1st time I've seen this receiving mail order fish... thoughts on if you think it could really help???

Thought you guys might want to see this...

"Hi Mike,
Those little white chunks are called poly fil, and they are a foam that absorbs any toxins and removes excess ammonia and other detritus materials while in shipping. We have found they work great to alleviate the fish from undue stress along their journey! Let me know if you have any questions and thanks for talking us up in those forums! Have a great weekend!"
Fishing you well!
Chip L
The Wet Spot Tropical Fish®

Online Sales Department

Monday – Friday, 8AM to 5PM PST
Saturday, 8AM to 4PM PST
Sunday, 9AM to 5PM PST

Last edited:
We used to put a spoon of Ammogon (Zeolite) and a small piece of neutral block (pH stabiliser) in bags of fish that had to travel a long time. Then fill the bags with oxygen and put the fish in an esky and send them on their way.

I have never seen the Poly look that sponge-like once it gets wet. When it goes into the bag it is bright white and somewhat compressed. I watch for sales on it and then I buy a whole bunch, I prefer the smaller size as it is actually usually cheaper by the square inch than the larger size.

Also the guy who responded forgot the ter after fil.

shopping

The Poly is also great for rescuing when things go awry in a a tank. When I crashed my 173 tank brcause it was so way overstocked from all the offspring, once I got things to where there were no more dead fish and I had done a couple of huge water changes, I added a filter size piece of Poly to the AquaClears on either end of the tank to insure the water got as healthy as possible.

I also bring Poly with me when I sell at event jik I have any problems.

I am a good shipper. The last fish I lost in transit it was 9 - 10 years ago due to a delay at FedEx which caused it to take closer to 54 hours rather than 20 to reach the buyer. I had only put in hear packs for 30 hours. Fish that can live in water over 90F were in bags that were 60, 60 and 50F. two ere DOA and two more died a few days later. I told the buyer that it was probablt the temp that did them in but since it took a few days I could not rule out something n his end. So I offered to pay for one of the two, He refused to accept the refund from PayPal I sent him.

I am not big on chemical solutions to things in tanks unless there is no other option. Poly Filter is my go to option. But with the 173 disaster I added dechlor which is normally only used when I vend as my well water has no form of chlorine. I keep a bottle of Amquel and a smaller bottle of Prime. I use the Prime at events to detox the hotel water or when I remove plants from tanks to bleach dip the algae and then to return the plant to the tank.

edited to add the letter d to use above

Last edited:
Magnum, How are the Wet Spot fish doing? You’re my Guinea pig before I place an order 🤔

Wet Spot is a pretty good outfit. What many folks do not know is there ia an import/wholesale operation run buy them. This also supplies the retail side. I remember in about 2022 or 3 meeting one of the folks from the store at the NEC weekend event in CT. The store was about 4 years old then and the internet was also pretty young for the public users.

Years later I eneded up with some of the fish from their wholesale operation as a friend sold fish retail and bought from them. The fish I got which originated with the wholesale/import side were healthy. However, I cannot comment on the DOA rate. if any, as my friend was the one who received them before I got them.

But I would assume that the retail side has a better survival rate on the fish they ship since their wholesale operation deals with them first.

One caveat. All my dealing were well over a decade back. I have no idea if they are still doing both sides of the operation or not. I would assume that they are. They are a good size player in things and they do have a very good reputation.

All good so far, they weren’t in individual bags, but with the foam, all were good

Sorry, I wrote that previous post last night, but forgot to send it ( I’ve been sick last night, and today )
They must still sell through a store front, as the have some fish listed for sale, and some for sale online only
IMG_5720.png

Most reactions

Back