How much do you pay for fish?

Here, I've never paid more than $1.25 for a guppy and $5 for a 3" Chinese algae eater

Looking at these low prices for fish I thought I was buying for a good price is making me wanna cry

I haven’t had to buy a fish in a very hot second but these were vaguely the prices I remember out here in California:

$4-$12 per guppy (Moscow’s have been the most expensive so far)
$10-$20 per Cory catfish
$40 for Chinese algae eater
$25-$60 for a betta
$6 per nirate snail
$10 for an assassin snail

Guppies reproductive habits have really saved my wallet
Dang... Thats really expensive! Especially the snails! Its about $3-$4 for one here... And usually the bettas are $15-$30...

Oh and btw i just paid 2.37 usd for a home bred otocinclus. The breaded says it is hoppei but seriously fish doesn't know this breed spec. But it matches the description of not full line at a tail so macrospilus i guess

Neons are cheap over here in the UK, seen them as low as 99p each. Never kept them myself tho, id always pay the extra £ for cardinals instead 🙂

At one of the LFS that I frequently visit:
Neon Tetra - USD 0.37 each
Cardinal Tetra - USD 0.75 each
Panda Corydoras - USD 1 each.
Discus ( 2" estimation ) - USD 7.50 to 10 each.
Geophagus Sveni (3" ) - USD 19
Blue Ram (2-2.5") - USD 4.50

Common fish are cheap.
Others are not so cheap.

At one of the LFS that I frequently visit:
Neon Tetra - USD 0.37 each
Cardinal Tetra - USD 0.75 each
Panda Corydoras - USD 1 each.
Discus ( 2" estimation ) - USD 7.50 to 10 each.
Geophagus Sveni (3" ) - USD 19
Blue Ram (2-2.5") - USD 4.50

Common fish are cheap.
Others are not so cheap.
That's insanely cheap!! Oh my gosh! What is the name of that store!? Are they good quality?

I remember when we bought neons for 25 cents each, guppies 50cents, that was a long time ago

Last edited:
That's insanely cheap!! Oh my gosh! What is the name of that store!? Are they good quality?

Sorry, I'm from another country. LOL
The quality are ok.
But for common fish, usually the quality won't be so good due too much breeding.

remember when we bought neons for 25 cents each, guppies 50cents, that was a long time ago

Yes, those were the good old time when I was still a teenager in my hometown (the country where I was born).
But the prices have gone up many times now due to inflations.

However, in the country where I'm living now, the prices are still cheap for common fish.
I guess the LFS imported the fish from neighbouring countries fish farms.
And due to our stronger currency, the fish prices still remain low.
But for more unique & rare fish, which they import from the developed countries (like the Europe, Taiwan, etc), the prices are higher.

Sorry, I'm from another country. LOL
The quality are ok.
But for common fish, usually the quality won't be so good due too much breeding.
Oh, you said USD I thought which is the same shortened name we use here

Most reactions

Back