Humane Killing

There is no humane way to kill perfectly healthy fish. Take them to your local fish store and give them to them or ask them if they know of anyone that would want them. No use to kill them.

I didn't say I was going too, I'm just asking

I am interested how people cull fry, I've reas people talking about this but I don;t know how it's done

yer if u do'nt want them just keep them in the tank and the fry will be eaten

Platys, the perfect fry terminator :shifty:

i personally think taking them to the lfs is the best idea,
but for killing them, which i frown upon, probally for fry, feeding to other fish, or flushing down the loo.
as for adults, again flushing, head chopping or crushing.
all these ways are making me sick

What if the LFS doesn't take them, or just takes them or kills them? :/

-is having a similar problem-

Sorry to hijack OP, I personally would say clove oil if you HAVE to.

I know I cant get rid of a few (got it sorted) fish so I had to look at euthinizing. Drop a large havey rock on them should be instant death, or slowly freezing, even the garbage disposal (while messy, its fast and efficient).

According to most of the fish books I have read, the most humane way to euthanase is to use a very sharp knife and cut downwards from top to bottom through the spine just behind the fishes head.

According to most of the fish books I have read, the most humane way to euthanase is to use a very sharp knife and cut downwards from top to bottom through the spine just behind the fishes head.
Correct. Another way is to put them into a freezer bag and hit them against something solid. Not very nice but at least quick. Flushing is a definite no as I can not imagine the agony of slowly being poisoned by human waste, bleach and god knows what else. In the past I tended to put them in a plastic container and stick this in the freezer. This method has very mixed views in the fish world. Some say that they fish go into a kind of coma as the water cools then gradually their hearts stop and they die. Others seem to believe that even tropical fish stay alive down to 0 degrees and then die from having all their cells gradually freezing. Finally there is a product called clove oil which you can drop your fish in until they "pass out". Again mixed messages about the possible pain caused.

I now think that if I had to, I'd go for the freezer bag and hitting them on the kitchen work top. Or possibly the plastic container in the freezer. Do a search for euthanasia on this forum and you'll find lots of other opinions. Not an easy subject I'm afraid.

:good:

not sure if killing any fish on purpose is humane i think there must be tons of people wanting fish for free you should check the wanted pages or put a post up for free fry but killing no matter how small is a little barbaric

Most reactions

Back