I Left The Fishes Home Alone For 2 Weeks

Pipe Dream

Reaction score
I'm gone from home for 2 weeks. Was considering an automatic feeder, but most of them, based on reviews i read, are pure crap. Finally I found the only acceptable one - an Eheim - at my LFS, for about 40 euros. But right next to it on the shelf were so-called holiday packs, including a 2-week one. It looks like a little chalk brick which is supposed to dissolve overtime in the water thus gradually releasing fish food contained inside. For up to 25 fishes, which is exactly the number of my stock. Made by JBL, it cost less than 3 euros.

Do you have any experience with this sort of stuff? Is it reliable? Will it mess up the water? No idea what's going on at home now.

I chose not to buy that Eheim as I'm rarely away for more than a week, and I figure the fish can make it for 7 days with no food. What do you think?

Get a neighbour/relative to go in once a week to feed them? Leave out only enough food for each feed and hide the rest. Do a big water change before you go.

i get my nane to

she'sm y personally auto fish feeder when im on holiday :) shedoes a good job of it too! :D

If you can't get anyone to feed them for you, over feed them for a week or two prior to your time away, and then leave them for 2 weeks, they'll be fine.

One of those pill boxes labeled for each day of the week are good for relatives. Like someone said before, hide the main container so they can't overfeed.

I'm gone from home for 2 weeks. Was considering an automatic feeder, but most of them, based on reviews i read, are pure crap. Finally I found the only acceptable one - an Eheim - at my LFS, for about 40 euros. But right next to it on the shelf were so-called holiday packs, including a 2-week one. It looks like a little chalk brick which is supposed to dissolve overtime in the water thus gradually releasing fish food contained inside. For up to 25 fishes, which is exactly the number of my stock. Made by JBL, it cost less than 3 euros.

Do you have any experience with this sort of stuff? Is it reliable? Will it mess up the water? No idea what's going on at home now.

I chose not to buy that Eheim as I'm rarely away for more than a week, and I figure the fish can make it for 7 days with no food. What do you think?

Don't worry. Iknow some people don't like those holiday blocks but I've used them twice with good results -fish all alive and healthy when I got back, tank water clear. I went away for 17 days earlier this year. Fed fish well just before leaving, then put 2 week holiday block in each tank (have 4 tanks). All fish were fine when I got back - cichlids had fry!Did big water chANges before and after as others on this forum already advised.

Get a neighbour/relative to go in once a week to feed them? Leave out only enough food for each feed and hide the rest. Do a big water change before you go.

Yes that's what I did it works great. Unless you have fry .

You can buy that food like a huge block of pellet food that slowly softens up where the fish will slowly bite at it.

if they were completely healthy before you left, they would be just fine. fish go for weeks without food in the wild at times.

also, i would highly suggest against using those holiday feeders, as they have a tendency to really mess with your water parameters. especially if youre going to be gone for 2 weeks. thats 2 weeks of constantly adding an ammonia/nitrate source with no means of WC. its better to just not feed them at all IMO

if they were completely healthy before you left, they would be just fine. fish go for weeks without food in the wild at times.

also, i would highly suggest against using those holiday feeders, as they have a tendency to really mess with your water parameters. especially if youre going to be gone for 2 weeks. thats 2 weeks of constantly adding an ammonia/nitrate source with no means of WC. its better to just not feed them at all IMO

m8 y did you not give me your opinion before I went away? dreading what I might come home to now, fingers crossed theyre fine

I use a person to feed my fish :lol:. They are really only there to check up on the cats. Our indoor/outdoor cats go crazy when locked up for a week with no one around. So people have to come check on them. I set out those weekly pill containers with fish food so they can feed the fish, usually every other day.

There is only one vacation feeder I would recommend. It's by tetramin. It's a gel feeder. I have had great experience with theese. They DO NOT DISSOLVE. The fish have to pick at them to get food. So, your water doesn't get cloudy, and your tank isn't full of rotting food. They are very cheap to purchase. Are all your fish adults? If so, they will be fine with no food for two weeks. I would turn the temp down a couple degree's so their metabolism slows down if your still worried. I wouldn't have another person feed the fish. I would hate to come home to dead , over fed fish.

hes already gone by the look of it
good luck :)

thanks for the input. i live in a big city where we don't really know our neighbors, let alone give them our apartment keys, so unfortunately that option would have been off the table anyway. i also dont feel like bothering people i know. but too bad i didn't ask before i left, i'm surprised so many of you recommended leaving them with no food for 2 weeks. but it makes sense, next time i'll give that a try. i'll post an update when i get home. six more days.

Most reactions

Back