I Have Panda Fry

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Oh, they're so cute!! I'm so happy for you that they've grown. =)

I got 5 more pandas today for a total of 9 - I'll make them rape eachother if I have to >:|

Keep us updated! Also, it's cool that your otos are spawning, is that common?

Oh, they're so cute!! I'm so happy for you that they've grown. =)

I got 5 more pandas today for a total of 9 - I'll make them rape eachother if I have to >:|

Keep us updated! Also, it's cool that your otos are spawning, is that common?

Thanks Dakota

It's always worrying that they'll still be alive in the morning, but they do seem to be doing well.
:rolleyes: I've actually seen them eating the microworms, they go ballistic, it's really cute.

I know you'll have success. It does take a while to get it right, when we started with the bronze it was a struggle in the beginning, and even with previous experience, it's not always plain sailing. :look:

As for the otos, I'm not sure. On the plec side of the forum, some have said it's difficult, but ours were at it all day and night yesterday. We didn't rescue them all because we're not sure how hard it's going to be to raise them. :unsure:

And Happy Birthday for today!! :bday: My Birthday is in a couple of days, although I'm nearly twice your age, 29 this year :/

Keep well and have a lovely day
Carmen :D

Aw, thank you, I'm finally old enough to drive! Really, thanks, it's nice to hear a happy birthday. =)

I remember when I had panda fry I was always scared to check them in the morning because I didn't want them to be dead. Mine seemed to make it the first week and then died off after that. =( You know what you're doing though, I'd bet 100 bucks yours will make it.

I read up a little on otto spawning and there wasn't much info on it - you must be the queen of spawning fish!! Congrats!

Yipee. Hubby was cleaning the main tanks external filter, an Eheim Eco 2236. I insisted on looking in the bottom of the canister for any fry since we've had two fish breeding and found a panda fry!!! :wub: He is so gorgeous, same size as the other 3 in the baby tank, so he's now in the net with his siblings, swimming around looking cute :D :wub: So, that's a total of 4 and my other eggs should be hatching in the next few days. :D

Hope you had a nice birthday Dakota. Carmen :D

Hi all

The fry are now 12 days old and looking so beautiful. I am so surprised how much they look like pandas already. The bronze take a while to take on their parents colouring, but the pandas already look like pandas. Aaaaw :wub: Yesterday, the eggs we saved Friday the 12th started hatching, so I have new panda fry in the breeding net. And to make things more complicated, they spawned again last night, so more eggs in another breeding trap!! I've released the panda fry into the fry tank. Although small, they are big enough for the bigger bronze cory's to ignore. They haven't even paid attention to their new tank mates. :fun: I sucked them up into a cup before releasing them into the tank. First pic is of all 4 in cup and second is of one fry this morning. Of course, he is sitting right where there is a bit of algae on the glass. The whole tank is clean, but that spot I missed :lol:

Picture081.jpg

Picture082.jpg

Keep well, Carmen :D

Oh they're so cute! I'm jealous!!

Did you keep their eggs in a breeder net in the main tank? I've heard the current kept the eggs from fungusing pretty well and I thought I might try it. My 3 biggest females tonight all spawned and I have TONS of eggs - I want to save atleast some.

Hi Dakota

We removed the eggs from our log covered in java moss in our community tank. We put them in a fine mesh breeding net in our fry tank. The tank with fry has 4 and nearly 5 month old bronze fry, but only a few of them. I released the 4 panda fry into the tank the other day. They are so cute. :wub: They swim around like they are the big boys now with the bronze fry!!! :p Our net is in the flow of the filter, so that seems to keep them healthy. We've had to check our phosphates in the water, because ours are high here and the cory fry don't do well with high phosphates. :crazy: So we've got a phosphate remover in at the moment. Our otos spawned as well when the phosphates were lowered!! We have the net in as soon as the eggs have been laid, so it grows a good algae on it. The fry seem to eat the algae as well as microworms. ;)

In the net at the moment, we have fry who hatched on the 17th and that night the pandas spawned again, and again on Friday!! So we have eggs all over. I'll keep releasing 2 week old fry into the main tank.

You'll get it right, I'm sure of it. The easy thing is spawning (which with pandas is hard enough). Fry are delicate and even when you've done your best, things don't always work. We're just lucky that we raised bronze fry before, so we had a bit more experience. Good luck, and I know you'll have some fry to show us, all grown up :D Keep well and speak again soon, Carmen :D

:wub: Awww they are too cute, well done Carmen!! How exciting that all must be...We have bronze cory fry at the moment, almost 4 months and 3 months old respectively. Very very cute!

Can't wait to see them develop so keep us updated :good:

Thanks Little Lady

And congrats to you on your bronze fry. It's exciting when your fish breed!!

Our panda babies are in with our 4 and 5 month old bronze fry and are already acting like they are bigger than the bronze fry!!! :lol: They have such attitudes for such tiny things and absolutely love their microworms. Everytime you find one, they have this huge white belly. Can't belive how quick they are growing too. Not even a month old yet. :wub: We had more eggs hatch last night, and if their parents are to stray true to form, they'll be spawning again tonight!! A bit manic at the moment, but we are only getting about 4 fry each spawn, due to the fact that the one female thinks they are tasty and our male ram is a cheeky bugger. :fun: Will definitely keep everyone updated. I'll post some more pics in a few weeks, when they get their other black bands :wub: .

Only just saw this post. Congrats :good: and how cute are they ? :wub: you clearly have something in the water with all your fishies breeding like mad !

It's been a while since I put an updated pic of the little sweeties. They have black spots on their dorsal fins and just before their tails, where their black bands will be!! :wub: I have 4 month old fry in our fry tank, and 3 about a week or so younger. There is a huge difference in size, but they do grow fast. In our breeding net we have about 12 or so, all ranging in age from 10 days to 2 days old. Our pandas started spawning every week, then every 2 days and now every night. It's still a chore to collect eggs, because some get squashed while she tries to lay them, by the males chasing after her, some get eaten by them and others eaten by the ram or bronze corys!!! Both females insist on laying eggs in the java moss on our log, and no where else.

Anyway. The older fry still eat microworms, but also our catfish pellets. They were easier to train than the bronze fry. They took a lot longer to ween.

Hanging out with the guys
Picture233.jpg

Look at that panda band
Picture257.jpg

Another panda fry with bronze mates
Picture299.jpg

ahhhhhhh Carmen,they are soooo cute,im in love :wub: !!!bet your sooo pleased that they keep laying eggs after waiting so long for them to start.good luck with them & let us know how it all goes! shaz :)

Hi all

Been almost 2 weeks since I updated the pics on the panda fry. They are still growing well and their colours have intensified. They are very bossy and whip around the tank as if they've been there for ever :wub:

Three of different ages, the biggest being from our first batch
Picture370.jpg

Two adorable fry
Picture371.jpg

A close up, about 5 weeks old :wub:
Picture374.jpg

:wub: ohhh my hearts melting: sooooo cute. Wish i could find panda's in australia *sighs* ohh well, my bronze s are still pretty cool. Congratulations

Most reactions

Back