Hows This Tank?

The problem with small tanks is that they are harder to heat and even harder to keep clean. You would have to find a way to heat the tank if the ambient temps weren't in the 76-82 temp zone. Then you would have to do 100% water changes every 2-3 days. With a bigger tank like a 2.5 gallon you could do 100% water change once a week and there are commercial mini-heaters that would work perfectly for that.

If you don't mind doing water changes every 2-3 days and can keep your betta warm then I say go ahead and buy the 1 gallon. Otherwise go with 2.5 gal or higher.

Its not to small for a betta!! I have my male bettas in a 2.5 divided tank which works out to be 1.25 gallons per betta. I would actually keep one of my bettas in that neat little set up. I would go out and get it! Your betta will be thankful to have that space vs a tiny cup :)
You must have pretty boring bettas.

Once that thing has gravel/decor in it there's going to be very little room.
And I really don't trust these mini heaters you would need to heat that thing, I've had one break on me and the other is just so uncontrollable I wouldn't trust it with fish.

omg a 2.5 gallon divided?? woaa ok, i divided my 4gallon at one point, and even then it looked small, and that was 2gallons each, halving that sheesh no room for the lil fellas

im against keeping them in very small tanks like that in all fairness

get something atleast 2 gallons(imperial)

yes 1 gallon is too small!
Have you only got the desk to put the betta on? Is there nowhere else to put it?
You can see really when looking at tanks that the fish seem too cramped :S

In England bettas aren't kept in cups, so there's no comparison with cups for us. There are lots of small tanks I regularly see that don't take up much room :)

Hope you do the best for your betta, and hope it all goes well :D

Not only is it small for a permanent home, but it's also too expensive! I just bought 48 of these tanks (w/o the filter and light) for $50 shipped to use to separate my fry while they grow. I wouldn't use them as permanent homes though, unless they were set up in a barracks system to have new water constantly flowing in.

I find 1 gallon tanks suitable for bettas. Some people are just more conservative in their fish keeping ways than others.

My whole argument is that most people either don't want to or don't have the time to do as many water changes as is necessary to keep the ammonia levels at 0 ppm in a one gallon tank. Thus a 2 gallon tank gives you more leeway and stability than a 1 gallon tank.

I find 1 gallon tanks suitable for bettas. Some people are just more conservative in their fish keeping ways than others.

Thank you! Someone agrees with me.

And no, my bettas are not boring, they are very active and happy to be in a divided 2.5 gallon. I am not harming them in any way. They make bubble nests to prove they are happy.

To the orginal poster- if you like it get it, if not, get something else. :) It is suitable for a betta to be happy in.

Mariah......yesterday you didn't even know what temperature to keep bettas at!! And you were housing 2 female bettas in a small tank with goldfish!!!! Your words!!

You must be an expert :lol:

Mariah......yesterday you didn't even know what temperature to keep bettas at!! And you were housing 2 female bettas in a small tank with goldfish!!!! Your words!!

You must be an expert :lol:

You know what, thats a low blow. Not very nice at all. Im giving my opinion and its up to the poster to take it or not. I still stick to my guns and say that tank is fine. Ive had bettas before and they all were fine and still are. I thought this forum was full of people who help people when they have questions. I know what temp bettas are to be kept at, I just needed the range thats all. Im not an expert but you dont have to be rude or sartastic to me about it.

Gosh, I guess questions are not allowed to be asked here.

It wasn't a "low blow"......I want people to keep fish in as good a situation as possible. I have not told the op he couldn't do that tank, but merely suggested that it was small and would require a lot of attention.
If you have kept bettas before then you should know there requirements or have at least done some research first.
We have a load of juvi males in 1 US gallon jars.........they need two 100% water changes daily to keep the levels safe and they are only kept there temporarily. I know because i test the water regularly.

I wish people would stop thinking about how small they can have a tank and put the fishes welfare first! You cant tell me that a 2.5 US gallon divided is better than a 5 gallon divided?

It wasn't a "low blow"......I want people to keep fish in as good a situation as possible. I have not told the op he couldn't do that tank, but merely suggested that it was small and would require a lot of attention.
If you have kept bettas before then you should know there requirements or have at least done some research first.
We have a load of juvi males in 1 US gallon jars.........they need two 100% water changes daily to keep the levels safe and they are only kept there temporarily. I know because i test the water regularly.

I wish people would stop thinking about how small they can have a tank and put the fishes welfare first! You cant tell me that a 2.5 US gallon divided is better than a 5 gallon divided?

My bettas are in tanks with filters and heaters (which are unplugged because my room is very hot). I never said bigger was not better, I said the one gallon would be fine. If you have the space for a five gallon tank, by all means, go ahead and get it.

And no, my bettas are not boring, they are very active and happy to be in a divided 2.5 gallon. I am not harming them in any way. They make bubble nests to prove they are happy.
I'm sure they are very 'active' in that maximum of 4000 cubic centimeters of space to swim you have provided them with ;).
I never accused you of "harming" your bettas btw, wouldn't go that far, you obviously care about the welfare of your fish and can keep them healthy, that's enough for me :). Tbh I really don't care enough to start a discussion aimed at changing peoples opinions on tanks for bettas :hyper: .

Though I do fail to see how bubblenest = happy. I've seen bettas in cups make bubblenests, doesn't mean that that's adequate space. Maybe they are just bored :p.

IMO it's just a generally different style in some areas of fishkeeping that goes on in the US compared to the UK.
Just like how most people keeping predatory fish or even just big fish in the US like to feed their fish feeder goldfish, where it's not a common or accepted practice in the UK - and no shop's sell feeder fish, most say it's illegal.

edit: Lol, while I was typing this thread has taken a turn in the wrong direction, chill peeps :).

I'm sure they are very 'active' in that maximum of 4000 cubic centimeters of space to swim you have provided them with ;).
I never accused you of "harming" your bettas btw, wouldn't go that far, you obviously care about the welfare of your fish and can keep them healthy, that's enough for me :). Tbh I really don't care enough to start a discussion aimed at changing peoples opinions on tanks for bettas :hyper: .

Though I do fail to see how bubblenest = happy. I've seen bettas in cups make bubblenests, doesn't mean that that's adequate space. Maybe they are just bored :p.

IMO it's just a generally different style in some areas of fishkeeping that goes on in the US compared to the UK.
Just like how most people keeping predatory fish or even just big fish in the US like to feed their fish feeder goldfish, where it's not a common or accepted practice in the UK - and no shop's sell feeder fish, most say it's illegal.

edit: Lol, while I was typing this thread has taken a turn in the wrong direction, chill peeps :).

I got the bubble nest= happy thought from this thread

http://www.fishforums.net/content/Bettas/244070/Bubble-Nest/

Not exactly a reliable source ;). No offence meant towards azulfire24 in the slightest, however that was just one unsupported statement on an internet forum :).
I would never use bubble nests as an indicator of anything, bettas do it all the time, often even females do it.

It's like saying that guppies will only breed when they are happy.
Guppies will breed in water conditions where their fry will pretty much immediately die :lol:.

Most reactions

Back