Josh's Marine Adventure!

Thats a nice price for the flasher Tina :good: Everything seems settled right now :) no problems, my slight diatom problem is dying back for sure, hopefully when I clean the glass this time it wont grow back so bloody quick :p

I think I'm going to put i a sump guys, I have a spare clearseal 18*10*10 lying around, so if i pick up an overflow weir like the tunze one I think it was, I'll give it a bash :)

I think I'm going to put i a sump guys, I have a spare clearseal 18*10*10 lying around, so if i pick up an overflow weir like the tunze one I think it was, I'll give it a bash :)

that will be interesting to see Josh - please give us lots of info :good: how you planning on doing it?

Seffie x

:fish:

Cheers Seffie :)

Lots of info and pics ofc :D here's my first design, let me know if anyone spots things that need changing :good:
4686c862.jpg

Josh, a couple of questions:

Is that big enough for your tank (18 x 10 x 10) ? excuse some of these questions, I haven't got a clue about sumps and I am trying to learn :blush:

The overflow Tunze weir, have you got a picture and how do they work (yeah I assume they overflow from the tank :blush: )

OK, that's enough for now

oh no, one more question - wont the bio balls become nitrate factories?

sorry and another, the dsb - advantages and disadvantages - I'm sure I read Ski making a less than posiitve comment on them some time ago?

Seffie x

:fish:

I'm still very much learning too lol :p

The size issue I'm actually still thinking through Seffie, Im not sure how much larger tank I can fit in without either searching out a taller tank or chopping up the cabinet but I'd rather not hack through the middle support :S

I figured bio balls would help with the ammonia - nitrite - nitrate, with the chaeto etc then reducing the nitrate, I could use LR rubble instead or just leave that section empty?

The Tunze, heres a diagram I dug out
b6149a96.jpg

And the instructions found here

I'm not sure of the drawbacks on a DSB so long as its sifted through with nassarius etc, I could be wrong though, it just seems to be the done thing with sumps, you see it more often than not IME. Can you remember what Ski said by any chance?

This is all learning from me too so dont expect me to be right :p :blush:

If you read the three part sumps article in Reefkeeping magazine, there is a link in one of them that will allow you to work out how much will overflow into the sump when the power is cut and the minimum size you will need to use for a sump.

Ski said that DSB would need changing every couple of years as their effectiveness was reduced over time, this means that if your DSB is in the sump it will be difficult to perform this task.

What I am thinking about doing is adding my HOB refugium to my new sump so that the DSB is remote, this means it will be easier to remove for the deep cleaning that Ski suggests. You could still have the chaeto in the sump.

Just thought, I have a 65litre tank I keep forgetting to pick up off of my mate, I could run this not in the cab, but on the floor on the side of the tank! Would be nearly half my volume in the sump then :good: If that floods in a powercut then im buggered lol :p

I wouldn't of thought it'd be difficult to change the DSB so long as there's easy access?

I'm going to start a 35ltr nano cube with shrimp/goby combo soon ;) so ideally id use my HOB ref on that :)

Yeah, a DSB in the sump itself is a maintenance nightmare. Having it remotely in a bucket works well but fact of the matter is, eventually it will need maintenance of some kind or even outright replacing and its really hard to empty a DSB without the benefit of siphoning...

my feelings on DSBs differ to Ski's. i think they can be a long term thing if they are looked after correctly.
However i would probably do it in a separate bucket as Ski suggests just in case.
I was gonna do one for mine but due to lack of space i went for a refugium based sump instead.

link below is really good for DSBs, you might change your design after reading it though
[URL="http://www.reef-eden.net/DSBs.htm"]http://www.reef-eden.net/DSBs.htm[/URL]

Rob

my feelings on DSBs differ to Ski's. i think they can be a long term thing if they are looked after correctly.
However i would probably do it in a separate bucket as Ski suggests just in case.
I was gonna do one for mine but due to lack of space i went for a refugium based sump instead.

link below is really good for DSBs, you might change your design after reading it though
http://www.reef-eden.net/DSBs.htm

After reading this through, I still agree with Ski that a way of making the DSB accessible for cleaning is perhaps the best course of action.

I will quote one paragraph

. The build up of toxic chemicals is another hotly debated subject especially in light of recent revelations from the Reefing DSB's founding father Dr. Ron Shimeck. 'Dr. Ron' as he is commonly known, has made recent reference to the 'possible' build up of heavy metals in the bed 'and other areas of our aquariums', via precipitation. And that any drastic drop in parameters such as Ph 'might' cause the release of these back into the water column with consequent damaging effects to our livestock. This is, 'I might add' an experiment still in progress which I eagerly await the outcome of, as the results might change the way we all view and approach the long-term husbandry of our charges. As for the conclusions, Dr Ron has already suggested that replacement of the media might be necessary every four to five years in an effort to rid the system of this build up, plus it may be stemmed from happening for longer periods via the use of 'Polyfilters' which are specially designed to deal with this type of impurity, ideally when preparing fresh salt mixes up prior to addition to the system. In this respect there 'might' end up being some argument in keeping DSB's in a detachable sump or one not unlike my design, ( DIY 4) So that when this type of maintenance is carried out, it will not damage the rest of the system with a sudden release of un-treated Amm, NO2, and NO3 that is being worked on in the sand layers at that time. If this truly is the case, then my only suggestion rather than starting from scratch each time, (which none of us can realistically afford), Would be to house the DSB in a separate sump which can be shut off from the rest of the system, and then replace 1/4 of the DSB every year to keep things at acceptable levels. Any pollution that is emitted from the bed will be kept away from the main tank, and can be simply changed by flushing the DSB through with some tank water prior to reattaching to the rest of the system. As for any other chemicals / gases that are part of the breakdown process. then I personally find it hard to believe that they could possibly accumulate to dangerous levels in a well maintained and well fed DSB. the mere fact that all the sand is being moved around so much, actually increases the possibly that any accumulated harmful chemicals are dispersed via diffusion before they get a chance to do any damage, to be removed via other methods such as skimming, Carbon or Polyfilters.

Even the DSB founding father is looking into the long term maintenance of these systems. The author of the article has a link DIY 4 accesssed from that paragraph whereby he uses a vessel inside his sump placed on plenum type columns in order that the sand bed can be easily accessed if need be.

As this is still being investigated, I feel it would be prudent to ensure from the start that the DSB can be accessed at a leter date for any maintenance that may be needed.

agreed,

having done a substantial amount of reading, and asked many questions on various forums on the DSB subject it is clear that ideally it needs to be in a separate container from the main sump and treated differently from other sump environments.
If i had the space i'd definitely have one as i feel the benefits are substantial.
however a refugium based sump, with algae to harvest still provides nutrient export and a way of culturing animals such as pods.

Thanks for all the input guys :D really appreciate you taking the time to write it all up etc :)

The thing around it seems to be that in a few YEARS time it will need completely changing, I see what you mean about not being able to syphon as its @ floor level, but I just can't see me having the set up in a few years time, I'm still aiming to change up in the summer/autumn time of this year! Although I may well have the remote DSB in the HOB as you suggested tina :good: seeing as I have one there right now it'd be a shame for it to go to waste!

Just rescaped the tank too, really like it, gone for a 2 islands look, I think its quite cool :good: pics to follow ofc :)

Its actually quite interesting when you start to read around the subject, as Anguilla just has, I have been doing my own reading over the last few months as I wanted a sump to enable me to keep a Mandarin and give it the best possible chance.

I came to the conclusion a few weeks ago that when I did upgrade I would try to keep the DSB away from the main sump just for these very reasons.

I had not read that article that Anguila linked to so it made additional reading and does give alot of very good info. The link within that article to the DIY 4 page has some very interesting pictures of how to raise the DSB in a separate container within the sump if you are struggling for extra space to have a remote DSB.

I am definately going to use the HOB refugium for this purpose, just need to work out where exactly it will sit when the tank arrives here on Saturday.

Most reactions

Back