I am almost about to quit the hobby

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Don't give up. On the Fluval C4, is the top rattling? Remove the top and see what it sounds like (I have glass fish weights on my Aquaclear tops to stop the rattle).
I wouldn't downsize, but that's just me. You might find some value in The Very Best Aquarium Filter.
In any case, I'm with @Colin_T, don't give it away or sell the 55g cheap as you may regret it later. And smaller tanks may seem like less work, but smaller tanks really don't change the effort much and less water can mean bigger problems quicker.
No it's not the top, I tried, I think it's something with the motor. I will think about all of that, I am scared to regret it if I take it down. I have a 10 gallon, I don't see it as much because it's not in my bedroom like my 55 gallons but it's extremely low maintenance. I just make a 20% waterchange and add RO water that I get from the fishstore for the evaporation.

what type of noise do you hear from your fluval filter..is it a grinding noise, screeching noise or just noise from falling water? Can you make a youtube video of it and post it here? You may be able to buy a replacement impeller if that is the source of the noise.

what type of noise do you hear from your fluval filter..is it a grinding noise, screeching noise or just noise from falling water? Can you make a youtube video of it and post it here? You may be able to buy a replacement impeller if that is the source of the noise.
Sometimes it's 5X worst than that but it sounds like that:
There is like 2 different sound coming from it

Also I cleaned it again yesterday so that helped but I am sure that in a few days it will get back to it's typical annoying sound like it always does

Sometimes it's 5X worst than that but it sounds like that:
There is like 2 different sound coming from it

It sounded like the impeller is too dirty or not properly placed.
You will need to clean the area around the impeller where it sits on.

Also, the intake tube seem to be loose and need be pushed down more. Seems like there is some gap between the intake tube and the place where its supposed to sit on.
Trying pushing the intake tube down towards the impeller position.

it sounds like plastic vibrating. touch each part of the filter and see if it changes the noise.

All else fails, you can get a marineland emperor 400 for like $40 just about anywhere. That would be more than enough for a 55 gallon, and be very quite. Only noise mine makes is when the water gets low, then it sounds like a.small waterfall in a.creek.

They make a 350 for a little cheaper. Just as good. You could get away with a Penguin 200 too, and these are less than $20...altho on a 55, you'd be at that ones max ability.

All these filters are whisper quiet to operate. I use all of them. They last forever too.

As some have said, the impeller may be jammed/clogged up. I had a new filter in my 20g long for about 2 weeks, and I just took it apart and cleaned it* a few days ago. There was so much gunk in there, that it had stopped the filter from working all together! I was able to get all of it out and now it works perfectly. :)

*Note: If you take it apart and clean it, make sure to not wash the media in tap water - it will kill your beneficial bacteria.

Update, I added the vaseline and it didn't help and I also tried moving things a little bit. I didn't see the O ring, I think it's missing, maybe it's what' causing so much noise from the motor?

Hi, as you read the title I am thinking about quiting fish keeping, I am exhausted of sleeping with a very noisy filter which is the fluval c4 (do not ever buy that)

For now, turn your filter off at night and get a good night sleep.

Most reactions

Back