How to store RO water for the aquarium

I pre-batch my changing water so I mix the RO/DI with my tap. But, I need to adjust the parameters of the changing water based on those in the tank at the time. I also add rooibos tea to the changing water and may add muriatic acid to lower the pH. The tank also has almond leaves and alder cones in a bag in the filters. I am lowering both the pH and the TDS below what they are in my tap.

I also have a hand held TDS tester in addition to the continuous digital monitor on the tank. I cannot test my RO/DI water with the continuous monitor it is pretty much all 0s across the board and the equipment is not happy testing that. But I can use the TDS tester and I am reading 0 on that. I know I need to change the RO memberane and.or the DI module when the TDS start to rise. Higher than 10 ppi and I am ready to change something.

Early on in working with wild Altum angels I had my tank at pH 4.2 and The TDS in the 20 ppm range when I received them from the importer. It is extremely difficult to keep newly imported Altums alive. It took me a few tries.

I use 5 55g food grade drums and store them outside where they get sun for about 6hrs a day. I normally have 3 of the drums filled with a mix of RO/Tap and the other 2 with straight RO. Haven't had a single problem with my water quality and my fish are breeding with it.

I'm gonna get a 20mm tarp here soon to cover the drums but even without being covered the water quality has been great. My temp has gone up to 85⁰ but since I have hypancistrus plecos that's right in their ballpark. That's really the only issue for me is temp in the summer but it doesn't usually get higher than 85⁰.

Most reactions

Back