TB, and effected fish…

Darn… this is a vintage 1960’s tank from a local infamous stripper club called the Tiki bar… I was hoping the adult Tin Foils being from the same region, and being of the carp family, would be more resistant to it…

I'd love to see the tank.

The thing is, resistance still means catching it, and catching it still means a shorter life.

An odd thing is that while rainbows were TBing out all around them, my boesemani seemed absolutely unaffected. They still do, long after their poxy tankmates died. It'll be years before I can see if they blossom with age - they are only 5. I had sold the older breeders before I spent a fortune on diseased fish that looked great at the time, and have 2 generations post die off in my tanks, with no apparent issues except my wanamensis seem infertile.

My orange and blues seem more resistant, as did the madigascars they both went through the long drawn out yellow axlerodi die off…

Actually this tank in of itself, is pretty ugly… the bar burned down Tiki bar with grass roof booths, back in the day that they were still allowing smoking in the bars… the tank is heavy plate glass, standard size for a 55 gallon, no center support needed, with the thick glass… this was probably one of the 1st plastic frame tanks… plastic didn’t melt l, but got brittle, so much, is missing… it was still full of water after the fire, but of coarse the piranhas were dead, but it never had to be resealed… too bad it didn’t have metal ( stainless??? ) frame, it would look nicer… it’s built in, so a little bit of a pain to replace, but at least the tank was a standard size, so a new one should fit…

If you have rainbowfish in the tank, you could breed them and put the babies back in. If you have a spare tank you could put some of the baby rainbows into that and keep the isolated for a couple of years to see if they develop TB. If they don't then you have some clean fish and can use them in the tank after it gets stripped and cleaned.

Are there other species of fish that are high risk for carrying TB?

Livebearers, and it seems to me, most fish whose ancestors colonized freshwater from the sea over the last short period of a hundred thousand years or so.

I got eggs from a smll group of M. duboulayi that had developed TB. I incubated the eggs with a UV sterilizer running, then raised them with the same device going. They all died of TB at about 2 inches. It was a nice try.

Are there other species of fish that are high risk for carrying TB?
Virtually any fish coming out of Asian fish farms can be a carrier of Fish TB. However, in Australia it is common in dwarf gouramis (Colisa lalius) and their colour varieties. I don't see it in many common livebearers but it does occur in them. I have seen it in African Rift Lake cichlids, danios and goldfish.

I don't usually see it in tetras or catfish and loaches but I assume this is due to these types of fishes having evolved with it for millions of years and potentially being able to live with it for longer before they die.

Most reactions

Back