How do you make beneficial bacteria?

FlareBettaGuy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Since my tank is dirty and cloudy and fluffy stuff is everywhere, I need some beneficial bacteria. Is there any way I can make beneficial bacteria in a different container without fish? Don't ask why, just tell me. Please. Can I just use tap water? How much water do I need? How much gravel do I need? Is there anything I have to add? How long do I have to wait? Thanks!

Just get a couple fish, like neons or mollies, this will cycle your tank and it will house good bacteria sources, but what is this foamy stuff your talking about. sounds like you got an acid problem.

beneficial bacteria is cultured during the cycling process. you can get some bacteria from an established tank from old sponges, gravel, even some of the water. make sure that sponges and gravel stay wet with the water or the bacteria you are trying to transfer will die off.

You could also look into a product by Marineland Labs (www.marineland.com) called Bio-Spira.

Bio Spira is the bacteria you are looking for. If the options previously suggested are not available, try and find the bio spira locally. It can be hard to find because it's a new product, and has to be refrigerated. I can't get it locally, and buy it online at The Fish Store. I get it in 2 days. I have used it 3 times in emergency situations and to start a cichlid tank, all with good results. Bernie's stock at The Fish Store is fresh and usually cheaper including shipping!

I've used it too.. Worked well for me.. I spent 16 USD. for a 1 ounce package.. Only used half on my 16gal tho.. You can't over-dose.

Do you have a filter in the tank? That would help with the cloudyness and also it would house beneficial bacteria in the filter media. What do you have in the tank at the moment? is this your 1g?

You can fishless cycle with amonia. Add pure amonia untill you reach 5ppm then keep adding that amount every day untill amonia reaches zero. Add sponges from establish aquriums into the water to speed things up. Or increase the heat just a little.

YOU just need a large surface area, the filter is ideal as your water will pass through it often, getting cleaned biologically and physically at the same time

your gravel is also a good host for the bacteria, the only downside is the water isnt as effectively passed through it (unless you use under gravel filtration) the smaller your gravel peices, the larger the overall surface area you have, therefore the more room for bacteria to grow.

with good water circulation the bacteria can do their job where 'dirty' water comes into contact with the surfaces of the gravel

Most reactions

Back