Just Installed First HOB-Filter - How Can I Stop This Noise? (Aqua One Clear View 600 Hang On Filter)

Emilue

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've just installed a new filter into my tank and I have had this awful noise the entire day coming from the filter.

This is the noise when the lid is on: .
When I've taken the system apart to see the impeller I've found it rattles around in the motor and I'm not sure if that's my problem as this filter is completely new and unused:
I'm not sure exactly what to do or where the problem is, I've primed my filter multiple times and still nothing has improved with the noise.
Any ideas?

Thank you.

you will never stop that noise!
you can put sponges so it doesnt sit plastic on plastic and lower the rattle...
put more sponges inside to cut the flow increasing the water inside the filter to hum it down a bit...
but at the end of the day...get used to it....
common types of filtration these days...
hang on backs...noisy as hell
canisters...humming sound as they need stronger motors to push water through the filtration
sponge filters...plup plup plup plup...bursting bubbles
and then there's the god of all filtration systems...
sumps!..runs whatever you want...0 noise...0 humming
once you go sump...you never look back xD
regarding noise...
this is a 10gallon running at 400gph as you can see valve straight up and no lid...

Last edited:
A bit if sticky tape on the lid can help stop vibration

The impellor/ impeller should have a plastic bit that holds the top in place when the motor is fitted into the case.

If you don't want noise from the water flowing back into the tank, raise the water level in the aquarium a little bit. If you don't have a coverglass, be careful about raising the water level in the tank because fish sometimes jump out. You can make a Perspex cover to go around the HOB filter, which will reduce the likelihood of fish going over the side.

I don't think it's even the noise from the water or the vibration, I think it's the sound of the impeller, it's brand new and I've taken it out and put it back in and it just doesn't spin without rattling when plugged in when out of the tank on it's own. I've heard the same filters going in other tanks and I've never heard the noise I'm hearing now.

I don't think it's even the noise from the water or the vibration, I think it's the sound of the impeller, it's brand new and I've taken it out and put it back in and it just doesn't spin without rattling when plugged in when out of the tank on it's own. I've heard the same filters going in other tanks and I've never heard the noise I'm hearing now.
your 2nd video actually shows the impeller going nuts all over the place when it should be spinning still...
does it have a cover where that black tip goes into to secure it in place?

Is there a rubber grommet on the bottom of the impellor shaft?

Is there meant to be a small plastic washer between the grommets and the impellor? (check user manual for this).

It does go into a cover in the cannister but it must not be very snug at all as it is still rattling. There is another black grommet on the other side of the shaft, but it remained in the motor when I took the impeller out in the video.

1657784984722.png

This is the image of the impeller as seen in the manual. I don't think I'm missing any of these parts.

Another thing I've noticed is that whenever I try and adjust the flow rate of the filter, it freaks out, the noise gets really loud and the water flow from the cannister stops completely. Like the whole impeller just goes nuts and stops spinning when the flow is adjusted.

It sounds like the impellor shaft isn't going into the top grommet completely or at all. There is a small hole in both rubber grommets and the impellor shaft needs to go into the holes. If it isn't in the hole on the top grommet, it will make a racket and won't pump water properly.

The top rubber grommet can be removed. It is hard to do but a small pr or pliers or narrow tweezers can sometimes get it out. Then you can put it on the impellor shaft and it should be easier to get into the top plastic cover.

Agree w/Colin.
The impellor shaft need bearing surfaces on both ends of the shaft, though I'm not sure how it could be assembled without the top portion fitting in the bearing race. The impellor assembly may be fine and the noise id from elsewhere.

I've no experience with these filters, but it appears to me that the impeller shaft is not properly seated in the bottom of the filter.

There's (certainly got to be) a rubber grommet in the bottom of the motor casing; you must push the impeller straight down, firmly, with the impeller straight up and down, not touching the sides of the motor cavity; you should be able to "feel" when the shaft is fully inserted into the bottom grommet.

I've no experience with these filters, but it appears to me that the impeller shaft is not properly seated in the bottom of the filter.

There's (certainly got to be) a rubber grommet in the bottom of the motor casing; you must push the impeller straight down, firmly, with the impeller straight up and down, not touching the sides of the motor cavity; you should be able to "feel" when the shaft is fully inserted into the bottom grommet.
You should be able to seat the bottom part of the shaft and use your fingers as a bearing on the top to test lower bearing seating. Lubricate fingers with water or a bit of vaseline.

In the 2nd video in the first post, it is clearly apparent that the bottom of the impeller shaft is not properly seated

It's either not properly seated by user error or its a defective /poorly made unit. Don't be afraid to push a little hard, I've got 4 of these currently running in various tanks and when taken apart and reassembled all of them need a little bit of a push for the impeller to sit, it's almost like they click. It shouldn't be running amok like seen on the second video. If it won't seat properly then it's defective and you should exchange it unless you're willing to tinker a bit more with it, then again unless you're handy or know what you're doing you might end up breaking it and voiding any chances to claim a warranty replacement or a refund.

And, after further thought, I'm betting that the plastic or rubber bit on the top of the shaft is so that you CAN firmly push the shaft into the bottom grommet w/out jabbing the shaft into your fingers....

And, after further thought, I'm betting that the plastic or rubber bit on the top of the shaft is so that you CAN firmly push the shaft into the bottom grommet w/out jabbing the shaft into your fingers....
Now that I look at the disassembly video, the shaft does not rotate but is in fact the inner bearing surface. I would pull the impellor out and see if the shaft can be inserted into the bottom. Be careful not to leverage the shaft sideways after insertion as this will deform or crack the lower shaft attachment point inside the housing.

Most reactions

Back