Installing Windows File

vancouver

- l l a m a s -
Reaction score
As some of you might remember.. I had my computer ''fixed''..

They installed windows, gave me a windows disc.. blah blah blah

ANYWAYS, everytime I start my computer windows is always messing up.

Either tells me windows could not start because of an error, or I have a disc error..

I also get an error saying this file is missing or corrupt

<windows root> \system32\ntoskrnl.exe

anyone have any clue how to install that file ^^^

I've done windows updates, I put the windows disc in to repair it, but it didn't fix the problem.

Should I take the computer back to the place that ''FIXED'' it?

I don't know whether this will work or not, but it's worth a try. I don't know what the file you refer to does, but I guess it's something like (Windows) NT OS Kernal.

Anyway, go to Start, and click Run. Type sfc /scannow (there's a space between sfc and /scannow), and click OK. Have your Windows disk handy. This is the System File Checker and will look for and replace any corrupt or missing system files.

If it's just this one file, I doubt that it's a hard disk problem. Just in case, you could try the scandisk utility. Go to My Computer and right-click your hard drive (usually C:), click Properties, Tools, and in Error Checking, click Scan Now. You will probably have to reboot the system for the scandisk to start.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply..

I did both of those things.. and I still get both errors when I start the computer... sometimes I have to restart it 5 times before it will work.

I really want to take it back and spazz at them, but don't want them messing it up again.. I don't know what to do.

Insert your Xp disk into the CD drive, choose the boot from command prompt option in the menu that you are presented with

At the command prompt, type in the following:

copy d:\I386\Driver.cab c:\system32\ntoskrnl.exe /v

where d is the letter of your cd drive

press enter

Take the CD out when verified and reboot your computer

hope this helps:good:

when i put the cd in these are the options i can choose from

install windows xp
learn more about the setup process
install optional windows components
perform additional tasks
check system compatibility

i looked through them all and couldnt find a boot from command promt..

:|

thanks for the help..

I'm going to send the place that ''fixed'' it an email.. and see what they say.

I want it fixed, I don't want to pay anything, and I want to get angry at them a bit lol.

you did put the xp disc in before you turned the computer on right?

um.. not positive what you mean..

This was at the end of your last post

''Take the CD out when verified and reboot your computer''

ok turn you computer on then putthe disc in then reboot your computer thats where you should get your options

Still don't get any options..

I get a repair thing that allows me to enter only 1 letter..

or i can enter windows setup..

or just start the computer

It starts fine when I just boot the computer with the windows disc in the hard drive.. but when it's not in there I get errors.

Either tells me windows could not start because of an error, or I have a disc error..

I also get an error saying this file is missing or corrupt

<windows root> \system32\ntoskrnl.exe

2 second search on google then:
NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing or corrupt:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000646.htm

I assume your windows disks are for a full installation of windows XP (hopefully with service packs 1 & 2)?
If so, you will have no problem installing, otherwise its a trip to the bank, followed by a trip to PC world....

GL

Andy

I assume your windows disks are for a full installation of windows XP (hopefully with service packs 1 & 2)?
If so, you will have no problem installing, otherwise its a trip to the bank, followed by a trip to PC world....

GL

Andy
Or a trip to Google, installing a linux distro and never having to pay money for an OS that is full of security holes again ;)

Andywg recommends Ubuntu, so easy to set up and use with some really good set up guides.

Most reactions

Back