Huge 900g Tank Project

looking good...

I'm going to have to ask a question though - how on earth are you going to clean it past the first 2-3ft at the front?? :blink:

quite simply, i'm not :lol:

I only need to keep the front glass clean of algea as i am painting the sides and rear anyway and with the ammount of flow i'm going to be putting through the system it should lift any debrie off the substrate and into the filter anyway.

now that is a monster tank
now the 2 long weeks waiting for it to cure

2 weeks?!?!

I thought it was more like 2 days for silicone to seal.

It looks great though CFC, you've done good!

2 weeks?!?!

Apparently its 1 day per millimeter of glass thickness for the silicon to set all the way through so with 12mm glass it would be 12 days, but because of the unusual width of the tank they recomended leaving it another 6 days after that just to be certain so i wont be able to fill it until the 8th of October. Until then i can keep myself entertained with the filtration system and decorating the tank, i've got some great plans for how i'm going to set it up and it should look fantastic when its finished.

Yer i wouldv'e thought it best to leave it for a long time cos you don't want the seal breaking or anything just imagine that.

(not tempting fate)

can't wait to see some more pics :D

2 weeks?!?!

Apparently its 1 day per millimeter of glass thickness for the silicon to set all the way through so with 12mm glass it would be 12 days, but because of the unusual width of the tank they recomended leaving it another 6 days after that just to be certain so i wont be able to fill it until the 8th of October. Until then i can keep myself entertained with the filtration system and decorating the tank, i've got some great plans for how i'm going to set it up and it should look fantastic when its finished.

I could barely contain myself when i had to wait 2 days for my silicone to seal.

What kind of substrate and decor are you planning?

Well sand is the obvious substrate, i hate the look of gravel and the fish preffer sand.

For decorating i have a few plans, the first is to silicon a glass shelf with a lip into the back of the tank around 12 inches down from the water line to create a shallow marginal zone which will be filled with tall pieces of bogwood to create a "stumpy" area and will silicon plastic plants to the rear wall of the tank where any fish that may be being bullied can rest. Under the shelf will be like an over hang of the bank and will give nocturnal species a dark lair to rest in during the day.
Next i am going to suspend vine roots from the ceiling using fishing line so that the roots hang half way in the water like tree roots extending from the bank and then on the substrate i will add a pile of large pieces of bogwood to create a snag area of fallen branches. In the foreground of the tank i will just add a couple of large rocks and maybe a feature piece or two of bogwood to make the tank look less empty.

Great tank CFC, 6 foot deep looks sweet...
The decor ideas sound cool, should look ace when its done...

Mike

Most reactions

Back