How Do You Introduce Fish to your Tank?

Hey!

Your acclimation routine sounds pretty thorough. It's true, getting lazy with the 'dump everything' move doesn't usually end well. I haven't tried the "Cut, Pour, Plop" method, but sounds intriguing, especially for local pickups. I'm all about the slow acclimation process, but it's cool to learn about different approaches. How's the "Cut, Pour, Plop" been working out for you?

Hey!

Your acclimation routine sounds pretty thorough. It's true, getting lazy with the 'dump everything' move doesn't usually end well. I haven't tried the "Cut, Pour, Plop" method, but sounds intriguing, especially for local pickups. I'm all about the slow acclimation process, but it's cool to learn about different approaches. How's the "Cut, Pour, Plop" been working out for you?
I haven't used it yet- just read about it a few days back (see original post for link). The most important thing seems to be that when fish is shipped, one must use the "cut, pour, plop" method to avoid the ammonia that is somehow locked during shipment but comes out when the acclimation process starts (article explains it well, and a few posters above reference it). I never knew this issue existed.

I always used the method that is usually indicated here in Brazil:
  1. Let the bag float to equalize the temperature for about 10-15 minutes;
  2. Cut the bag's top and start to add aquarium water every 5 minutes, until the bag's water volume triples from its original volume;
  3. Do not use the water from the bag. Use a net and put the fish in the aquarium;
There are some variations in time intervals, also, I already substituted adding water directly for dripping by using a small hose attached to an air divider with a control valve (I used to suck with my mouth, to siphonate the water). This method I used when I was acclimating my Neocaridina davidi var. red. Most of the time, when I buy several fish, a few days later, some appear dead. For these reasons, I abandoned the fish and went to nano shrimps. However, Betta splendens is a very hardy fish, so this fish never caused me some kind of headache with the acclimation process.

I confess that I was shocked by these reports since I never saw anything close to this in Brazilian forums about fishkeeping. It is better to take a look at these studies.

For corydoras, since they have issues with self poisoning, my goal is to get them out of the bag ASAP. I pour the bag into a plastic collander and right into the tank they go.

Most reactions

Back