I Have Panda Fry

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AlexAndCarmen

Scorched Earth
Reaction score
My pandas finally spawned on Monday evening. We've had them a while and I've been desparate for them to spawn, since I've bred my bronze cory's already. :wub: She only lay one egg each spawn, on my log in the java moss. So I just pulled off the java strand with egg and put them in the fry tank in a breeding net. I only managed to save 6 (it was late at night :/ ) and 4 seem to be fertile. This morning, 2 have hatched, :hyper: and they are so cute. I know it will be difficult to raise them, since they are more fragile than the bronze. Then last night they spawned again, but I only managed to save 1 egg. I know the older they get, the more she'll lay at a time. Just wish she'd put them somewhere easy to retrieve. :S

I'll keep you updated with their progress, and hopefully get some pics when they're bigger :yahoo:

Congratulations!!! i wish i could get my corys to lay eggs. The pandas are quite expensive by ours about £4.50 each!

Congrats! Babies are always so exciting. Good luck with your new "grandchildren" :good:

Thanks guys. There are 4 fry now, all hatched yesterday and are still swimming around together, well shooting around together. :fun: There are only 4 in a breeding net, and they all stay together on one side of the net!! :lol: Very sweet. Luckily I have a microworm culture going, so I'll feed them that in a couple of days. They seem so tiny compared to the bronze fry, but I probably just don't remember how tiny they were :S

The parents seem to be spawning again tonight, but I can't see where she is putting the eggs. We are in the process of setting up a proper breeding tank for them (they are in our community tank at the moment). On the plus side, they are exciting the Sterbai's, so hopefully they will start to spawn. The females are both really ready, but the males both are not too interested. Not sure if they are old enough yet. They get excited like the females, but nothing has happend yet. :hey: Our octo's are also getting really excited with all the breeding activity. They are suppose to breed the same way as the cory's, but being such fast little things, I bet it's hard to tell if they have. :D

Ooh do keep telling us how the fry are doing. They sound charming and adorable. Good good luck with them and how many breeding nets do you have in case everyone gets all horny at once? This could get interesting all right. :lol: I could see you running madly in all directions trying to save one batch after another and nowhere to put them---"mmm okay I've got a spare roasting pan upstairs...and there's the sink in our 2nd bathroom...." :lol: ;) Enjoy enjoy and congrats on breeding them all so successfully!

im very jealous...i have bronze corys and i cant seem to get them to spawn...i have 3 and i really cant tell which are females =)

im very jealous...i have bronze corys and i cant seem to get them to spawn...i have 3 and i really cant tell which are females =)

If you are able to look at the corys from above, the females are wider and the males slim. It also depends on the age of the corys. We had our bronze and albino corys for almost a year before they began spawning for us. Then we couldn't stop them. We eventually got rid of the albino pair and the bronze female didn't spawn again. Tank temp and feeding also contribute to spawning. :D

The fry are still doing well. They have started swimming a bit better, not shooting into things anymore. I just love them, they are so gorgeous. :D :wub: I'm going to give them some microworms later. Going to have to try put the tiniest amount in, for only 4 fry :fun:

hi Alex&Carmen,congrats on the fry!!!!!how are they doing?are all 4 still ok?post some pics for us all to see plse.

shaz :)

Does anyone have a photo of what panda cory eggs looks like? or link to one on this forum?

I love my panda cory's.. fantastic things.. one of mine is in my sig.. (the one on the right, not the furry one with a snorkel)....

Thanks
Squid

Does anyone have a photo of what panda cory eggs looks like? or link to one on this forum?

I love my panda cory's.. fantastic things.. one of mine is in my sig.. (the one on the right, not the furry one with a snorkel)....

Thanks
Squid

Here's a link to my old Panda fry journal, it shows my Pandas when they were still in the eggs.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=120683

Hey Shaz

There are only 3 fry. I'm sure I saw 4 when they hatched, but only have a defininate 3. They are doing well, feeding on microworms. They are so cute. And I swear you can already tell they are panda's. :wub: They're almost a week old now. Sorry for taking so long to answer, we had huge problems with the PC yesterday and it took a while to get everything sorted. :/ I have taken pics, but not sure how they've come out. The hubby needs to load software first, so hopefully I'll have pics soon. As for the lonesome egg I rescued the other day, nothing ever came of it. Not even sure where it went. I put it in the net, but it's gone. The parents haven't spawned, well not in front of me for a while, but I do think they do it when we are asleep. They always get excited just before I want to go to bed!! :S

Keep well, Carmen :D

hi carmen,glad to hear that the 3 fry are doing great!!!cant wait til you sort out the software & get some pics up for us to see.iv only got peppers but am planning on seting up a new tank in a month or so & would love to get some pandas in there,there such cuties!

why do corys always start to spawn when your ready for bed???think they do it on purpose to make us stay up all night,crafy lil buggers,lol.

get the pics up as soon as poss cus im all excited for you & cant wait to see the new arrivals,lol!!

take care. shaz :)

Hi again

Here is a pic of one of the panda fry. Hubby has stuffed an airpipe from the filter outlet into the net to keep water fresh. :D The pic was taken a few days ago, and amazingly, they have actually grown a bit since. :wub: The pandas were at it again last night, and I have about 10 more eggs. The otos started this morning, so more eggs. Not going to have anywhere to put them all soon. :blink: :fun:

Attachments

• Picture_005.jpg
    Picture_005.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 81

Most reactions

Back