Is This A Dyed Fish?

rockerBOO

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
G-danio-fluorescent-zebra-r.jpg

Seen it in a few fish stores, but was tentative about being interested because I did not know if they were dyed.

Thats so pretty.

I am a pink girl, totally mad on the colour, I would love that in my tank.

That's a pretty fish! I have never seen one like that before. However I have to say that the colors look nataral.

Yeah they had these at this place for 15$ each. I dunno how i feel about genetically modified fish though. Though my livebearers may be modified.

I saw a big shoal of pink and bright yellow/lime ones at this fish store nearby, they sure are expensive( 27 $ for 3).

Its worth pointing out that any selectively bred fish is genetically modified. Nature doesnt make dayglow blue bettas, people do. Just because its not done with micropipettes doesnt mean it isnt GM :p

That looks like someone selectively bred it from Glofish, something that is considerably illegal, but that I'm all for. Generally they are down to around 8-12 dollars a piece these days. I have them in the origional short finned red and now in yellow, I hope to find them in green soon as well.

One of my local LFS has 3 tanks of them and I asked the question as I am against dying, and he said that they are "colour dyed" by diet, but not injected. I have had a shoal of "gold long finned danios" in the past and much prefer them Gold instead of Pinky-Red any day!!!

Here is a photo of one of the ones I used to own.

goldlongfinneddanio.jpg
:wub:

Julia

My store got a few in to see for ourselves if they were dyed. (We're very against selling dyed fish, and we kept them in the back off the floor, but we couldn't get a straight answer so we decided to see for ourselves.) They do seem to be "juiced" in some way, shape, or form, be it food or hormones in the water, although they don't seem to be dipped or injected. They've faded signifigantly over a couple months, but have retained a very light pink hue so far. Time will tell if that remains or fades too.

If they look like my avitar then they are not dyed. I've never heard of anyone dying Danios, although since Glofish have been going someone might dye some in order to produce cheaper fish. Glofish are all bred from "golden" short fin Danios so that the blue doesn't cover the florescent proteins up.

One of my local LFS has 3 tanks of them and I asked the question as I am against dying, and he said that they are "colour dyed" by diet, but not injected. I have had a shoal of "gold long finned danios" in the past and much prefer them Gold instead of Pinky-Red any day!!!

Here is a photo of one of the ones I used to own.

goldlongfinneddanio.jpg
:wub:

Julia
Beautiful fish!

Here are 5 of my 6 Glofish
post-2908-1168758923.jpg
I only have the Red and the Yellow at this point, I hope to soon get a Few of the Greens. Maybe even end up with some of the other colors when they are released.

They are unnatural, but in a very real sense so are almonds and wheat and potatoes and tomatoes and long finned bettas. What I think of as the difference between glofish and bettas that matters is that Glofish glowing has no real effect on there lives, where as bettas need to drag there fins everywhere, colors go along effortlessly.

Most reactions

Back