Join The Oscar Club, Its Just For Fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just gone into my first realms of the Red Tiger Oscar! Stupidly let the mrs name him and she came up with the apt "We'll just call him Oscar then..."

Only a babe at the mo, just over and inch long. Currently in a 55g tank, but have a 120g cycling at the moment which is going to be his new home, and am seriously thinking about getting another pretty much straight away.

Quick couple of questions though:
I take it that it would be better to have two growing up together than trying to intoduce one later on?

Also, when everyone is banging on about gallons, are they talking Imperial or US? As this can be a vast difference when your on about larger tanks.

Will post a couple of pics as soon as I can get a decent snap (spent an hour last night waiting, but he/she was hiding at the back of the tank, as soon as the camera gets put away... straight to the front!)

Do I get a number?

what number does this make me?
this is one of my oscars called tiger he is about 3.5", i will get some other pics soon of the other 2.
there housed in a 150uk gallon tank, tankmates inc j/d's, convicts, 1 blue texas and a green severum
tigertheoscar002.jpg

Just gone into my first realms of the Red Tiger Oscar! Stupidly let the mrs name him and she came up with the apt "We'll just call him Oscar then..."

Only a babe at the mo, just over and inch long. Currently in a 55g tank, but have a 120g cycling at the moment which is going to be his new home, and am seriously thinking about getting another pretty much straight away.

Quick couple of questions though:
I take it that it would be better to have two growing up together than trying to intoduce one later on?

Also, when everyone is banging on about gallons, are they talking Imperial or US? As this can be a vast difference when your on about larger tanks.

Will post a couple of pics as soon as I can get a decent snap (spent an hour last night waiting, but he/she was hiding at the back of the tank, as soon as the camera gets put away... straight to the front!)

Do I get a number?

hehe the oscar pictured below with the jag is also apt named oscar :lol: great minds......
yes is would be better to get them young, if you can get 5 or 6 grow them up,wait til you notice a pair them return the rest to the shop<ask first if its ok to do this before being stuck with them,,,,
most people seem to talk in us gallons but also they talk imp,,, :good:

here Remz, have a read, but dont be drinking anything at the time or it will either shoot out of your mouth and soak the screen, or choke you............

<a href="http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=260947" target="_blank">http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=260947</a>

:lol: what can i say?? :lol:
:lol: nice one :good:. I'm sure he was wondering what all the fuss was about lol.

I hear ya on trying to get at the plec tho. Pumba gave me a scare this morning when I turned on the lights. He was a bit spooked and turned really pale.... and had lines that looked almost like a fungus along his body on both sides :crazy: . Also had some torn up tissue right under his gills...... I was like "great, here we go again".

Turns out the pale color just made things look a lot worse and they were wounds that appeared overnight. I presume he was on a rampage trying to get at the pleco and cut himself trying to get under the "wood cave" that the pleco has dug underneath some driftwood. I'm sure of it actually, as there is no way he could have feasibly cut lines horizontally into his body on both sides unless he was turned sideways trying to squeeze underneath the wood. :rolleyes:

I think Jambo and Pumba have some things in common. Pumba has taken to letting me touch him..... but at the same time likes to give me a little nibble or prematurely jump out of the tank at feeding time to grab my finger. He's gone mad! That poor, poor pleco *sigh*.

As far as member numbers go... i'm completely and utterly lost. if nobody else responds, i'll try to figure out where we are at.

that boy is making me a laughing stock !! :lol:
Rmez, just keep the water in tip top, he`ll soon heal ( better than meds in cases like this)

:lol: im not going mad...Pumbas doing it too!!

nelly will get the numbers sorted im sure,ive been up all night reading and can hardley see this nevermind concentrate

ok found the list and updated, not sure who number 2 is or is that a mistake?? also i remember seeing someone with 10 but cant be arrised routing through 14 pages to find them now so that can wait.
<1>nelly
<2>sheila
<3>shelaghfishface
<4>peter22uk
<5>minxfishy
<6>remZ
<7>dave Ehl
<8>spishkey
<9>Spesh
<10> just seen someone with number ten but cant find it now
<11> tobigara
<12> Ludwig
<13> gfaduck
<14> kris1978

ok do i get to join now?

Just picked up my 2 O's and 2 Red Severums. The O's are a Classic Red and an albino red Pics will follw if i can find the albino hiding in the tank. Young O's and 110G of water and wood etc makes it tricky to find a shy O

<1>nelly
<2>sheila
<3>shelaghfishface
<4>peter22uk
<5>minxfishy
<6>remZ
<7>dave Ehl
<8>spishkey
<9>Spesh
<10> just seen someone with number ten but cant find it now
<11> tobigara
<12> Ludwig
<13> gfaduck
<14> kris1978
<15> ren&stumpy

So bad news... Pumba's attack on the pleco resulted in irreversible damage and he is now on the verge of death:
dsc006434495586tw0.jpg

dsc006444503258yu0.jpg

Just kidding. didn't mean to give anyone a heart attack. :lol:. He now does this every time he sees the siphon. He stayed motionless like this for nearly an hour while i was changing water in the room haha. Not so tough anymore eh? :p

dsc006454511574oc2.jpg

dsc006464484729je5.jpg

He is quite the drama queen.

edit: on a side note, his wounds are pretty much gone after just 2 days... they were very superficial but enough to make me wonder what the hell was going on.

:lol:
hes having a sulk! Jambo does this sometimes he gets behind the plastic plants and wont come out, i think they just either know its coming ( the cold water) or they just dont want that plastic thing invading their space.. so they hit the *switch off* button.. and in no time they are up begging for food again :rolleyes:
hes growing Remz.. and looking stunning i might add.. how you getting on with the sand substrate? loving the tank too, its really beautiful.
they dont take long to heal with good water ... i mean look at jambo and his "pop eye" :lol:
when i got jambo he had a scar on his chin and its still there now, as he was left too long,its the only thing that spoils his otherwise perfect complexion ( as in the pic)
016-4.jpg

but hes a star and i love him to bits.. even if he does want me dead :lol:

keep up the excellent work Remz
shelagh xxxxxxx

Well. Pumba bit the siphon once when i stuck it in the tank... didn't like it and sulked as I went about vacuuming the tank. Ever since he just "plays dead" when he sees it come anywhere near the room. It's hard not to laugh. Apparently the siphon is a veracious predator :lol:. The temp coming into his tank is within +/- .4 degrees every time... so he is just throwing a hissy fit. :p

He has certainly grown quite a bit... and on a pretty standard diet of Hikari Cichlid Gold (he's been on the larger pellets for a couple of weeks now). Getting bloodworms and very occasional beefheart now and then. He had a few feeder guppies at one point.... but i felt he got much more aggressive and was too clumsy (aka hurting himself) while chasing them.

The sand is slowly turning into a disaster. I vacuum it 2x a week while doing water changes and it always ends up looking horrible. Of course I picked the lightest sand I could buy. At this rate, I'm sucking up so much sand 'trying' to maintain things that I'll have to replace the substrate soon. The pleco seems to make more waste than Pumba. *sigh* Then when I see both of them doing their own version of 'aquascaping', sand ends up everywhere... including my filter inlets. All is holding up so far though. :lol: I'm glad you like the tank though. I try to keep it looking good.

I saw a little 1.5" baby oscar at Petsmart the other day that had such an amazing resemblance to Jambo.... I WANTED HIM SO BAD. lol. He had the pattern right over his gills that gave him the 'Jambo' look. I really admire that trait... and it does not seem very common. I remember oogling over Jambo when i first ventured over to the NW Cichlid section for advice :)

I think you need to post a 'photoshoot of oscars' in here. You have too many good looking O's to keep them all to yourself :p

edit: i wont be feeding him peas any time soon. peas = heart attack for oscar owners :lol:

ooh an oscar photoshoot! that would be a brilliant pinned addition to this section of the forum!!!

go for it! will happily add some pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back