Jimbooo's Jungle Journal (rekord 60 - 12g)

Looking good Jim, probably nice to have a change and try something different? I have a Aquarama 60, which I think is the rena equivalent, which'll probably start on once the nano is going ok.

You got any plant substrate mixing in there at all or is it just sand and gravel?

Sam

Plants look wonderful and healthy, as always Jim... and I love the sandy bay approach.

I do think you need some more midground plants, and to vary the height in the background. Also, some other contrasts of green would help too.

Looking forward to seeing this progress dude!

i have a question, how does the nutrafin co2 system work for u? i was considering stepping up and getting one for my 20 gal. also iv been reading up on ppl using home mixes, do u use this or just the ones ment fo the system?

These juwel reord 60 are superb tanks, so easy to mess round with.

I like the new setup mate inpaticular the anbuila, is it 100% sand or is there something else under there, is there any plans for anything at the front.

What wattage do you have under the hood, are you still using co2, and what and how are you dosing your ferts.

Sorry for all the questions mate, i have a simalar tank, low light i adding minimal ferts, but was thinking of upping the stakes and using diy co2 and dosing more ferts to speed growth up a little.

no plans for the front mate apart from 4 corys to play around in it.
2 tubes = 2.5WPG
2 nutrafins on there still
unsure on ferts yet, EI definatly just haven't worked out the uptake rate yet. testing etc.. for a week or so until i work it out.

if i were you i'd bung some co2 in there and a week later add another tube. then just keep an eye on nutrient levels and replace as needed until you work out the uptake pattern etc..

Looking good Jim, probably nice to have a change and try something different? I have a Aquarama 60, which I think is the rena equivalent, which'll probably start on once the nano is going ok.

You got any plant substrate mixing in there at all or is it just sand and gravel?

Sam

i left 20% of the laterite/gravel mix at the rear (under the swords) but removed everything else. forground is 100% sand as no plans for carpeting plants at all. this is not supposed to be a feature tank like the 180 more of a fish tank for the living room with plants in it if you know what i mean. i want to see some corys playing in the open space for a change.

Plants look wonderful and healthy, as always Jim... and I love the sandy bay approach.

I do think you need some more midground plants, and to vary the height in the background. Also, some other contrasts of green would help too.

Looking forward to seeing this progress dude!

yeah the java ferns will close the gap at the top in time but i am planning on getting some red in there in between the green. i dont want to crowd the tank though with midground plants as they will restrict the cory playground. i cant be doing with replanting carpets every other week either. that mountain of glosso in the 180 will keep me busy for months lol.

i have a question, how does the nutrafin co2 system work for u? i was considering stepping up and getting one for my 20 gal. also iv been reading up on ppl using home mixes, do u use this or just the ones ment fo the system?

nutrafins are great. 2 on a 12G is perfect as you can change the mix 4 days apart to keep co2 levels constant. i use my own mix (0.5 tsp yeast, 1tsp bicarb and sugar) the supplied sachets are terrible, dont use them at all. my mix gives out at least 2x the amount of co2.

hey. how'd you plant those java ferns. i had a terrible time trying to plant some java ferns in a way that made them look any amount of neat and tidy. Some help would be appreciated if you have the time...I really like how your java ferns look nicely planted.

I love the sandy part of the tank....If/When the cories start playing on the sand, can you get a few pics? Should look great!!!

-Ian

lol. patience basically

here's the java fern plantlets just after planting (about 2 years ago)

i just strapped about 15 plantlets to each stick and let them do their thing.

bottom right of this pic
Ugene40G.jpg

and 2 in the front centre of this one
picture29.jpg

those turn into these after about 2 years of carefull pruning.

javafernpearl.jpg

ah okay. i think my prob was that I wasn't using anything to help anchor them properly. I was just trying to stick them in the gravel!

I'll try rearranging and anchoring them down properly. I might try the plantlets as the adult (?) plants I got aren't in the best of health...about half of them are putting out plantlets on their leaves which isn't attractive.

-Ian

Jimboo, can i ask how many tubes the rekord 60 has as standard, and what lengths. You're tank is stunning.
EDIT: Just read it has one.
Did you just buy an extra tube starter kit?

Hi Luke, it comes with one 18inch 15W tube but i've added another using an arcadia ballast, i've then attached a reflector to the extra tube and attached it to the lid as in the pictures below.

10GLight3.jpg

136f7bca.jpg

that gives me 2.5WPG, plenty to grow most plants with the addition of co2.

ballast= approx £18
tube= £12

so about £30 for the upgrade, well worth it in my opinion. then another £20 for a nutrafin natural plant co2 system and your all set, just need to add decent substrate and ferts.

Thats great news.. Can i ask where you got you're ballast from?
Thank you.

no idea i'm afraid. most LFS stock arcadia ballasts. it's nothing special

Yeah great tank mate.really like the arrangment of plants :good:

thanks, the tank has now been rehomed at my parents house. they have undergone a crash course in planted tank keeping and doing well so far.

Do you fancy doing a pruning guide for us newbies? That Java fern looks superb!

Perhaps if several of our more 'prominent/experienced' aquascapists were to do easy to follow guides, it could be stick-ied, and allow us less talented individuals a chance to create something close to the amazing tanks seen on this forum.

Most reactions

Back