Installing Windows File

''Corrupted hard disk drive or severely corrupted Windows''

I have had a disc drive error when I've started up before.. so I'm wondering if it could be due to that..

1. Insert the Microsoft Windows XP CD. Note: If you have a recovery CD or a restore CD and not a Microsoft Windows XP CD it is likely the below steps will not resolve your issue.
2. Reboot the computer, as the computer is starting you should see a message to press any key to boot from the CD. When you see this message press any key.
3. In the Microsoft Windows XP setup menu press the R key to enter the recovery console.
4. Select the operating system you wish to fix, and then enter the administrator password.

^^^ which operating system am I wishing to fix?? It only lets me enter 1 key... and I have no idea what the administrator password is..

5. Once at the recovery console type chkdsk /r
6. Once completed type exit and see if issue is resolved.

What a pain in the butt this is.. I'm considering taking it back

4. Select the operating system you wish to fix, and then enter the administrator password.

^^^ which operating system am I wishing to fix?? It only lets me enter 1 key... and I have no idea what the administrator password is..
A PC can have many different Operating Systems intalled on different partitions on one hard disk drive or across many.

I'm guessing you have just the one, Windows XP.
Choose that!

Andy

BTW, if you can take it back, :shout: DO SO!!!!!!!

Yea I got another error today.. the computer was freezing and going black for a few seconds at a time..

then all of a sudden it went to a blue screen with white text telling me windows was going to be messed or something if the computer kept running..

because of this file..

''nv4_disp''

So i ran the windows repair thing ..that took about 45 minutes.. now the computer is back working..

I'm pretty pissed.. tomorrow I'm gonna call the place and let them know whats going on.

then all of a sudden it went to a blue screen with white text telling me windows was going to be messed or something if the computer kept running..
to us computer geeks thats called the "blue screen of death"

I think that's a video card driver, another .dll file.

Are you getting problems opening any type of documents? So far, you've only had problems with drivers, which is very odd. If it was a disk problem, it would probably affect random types of files.

My first guess would be some sort of virus or other infection. After the trouble you have been having, I would take it back to the shop, or do a complete reinstall of Windows (wiping the hard disk and starting again - and losing your data). If a reinstall does not fix the problem, then it's a hardware fault (disk, keyboard, etc).

If you decide to reinstall Windows, let me know. I've got a post prepared for a new blog a want to start. The post explains the basic process you should follow. It's a long post, so I'll only post it here if it would help you.

If I've read the thread right - your getting drive errors and windows keeps being unable to locate system files.

It sounds to me like te hard drive is at fault - not the software ;)

nv4disp.dll is to do with nvidia drivers - download and reinstall them when you get into windows.

Most reactions

Back