Huge nitrite spike in betta/ shrimp tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Willbacon23

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Yesterday I swapped my community tank with my betta tank due to a need for larger space. Yesterday my betta shrimp tank seemed fine however this morning I saw lots of shrinks near the surface and around the filter. I decided to move the shrimp to my community tank due to fear the betta was attacking them. However after moving them I found a dead cherry shrimp on the bottom of the gravel. I removed it and took ammonia and parameter readings in which my ammonia was still around 0ppm but my nitrite was all the way up at 3! I immediately did a 60% water change however am worried about what the cause of this nitrite spike is. Is there a chance the stress of the move caused the cherry shrimo
To die which in turn led to the large nitrite spike?

Any detectable ammonia at all is extremely toxic to fish. Nitrite is almost as bad. A few questions: How big is this tank? What was in it that swapped with the betta? Was it cycled?

You did the right thing with the water change. It sounds like either the tank wasn't cycled, or you lost your good bacteria somehow.

Any detectable ammonia at all is extremely toxic to fish. Nitrite is almost as bad. A few questions: How big is this tank? What was in it that swapped with the betta? Was it cycled?

You did the right thing with the water change. It sounds like either the tank wasn't cycled, or you lost your good bacteria somehow.
It’s an 18 gallon long, I moved over all decorations and filter, no change to filter media, the filter was put in the other tank within 10 minutes of change I just don’t understand what’s happened

Were both tanks cycled? Did you do anything to the filter? Normally, nitrites only show during cycling. Perhaps you lost your cycle.
Both tanks have been cycled, the tank in which the betta has moved into has been cycled for around 4 months, the filters output is buffered now but that can’t affeft the actual workings surely

Both tanks have been cycled, the tank in which the betta has moved into has been cycled for around 4 months, the filters output is buffered now but that can’t affeft the actual workings surely
No, it shouldn’t affect it. For some reason, it sounds like your tank has gone into a mini cycle. Do water changes as needed until it catches back up.

No, it shouldn’t affect it. For some reason, it sounds like your tank has gone into a mini cycle. Do water changes as needed until it catches back up.
That’s really annoying, I ll suspend feeding maybe and get another bottle of tetra safe start

I agree. Do large water changes until that nitrite goes down.

Are you sure you completely cycled your tank?

Most reactions

Back