I Tried A New Product Superbac For Cycling And It Worked Great

Okay, I've got you down for "immaculate conception" then on how my reef cycled in 3 days. That's a bold stance, but to each their own. Maybe the tooth fairy brought me my bacteria colony? NOOO! Santa did!
Any need for the sarcasm :lol: Andy does know his stuff fella although has a rather outspoken approach and you aren't gonna go far to convincing the rest of us unless you can post us a link to some research. Most members at TFF are rather dubious about the benefits of live bacteria cycling products but if you've found one that was successful we'd like to know much more about it.

:good:

Okay, I've got you down for "immaculate conception" then on how my reef cycled in 3 days. That's a bold stance, but to each their own. Maybe the tooth fairy brought me my bacteria colony? NOOO! Santa did!
Any need for the sarcasm :lol: Andy does know his stuff fella although has a rather outspoken approach and you aren't gonna go far to convincing the rest of us unless you can post us a link to some research. Most members at TFF are rather dubious about the benefits of live bacteria cycling products but if you've found one that was successful we'd like to know much more about it.

Considering my earlier comment of

andywg said:
reefer_ron said:
Also, Bio-Spira is pathetic in an ammonia/nitrite spike situation. Totally worthless. Super Bac does that too.

Of course it does. No doubt it makes me a cup of tea in the morning and washes the car. I assume you have some controlled experiments to back this up?

I think we can allow some sarcasm here. ;)

However, I do note that there is no link to any scientific research showing that Nitrobacter spp is of use in the aquarium. On the contrary, it appears that the discovery of the importance of Nitrospira spp was due to tests showing the failure of cultures of Nitrosomonas spp and Nitrobacter spp. Following this failure the scientists took samples of well established aquaria and looked at the bacteria present. they found that Ntriobacter spp were either not present, or present in extremely low numbers, and they found a huge population of Nitrospira spp.

I did find it humorous that I was being put down for immaculate conception when reefer_ron is approaching science in the same way as biblical creationists: "This is my view, you prove it wrong" - rather than the scientific way: "This is my view, here is the evidence to support it".

And to anyone wondering where the bacterial colony in a FW system comes from if no products are added; the answer is your tap.

True, nothing wrong with friendly banter.

As an aside. I've been trying to work out the 13 pies, how rare thing in your sig. Don't tell me straight out but does it mean something or is it total gobbeldygook with the aim of puzzling people with too much time on their hands?

I think that one or two of the more respected members of this forum should test the different products in a scientific manner and post the results so the rest of us can benefit - or at least know the truth, once and for all. Then all the arguments can cease... at least until new people join and start up... lol

True, nothing wrong with friendly banter.

As an aside. I've been trying to work out the 13 pies, how rare thing in your sig. Don't tell me straight out but does it mean something or is it total gobbeldygook with the aim of puzzling people with too much time on their hands?

i jut thought he liked pie :unsure:

The pies is a quote from Weebl and Bob, as too is "How rare" (uttered after the wooden rocking horse 'Donkey' leaves a "present" on the floor).

The clue was in my old avatar (a moving gif of Weebl) but now I find dancing hitler more humorous to announce my presence.

The pies is a quote from Weebl and Bob, as too is "How rare" (uttered after the wooden rocking horse 'Donkey' leaves a "present" on the floor).

The clue was in my old avatar (a moving gif of Weebl) but now I find dancing hitler more humorous to announce my presence.
OK, a tad bizarre. Although I did laugh I must admit. Actually I remember you having the rocking egg thing as your avatar a while back. Always thought it was a shame you changed it. I look out for pictures before names. Just off the top of the head. Wilder: Tweety. Miss Wiggle: Funny looking Cat Bloo: Blue eyed Cat. Nmonks:Some Babylon 5 head dress thing. Tokis: Some manga thing etc. Although people do eventually get used to change I suppose.

In all fairness, put yourself in my shoes for one minute. I've cycled aquariums in 2-4 days with nitrosomonas and nitrobacter and your Andy guy is telling me I didn't without providing any reasons on how it could have. To refute it he copied and pasted verbage from a very, very, very small clique of scientists trying to "discover" something for a big company. How would you respond to being called a liar and shown this garbage that you already know the truth about?

It's just slightly insulting. And if Andy here is trying selling you that nitrobacter is ineffective because he's handy with Google, you really might want to reconsider just how "knowledgable" 'ole Andy really is.

But all of this is so easy to confirm. A simple trial is all it takes. Andy won't be a fan of the outstanding results I'm afraid.

Regardless of which bacteria is supposed to be in the bottles, I still think that ALL bacteria in a bottle products are pure junk except for the possible exceptions of those that are kept refrigerated (which I have personally never tried). I have tried 3 different bacteria in a bottle products: Cycle, Stress Zyme and another one that I can't remember the name of. The results were the same with each of them: absolutely no help in the cycling process. I don't know how any bacteria could live through the extreme temeratures those products are exposed to in trucks and warehouses.

That is just too funny! i had to send those to my friend.

OK, a tad bizarre.

Ever since i've been a member here i've always wondered about the "pie" thing too. But whats bizarre is, i actually thought his Lionfish was hunting for pie. :lol: I guess when you combine the pic and the text thats the way it looks. (i get a chuckle when i picture him swimming around searching for pie)

Then i thought the pie thing was a refence to his food.. where all he wants to do is eat,eat,eat... pie,pie,pie

I know i'm weird.

What's really weird is andy's avatar..man that thing weird's me out everytime i see it.

In all fairness, put yourself in my shoes for one minute. I've cycled aquariums in 2-4 days with nitrosomonas and nitrobacter and your Andy guy is telling me I didn't without providing any reasons on how it could have. To refute it he copied and pasted verbage from a very, very, very small clique of scientists trying to "discover" something for a big company. How would you respond to being called a liar and shown this garbage that you already know the truth about?

It's just slightly insulting. And if Andy here is trying selling you that nitrobacter is ineffective because he's handy with Google, you really might want to reconsider just how "knowledgable" 'ole Andy really is.

But all of this is so easy to confirm. A simple trial is all it takes. Andy won't be a fan of the outstanding results I'm afraid.

Aha! Ad hominem attacks! I thought this would happen soon. You cannot refute the scientific evidence presented against your point of view (Peer Reviewed science, meaning the work is published and other scientists then review to see if the results look like they are correct) so you attack the people behind the evidence, accusing them of a clique, and me of being good with google.

Face it ron, I have produced evidence to support my case, where is the scientific evidence to support yours? What's that? You don't have any? Thought so...

Also, where did I state that you did not cycle your reef in 2-4 days. As I pointed out in my last post, I have been talking about the FRESHWATER product, while you have stated experience of the SALTWATER product.

Finally, you stated above you used it to cycle a reef tank (which has now become tanks). Your Superbac doesn't even claim to have either of the bacteria I am discussing in its salt water version, but rather Nitrosococcus spp and Nitrococcus spp.

And you didn't respond to my question about whether you have Live Rock in your reef tanks either.

Shame Ron, you almost started to debate this on science, but have now started making claims demanding others disprove them, and attacked the people rather than the evidence presented to counter you because you have nothing evidence based with which to counter.

How strange, it seems Reefer Ron has gone shy and instead started PM'ing me about this.

So, rather than let anyone miss out, below are my messages (as I wrote them, I figure I can repost them here ;) )

------------------------
My First PM
------------------------

reefer_ron said:
Andy,

Sorry for the sarcasm and the heated debate. I certainly haven't meant any disrespect to you even though it may have come off that way.

No worries

reefer_ron said:
Listen, bacteria colonies can't arrive via tap. It's impossible because tapwater contains chlorine and chloramine that disallows any bacteria to arrive through the tap. I didn't respond to this on the forum because I wanted to give you a chance to edit that out. That could have made you look really bad and I didn't want to point that out in public. I have no doubt you have a good bit of knowledge on this and everyone here seems to respect your contribution here and I don't want to damage that.

Actually, they can. Look through the posts made by Bignose (a scientist by trade who has access to all sorts of research papers) and he agrees. While the water companies put chlorinated treatment into the pipes it is not 100% efficient. That is why the bacterial colony slowly starts up, it needs to grow from the level in the water (which is the few remaining hardy souls that survive water treatment) to a level that can cope with an unnaturally high amount of bioload.

A big problem at the moment is the fact that strains of Nitrosomonas spp have appeared that are not only immune to chloramine, but can utilise the ammonia part of the molecule. This means there is less chloramine in the water to treat the real nasties (like E. coli). At the bottom of this is Bignose's post which contains references to all the papers on this.

Also, where else do you think that bacterial colonies come from when people don't use bottled cultures?

reefer_ron said:
How about we become friends and have a good time doing the work ourselves to come to a conclusion on the issue and include others in the process? The whole point is to know the truth. Hell, I want to find it too.

I hope my olive branch is well received.

Yours truly,

Reefer_ron

No worries, but if people say things that are contradicted by peer reviewed science, then I am going to point out they are wrong. Problems with chloramination follow:

Bignose said:
Well, a quick perusal of the scientific literature came up with some rather surprising results.

Firstly, and most surprising to me, the problem ammonia oxidizing bacteria (AOB) and nitrite oxidizing bacteria (NOB) growing in water utilities' facilities is becoming a somewhat serious issue. The chloramine does in fact, promote the growth of AOB and NOB, with the consequences -- written is a nice non-threatening way as -- "...the addition of chloramines can lead to biological instability in a drinking water distribution system by promoting the growth of nitrifying bacteria..." and "The resulting reduction in chloramine residual and development of a microbial community in the distribution system lead to water quality deterioration and violation of drinking water regulations." I think that I might very well have put a little more emphasis on violations of the drinking water regulations.

Basically, because the AOB and NOB grow, they excrete other organic compounds allowing other bacteria to grow. At the very minimum, this additional bacteria will require more chloramine to kill it off, but then, more chloramine promotes more growth of AOB and NOB, and I think you can see where this cycle is going... Here is the really bad news, with this extra growth, all that stuff we don't want in there could grow now, like the coliform bacteria (E. coli -- think spinach), and viruses, and Guardia lamblia and so on. All of these are pretty strictly required to be below certain levels by the U.S. EPA, and similarly in other countries.

Secondly, the really interesting part is that in lab test after lab test, the recommended exposure times and concentrations of chloramines do their jobs. The chloramines in the lab kill off all the organics, including the AOB and NOB. However, at the utility side of the issue, nitrification episodes are rather commonplace. One recent study found 63% of U.S. chloramining utilities and 64% of Southern Australian utilities tested positive for nitrifying bacteria.

One hypothesis for the discrepancy between the laboratory studies and operating results is that there are AOB strains
growing in full-scale systems that possess a greater chloramine resistance than those studied in the kinetic experiments. Whether the AOB strains used in earlier kinetic studies are representative of significant strains involved in full-scale nitrification episodes has not been confirmed, since there are no published evaluations of AOB diversity in chloraminated distribution systems.

This quote, and the above ones, from Regan, Harrington, and Noguera: "Ammonia- and Nitrite-Oxidizing Bacterial Communities in a Pilot-Scale Chloraminated Drinking Water Distribution System" Applied and Enviromental Microbiology 2002. The study where the %'s came from was Wolfe et al. "Occurrence of nitrification in chloranimated distribution systems" Journal (American Water Works Association), 1996

In other words, the strains that are in the water utilities have become more resistant to chloramines, and can indeed use the ammonia present as sustenance.

And, back to fishtanks, where do the AOB and NOB come from in the first place? Well, if you used tap water, they probably came from your water utility, and if a resistant strain has grown there... that same chloramine resistant strain is probably now growing in your tank too. The Regan et al. study cited above and Regan et al. "Diversity of nitrifying bacteria in full-scale cloranimated distribution systems" Water Research, 2003, was among the first to use DNA sequencing to distinguish all the different AOB and NOB that are growing. Some of the names should be pretty familiar: AOBs Nitrosospira, Nm. oligotropha and NOBs Nitrospira, Nitrobacter

So, it seems that AOB and so on can become resistant, or at the very least, as mentioned in the above posts, the chloramine levels are certainly not designed to sterilize a colony of bacteria as large in number as we culture in our tanks and so chloraminated water probably is not going to ruin a fishtank.
Andy,

Sorry for the sarcasm and the heated debate. I certainly haven't meant any disrespect to you even though it may have come off that way.

No worries

Listen, bacteria colonies can't arrive via tap. It's impossible because tapwater contains chlorine and chloramine that disallows any bacteria to arrive through the tap. I didn't respond to this on the forum because I wanted to give you a chance to edit that out. That could have made you look really bad and I didn't want to point that out in public. I have no doubt you have a good bit of knowledge on this and everyone here seems to respect your contribution here and I don't want to damage that.

Actually, they can. Look through the posts made by Bignose (a scientist by trade who has access to all sorts of research papers) and he agrees. While the water companies put chlorinated treatment into the pipes it is not 100% efficient. That is why the bacterial colony slowly starts up, it needs to grow from the level in the water (which is the few remaining hardy souls that survive water treatment) to a level that can cope with an unnaturally high amount of bioload.

A big problem at the moment is the fact that strains of Nitrosomonas spp have appeared that are not only immune to chloramine, but can utilise the ammonia part of the molecule. This means there is less chloramine in the water to treat the real nasties (like E. coli). At the bottom of this is Bignose's post which contains references to all the papers on this.

Also, where else do you think that bacterial colonies come from when people don't use bottled cultures?

How about we become friends and have a good time doing the work ourselves to come to a conclusion on the issue and include others in the process? The whole point is to know the truth. Hell, I want to find it too.

I hope my olive branch is well received.

Yours truly,

Reefer_ron

No worries, but if people say things that are contradicted by peer reviewed science, then I am going to point out they are wrong. Problems with chloramination follow:

QUOTE(Bignose)
Well, a quick perusal of the scientific literature came up with some rather surprising results.

Firstly, and most surprising to me, the problem ammonia oxidizing bacteria (AOB) and nitrite oxidizing bacteria (NOB) growing in water utilities' facilities is becoming a somewhat serious issue. The chloramine does in fact, promote the growth of AOB and NOB, with the consequences -- written is a nice non-threatening way as -- "...the addition of chloramines can lead to biological instability in a drinking water distribution system by promoting the growth of nitrifying bacteria..." and "The resulting reduction in chloramine residual and development of a microbial community in the distribution system lead to water quality deterioration and violation of drinking water regulations." I think that I might very well have put a little more emphasis on violations of the drinking water regulations.

Basically, because the AOB and NOB grow, they excrete other organic compounds allowing other bacteria to grow. At the very minimum, this additional bacteria will require more chloramine to kill it off, but then, more chloramine promotes more growth of AOB and NOB, and I think you can see where this cycle is going... Here is the really bad news, with this extra growth, all that stuff we don't want in there could grow now, like the coliform bacteria (E. coli -- think spinach), and viruses, and Guardia lamblia and so on. All of these are pretty strictly required to be below certain levels by the U.S. EPA, and similarly in other countries.

Secondly, the really interesting part is that in lab test after lab test, the recommended exposure times and concentrations of chloramines do their jobs. The chloramines in the lab kill off all the organics, including the AOB and NOB. However, at the utility side of the issue, nitrification episodes are rather commonplace. One recent study found 63% of U.S. chloramining utilities and 64% of Southern Australian utilities tested positive for nitrifying bacteria.

One hypothesis for the discrepancy between the laboratory studies and operating results is that there are AOB strains
growing in full-scale systems that possess a greater chloramine resistance than those studied in the kinetic experiments. Whether the AOB strains used in earlier kinetic studies are representative of significant strains involved in full-scale nitrification episodes has not been confirmed, since there are no published evaluations of AOB diversity in chloraminated distribution systems.

This quote, and the above ones, from Regan, Harrington, and Noguera: "Ammonia- and Nitrite-Oxidizing Bacterial Communities in a Pilot-Scale Chloraminated Drinking Water Distribution System" Applied and Enviromental Microbiology 2002. The study where the %'s came from was Wolfe et al. "Occurrence of nitrification in chloranimated distribution systems" Journal (American Water Works Association), 1996

In other words, the strains that are in the water utilities have become more resistant to chloramines, and can indeed use the ammonia present as sustenance.

And, back to fishtanks, where do the AOB and NOB come from in the first place? Well, if you used tap water, they probably came from your water utility, and if a resistant strain has grown there... that same chloramine resistant strain is probably now growing in your tank too. The Regan et al. study cited above and Regan et al. "Diversity of nitrifying bacteria in full-scale cloranimated distribution systems" Water Research, 2003, was among the first to use DNA sequencing to distinguish all the different AOB and NOB that are growing. Some of the names should be pretty familiar: AOBs Nitrosospira, Nm. oligotropha and NOBs Nitrospira, Nitrobacter

So, it seems that AOB and so on can become resistant, or at the very least, as mentioned in the above posts, the chloramine levels are certainly not designed to sterilize a colony of bacteria as large in number as we culture in our tanks and so chloraminated water probably is not going to ruin a fishtank.

All that said, I think I am still going to continue to use my conditioner. It is pretty cheap, and better safe than sorry. However, I am not going to fret if I forget, or if a water change is due up and I haven't been to the LFS lately to get a new bottle.

Oh, and of course, I will now be nice and worried about our water supply.
All that said, I think I am still going to continue to use my conditioner. It is pretty cheap, and better safe than sorry. However, I am not going to fret if I forget, or if a water change is due up and I haven't been to the LFS lately to get a new bottle.

Oh, and of course, I will now be nice and worried about our water supply.

--------------------
My Second PM
--------------------

reefer_ron said:
Interesting theories. Lots of "probabliy" and "if" scattered in those passages but we'll see.

That is how scientists write. A theory is a statement which describes the results experienced and can predict future results. Scientists will describe what appears to be happening and suggest what is likely to happen. You can't deny the facts that:

1) AOB and NOB are becoming immune to chloramine

2) the AOB and NOB found in the waterways are extremely similar (if not identical) to those found in our FW tanks.

Consider some of the statements in my message which are gleaned from peer reviewed scientific works. They state that the bacteria found in the waterways are the same as those found in aquaria. Seems the best source to me. Or are you still favouring Santa for people like me who don't use cultures in a bottle?

reefer_ron said:
Lucky for us a good friend of mine is a PHD in microbiology from A&M and works with bacteria every Monday through Friday. I'll have him run some tap water and see what he finds in it.

I'll have a conclusion on this soon. This will be interesting.

How lucky indeed. Why not ask him about which bacteria are responsible for ammonia oxidisation and nitrite oxidisation in aquatic environments too? Or would you have to start personal insults against him for agreeing with what I have already written after he consults the relevant peer reviewed papers to give you your answer?

How strange that you aren't continuing this in the thread. Suddenly got shy while defending Superbac?

SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAMMITY SPAAMMM

Quite strange two newbies who have only posted on this board trying to sell bacteria?

Someone do a test and then we'll believe you.

-------------------
My third PM
-------------------

reefer_ron said:
I've already asked him about nitrobacter. He said it's absolutely effective in oxidizing nitrite and that nitrospira is very unstable in a high ammonia situation and not ideal. He gave up on it 4 years ago. He also said wastewater treatment plants have been and continue to buy nitrosomonas and nitrobacter formulas to effectively replace their activated sludge after wash-outs for 30 years and counting. This is what got me interested in Super Bac to begin with.

nitrospira is indeed unstable and doesn't work well in high ammonia situations, but for that we are talking well in excess of 8ppm, which is not a great problem for the aquarium. It also doesn't work well at a pH of much below 6. This is believed to be because a different strain of AOB and NOB bacteria are present in more acidic waters.

reefer_ron said:
He also knows of Dr. Hovanic's studies very well and told me that Marineland paid for his PHD dissertation in exchange for finding a nitrifying bacteria they could patent and the research is pretty laughable in the scientific community.

If his research is laughable, where are the peer review comments deriding it as such. He did explain to you about peer review didn't he? He did explain that once you have done your research it is published and then the scientific community reads over what you have put and if it is not good science they rip it to shreds, especially when you are presenting a new idea like Dr Hovanic did?

And if your buddy is so much better, maybe he could provide his research that shows that in an aquarium nitrosomonas is not as important as nitrospira.

Oh, and what did he say about all the other research papers not involved with Dr Hovanic that deal with how important Nitrosomonas is? No answer there either? Shame.

reefer_ron said:
Have any more internet clippings, Googleboy? Or should I continue to school you on what's really going on?

Ad hominem attacks again. Getting a bit standard for you, eh? I will repeat. I have presented peer reviewed scientific research to back up what I am saying (and it backs up Dr Hovanic's point of view as well). Your response is to call me google boy and tell me what an unnamed "friend with a Ph.D" says. No scientific papers to back up your point of view.

reefer_ron said:
So much for the olive branch. You're just a little #### aren't you? Well, 26 years old. Internet generation. Sit in front of a video screen and don't do anything for yourself and think you know everything.

I'll have the tap results soon.

I never claim to know everything, but I do read what is put in front of me and weigh up the evidence and trust the scientific peer review process. Since the mid 1990s scientists have been performing analysis of aquarium water after finding that cultures with Nitrobacter and Nitrosomonas were not having the expected results.

These experiments found that Nitrospira was the main NOB in an aquarium.

Now, if you want to actually find some scientific papers that dispute what I am writing, go for it. But stop making yourself look silly by making ad hominem attacks.

Most reactions

Back