I am almost about to quit the hobby

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Can I really do that? With this filter some of the stuff with the bacteria only gets water if the filter is on
For 9 hours Max, no it won’t kill our bacteria. As long as it is wet, it will survive.

It's better not to turn off your filter at night. Later your fish may die without filter running.

Can you ask Fluval for advice of this noisy issue?

If not, what is the size of your tank?
Probably we can recommend some cheaper filters to you.
I often used some Asian or China brands that are cheaper and they can do the same jobs as the expensive filters. You just need to rearrange filter medias.

Ok nice, I sleep about 7 hours so it should be good, thank you.
It's better not to turn off your filter at night. Later your fish may die without filter running.

I often used some Asian or China brands that are cheaper and they can do the same jobs as the expensive filters. You just need to rearrange filter medias.
I used to turn my filter off at night, because it was super noisy. The media was perfectly fine. (of course I did have internal filters.)

I would check out @madmark285’s thread.

Ok nice, I sleep about 7 hours so it should be good, thank you.

Just to side track, how is the weather in Canada now?
It must be super cold by now.

I live in a tropical country. So, my country is perfect for keeping fish as I don't need a heater.
Whenever I change my tanks' water, the tap water temperature is almost the same as my tanks' water temperature.

I have an ex-colleague who migrated to Canada many years ago and he is working for UL (safety agency), similar to CSA for Canada.

I contacted Fluval, it's probably going to take a few days before I get an answer.

It's a 55 gallon. Before buying a new one I just want to be sure if I have an o ring, where is it supposed to be exactly? I know nothing about all of that... If that's the issu maybe I could get a new one for really cheap

Just to side track, how is the weather in Canada now?
It must be super cold by now.

I live in a tropical country. So, my country is perfect for keeping fish as I don't need a heater.
Whenever I change my tanks' water, the tap water temperature is almost the same as my tanks' water temperature.

I have an ex-colleague who migrated to Canada many years ago and he is working for UL (safety agency), similar to CSA for Canada.
It's pretty cold going from -5 c to -25 c but it's the best year we have had so far in many, there is not a lot of snow. Usually the snow goes as high as the first floor roof but this year it's half of that!

You are so lucky! I would love to live in a warm climate all year! What province does your ex-colleague lives in, I am curious? Canada is pretty big haha

It's a 55 gallon. Before buying a new one I just want to be sure if I have an o ring, where is it supposed to be exactly? I know nothing about all of that... If that's the issu maybe I could get a new one for really cheap
The o-ring normally sits between the motor and the filter case. If you take the motor off the filter case, you should see a thin black rubber ring, that's the o-ring. It won't be causing noise.

Inside the motor is an impellor assembly that contains a steel or ceramic shaft, an impellor (magnet with 3 or 4 plastic blades on one end), and there are usually plastic washers and rubber grommets on either end of the shaft. The rubber grommets hold the impellor on the impellor shaft.
Most filters have plastic washers and rubber grommets but some don't. I don't know about your particular filter.

As Colin had mentioned, the O ring is placed in between the motor and the filter(the part where the motor is attached/joined to the filter) to prevent water from leaking out.

Here are some links about the C4 spare parts for your understanding.

Attachments

• IMG_20210219_124828.jpg
    IMG_20210219_124828.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20210219_124915.jpg
    IMG_20210219_124915.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20210219_124807.jpg
    IMG_20210219_124807.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
If the grommet were missing, the filter housing would leak a lot.

Try removing the cover and see if the noise goes away..could just be the lid vibrating

It's pretty cold going from -5 c to -25 c but it's the best year we have had so far in many, there is not a lot of snow. Usually the snow goes as high as the first floor roof but this year it's half of that!

You are so lucky! I would love to live in a warm climate all year! What province does your ex-colleague lives in, I am curious? Canada is pretty big haha

-25C is very cold.

My ex-colleague lives in Toronto.

Most reactions

Back