Improving inherited nightmare tank - Ongoing

Of my shrimp? I could've taken plenty a couple of weeks ago, before adding the Odessa barb. The RCS have been in hiding since and their number has dwindled severely :confused: I found this dude the other day
View attachment 115120
A Barb? (Whatever that is, sounds painful).
What is this thingcalledbarb compared to generations of happy shrimp?

Not the best pics, sorry, I'd jacked up my camera settings and had to fix them, and worse - this tank is a 12 gallon cube-ish shape with curved glass front and sides. People like those right? No trim. But the curve distorts the view so much in a small tank like this, and it's even worse through a camera lens.

Anyway, enough excuses for my lack of photography skills. Taken yesterday right after adding them to quarantine tank. They didn't hesitate to explore and eat! Wish I'd got a photo of the four of them gathered around the algae wafer, it was adorable.
View attachment 115092
View attachment 115093

Taken earlier tonight after fixing camera settings;
:wub:
View attachment 115094View attachment 115095

Smallest baby face! :wub:View attachment 115096View attachment 115097View attachment 115098
Round cory belly;
View attachment 115099

Two are a bit larger (but still tiny compared to an adult bronze) and two are teeny babies.
View attachment 115100

Is that an Aquaone tank? Just curious due to the curved class and your description of the filter.

Is that an Aquaone tank? Just curious due to the curved class and your description of the filter.
Oh! The in-hood filter and the curved glass cube are two different tanks. The curved glass cube is the quarantine tank, which is a Lovefish Vantage aquarium. The in-hood filter tank is a 57 gallon, and I have no idea of the brand, it's a really old tank though, decades I think.

Speaking of the baby cories though, I could only see three of them earlier. I dropped a bit of an algae wafer in just to lure the fourth one out, and the three were chasing the wafer around the tank, but no fourth appeared. I'm looking at both open sides, open the lid which is the whole top of the tank - can't see it. One of the smallest ones is missing, I can't even see it hiding under the almond leaf.

My heart sank and I began looking by moving decor. There's only a couple of pieces of wood, a stone, an almond leaf, and some small live plant stems in there, where could he be hiding? I was even wondering if he'd jumped out somehow, despite there being a lid and it being a cory. I lift everything up, can't see him. Lift the sponge filter a bit, can't see him. I'm wondering if the others could or would have eaten him, when I look again and he's at the front, looking a bit spooked.

I don't know how he hid so well in such a small, relatively open tank, but he scared me. Think he must have popped into another dimension for a little bit then come back.

Oh! The in-hood filter and the curved glass cube are two different tanks. The curved glass cube is the quarantine tank, which is a Lovefish Vantage aquarium. The in-hood filter tank is a 57 gallon, and I have no idea of the brand, it's a really old tank though, decades I think.
They still make those filters on the aquaone AR series. They work as an excellent biological filter and can be easily upgraded with a larger powerhead. Flow wise they suffer but the filtration power shouldn't be underestimated.

They still make those filters on the aquaone AR series. They work as an excellent biological filter and can be easily upgraded with a larger powerhead. Flow wise they suffer but the filtration power shouldn't be underestimated.
They're not bad actually! The boxes in this tank are huge, there's so much room for media.

Speaking of the baby cories though, I could only see three of them earlier. I dropped a bit of an algae wafer in just to lure the fourth one out, and the three were chasing the wafer around the tank, but no fourth appeared. I'm looking at both open sides, open the lid which is the whole top of the tank - can't see it. One of the smallest ones is missing, I can't even see it hiding under the almond leaf.

My heart sank and I began looking by moving decor. There's only a couple of pieces of wood, a stone, an almond leaf, and some small live plant stems in there, where could he be hiding? I was even wondering if he'd jumped out somehow, despite there being a lid and it being a cory. I lift everything up, can't see him. Lift the sponge filter a bit, can't see him. I'm wondering if the others could or would have eaten him, when I look again and he's at the front, looking a bit spooked.

I don't know how he hid so well in such a small, relatively open tank, but he scared me. Think he must have popped into another dimension for a little bit then come back.
Also since you live in the UK and they're pretty common there, could you please post some pics of the tank?

Also since you live in the UK and they're pretty common there, could you please post some pics of the tank?
Which one, the 57 gallon? I don't have any photos that include the hood right now and it's late here, so this is the best I have right now. Ignore the ugly white strips below the trim... that was a DIY project of my dads to hide the waterline:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:
DSCF1664.JPG

@Treestone I know, it ain't pretty! Not sure what else I can do to improve it though, except scape the plants and stones a little better. It's his tank, so I'm limited, and it's just so old and worn.

A black background (black construction paper works very well) would make a huge difference. And a few floating plants.
Aaahh, that's a problem... he painted the back and one side with that ugly green colour. I'd love to get rid of it, but that would mean taking the tank down and scraping it all off.

Aaahh, that's a problem... he painted the back and one side with that ugly green colour. I'd love to get rid of it, but that would mean taking the tank down and scraping it all off.

Yes...one good reason why one should never paint the back glass, you might want something different later.

Yes...one good reason why one should never paint the back glass, you might want something different later.
I love my dad, but he has appalling taste and some terrible DIY ideas. It's like he was trying to make the tank as ugly as possible. Why green of all colours? Makes it look algae ridden and dingy even when it isn't.

*sigh* Still, it's his tank, and if he likes it, who am I to argue? At least it's not clown puke gravel and fake plants I guess.

Most reactions

Back