How Fast Will Common Plec Grow?

Ricky Savage

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I just bought a common pleco from my lfs a couple days ago, seems to have a sailfin, its not even 2 inches, how long will it take to grow up to its potential 12 inches?

I just bought a common pleco from my lfs a couple days ago, seems to have a sailfin, its not even 2 inches, how long will it take to grow up to its potential 12 inches?

Fed properly and kept in a good sized tank, It'll grow about 1" a month...
It'll slow down at 8-10" but you'll be looking at about a year.

Possibly a year to 12" - and then slower to it's full size which could be 18"+ depending on species.

nah sorry i cant seem to get a good pic of it, its very seclusive. it looks simalir to the large pic in the first response, just darker, and it definatly has a large sailfin...its only about 1.25 inches right now

A "sailfin" (ie. a gibby) would be creamish colour with black spots at that size. It sounds as if you've most likely got a liposarcus pardalis (common plec), which has a high growth rate. :)

the post did say common plec and not sail fin folks ;)

Keep yer shirt on :rolleyes: It was mentionned twice that he had a "sail fin", and I was only pointing out the difference. In some places people call liposarcus pardalis a "sail fin", so I was trying to help differentiate as the two have different growth rates.

my common plec grew like a weed up to about 7", now he is kind of stuck there, thank God.....

If you have a 10 gal tank... and a common plec - the 2 dont mix :(

He'll be too big for that tank in a few months. If you can - take it back to the shop and swap it for something else smaller ;)

He'll be too big for that tank in a few months. If you can - take it back to the shop and swap it for something else smaller ;)

I was sold 2 plecs by my LFS (Pets at Home) as I wanted something that would keep my glass clean. I found out when I got home that a) I should only have 1 in my tank and B) they'll grow too big for my tank anyway.

I went straight back to the shop and told them this (with the book I read it in) only to be told by an assistant 'that had been keeping fish for 10 years' that they would only grow to a comfortable size of the tank, and that books are only a rough guide.

:blink:

I was sold 2 plecs by my LFS (Pets at Home) as I wanted something that would keep my glass clean. I found out when I got home that a) I should only have 1 in my tank and B ) they'll grow too big for my tank anyway.

I went straight back to the shop and told them this (with the book I read it in) only to be told by an assistant 'that had been keeping fish for 10 years' that they would only grow to a comfortable size of the tank, and that books are only a rough guide.

:blink:
I think it may be time to educate the pets at home staff. Here is a link that may help you.

Practical fishkeeping magazine - Big Fish Project

I've had a quick look for some research papers on stunted fish growth but have failed to find any in my limited time. However, keeping a fish in an undersized tank will eventually lead to deformation and/or premature death. In the same way that the chinese no longer bind girls feet, fish keepers should no longer keep large fish in small tanks.

If they still wont listen to you and think that books are only 'guidelines' then complain to the manager/head office etc until someone takes notice of you!

Whatever happens, return your fish, it was mis-sold and you have every right to your money back.

[edit] Which Pets at home was it?

Most reactions

Back