Huge 900g Tank Project

Can't wait to see it all finished! I'm curious though, do you have to have any special permits for a fish house/tank of that size?

No you dont need a special permit for out buildings as long as they only have a single pitch roof and dont exceed 10 feet in height, there is a ground area rule as well, i'm unsure of the maximum size but the building is well within it as it was already here when we bought the house, all i have done is put a new roof on, screeded the floor, insulated the inside and upgraded the electrics.

very very nice. :good: when will it be done and up?

Once the tank is built it will be two weeks before it can be filled and it will probably take another 4-5 days after that to warm up to 26c so it should be running by mid October

Nice to see this starting. Tested the swimming pool pump yet?

:lol: It turns out that the swimming pool pump runs 11,000 ghp and has a 17 meter head, which is just a little too strong for my needs :lol:

looks great do you think a 100g sump is going to be enought to run that systerm :unsure:

2 words... damn you....

lol, I wish I could get a tank that size! What's going into it? Oddballs? some sort of huge catfish?

looks great do you think a 100g sump is going to be enought to run that systerm :unsure:

The sump only has to hold the top 1-2 inches of water from each tank in the event of a pump failure so 100 gallons "should" just about hold that volume of water, i will install an overflow pipe to the sump which will go to a drain as well just in case though.

Each of the other tanks on the system will have two air powered Huey Hung 1000 litre sponges powered off a 75lph pond air pump in them, this way should a tank need shutting off from the system it still has its own filtration. These filters provide masses of biological filtration so coupled with around 40 gallons of bio media in the sump and a trickle tower with floss and foam blocks there should be pleanty of filtration, i can always add more if its needed but to keep running costs of the room down i'll see how it goes with this first.

2 words... damn you....

lol, I wish I could get a tank that size! What's going into it? Oddballs? some sort of huge catfish?

The tank is mainly to provide adequate swimming room for my ever growing 27" silver arowana and 24" Liearus pictus which both dwarf my 200g tank now, it will also house a few rays, some peacock bass, other cats and various oddballs.

The tank is mainly to provide adequate swimming room for my ever growing 27" silver arowana and 24" Liearus pictus which both dwarf my 200g tank now, it will also house a few rays, some peacock bass, other cats and various oddballs.
[/quote]

Excellent stocking choices. That tank sounds like it will be awesome. One day i hope to have the room for a large custom built tank. I currently have a 6ft 135 gallon tank but that is all i have the room for at this time.

Can't wait to see this project progess.

Take care,
Mike :good:

:lol: It turns out that the swimming pool pump runs 11,000 ghp and has a 17 meter head, which is just a little too strong for my needs :lol:

Just a tad strong then :D

Are you working on anything today?

I think you should begin to charge people to enter your house now :D :blink: I must keep up with this as Im excited to see how it's going to look..... :drool: good luck...Setting up a 75 gallon costs enough for me :D What sort of filtration 700 Eheim Cannister filters :p also Is it possible if you could post some of the pictures of your fish again I love seeing them especially catfish :D

Looking good CFC, can't wait to see the finished results. One quick question, how thick is the concrete floor, and do you have any idea of what is under the concrete? I'm guessing it will end up being around 9,000 pounds total on that floor area, I've had experience with machines in that weigh range on concrete having to be releveled after some time.

A little even settling shouldn't cause a problem, uneven settling with cracking could cause a headache in the future.

Well here is the finished stand just waiting for the polystyrene sheet and the tank.

tank_stand_complete.jpg

The concrete base is about 2" thick with hardcore below it, as the weight will be spread across the five piers and from back to front the load is quite evenly supported so there isnt too much pressure on any one spot, there may be a little settling once the tank is filled but i'm expecting it to be minimal if any.

Most reactions

Back