Most reactions

Back