Experience with shipped fish?

mrseigel

Reaction score
I don't know if it's just me but a lot of people have reported positive experiences with shipped fish. I have had nothing but bad experiences. I have ordered shipped fish 3 times. The first time it wiped out my entire aquarium. The second time 50% of the shipped fish died. And the third time about 1/3rd have died so far after 2 days. I used Aquatic Arts and Aqua Huna. I tried the drip acclimation method the first two times and plop and drop this last time. My quarantine tank is fully cycled and been running for 3 months. Any thoughts?

I had great success with Dan’s Fish and mix results from Aqua Huna. I had 20 neocaridina and 6 yellow tiger endlers shipped from Aquatic Arts. All arrived alive and are still living 5 weeks from arrival.

Anyone ever buy from eBay? I'm thinking of getting a betta that way.

I purchased some very nice Endler's off eBay with good results. That was back when you could read the narratives from confirmed customer feedback. If I decided to do it again, I would have a conversation with the seller before I purchased. If he doesn't have time for that, then no chance of a deal with me. A betta seems like a fish you could find locally. If not then a reputable online vender.

Can't remember the name of the outfit but the only fish I've had shipped is my rope and it came in fine and is doing well. Sadly I no longer have a site link to offer.

I strongly suggest Dan's Fish, Even though I've never had fish shipped from them all my fish are from them except for my rope. Just so happens that their warehouse is like a 3 minute from my apartment.

While I have no personal experience with them WetSpot has a really good reputation.

Like all auction houses it isn't the company that holds the auction (consider buy it now and fixed prices as auction); it is the SELLER. I have purchased from ebay from reliable sellers multiple times without issues; however if you get a dim wit idiot seller expect problems.

i bought 20 assorted shrimp from this seller on eBay called PVN aquatics, and the whole transaction went very well. i only had 1 DOA but they shipped 2 extra anyway so i technically got one free

here’s their eBay page:

(they have bettas for sale too i believe)

i think the main thing that screws people over from buying off eBay is not looking at the sellers reviews/rating before purchasing. for example PVN has 96% positive feedback which is super good, and their customer service is good too. (shipping wasn’t too too expensive and it arrived in 2 days i think)

(i don’t know why it says that about an eBay associate at the end of my post lol)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Freshwaterexotics:

They were great, very dialed in on how and when they would ship their fish. Packaging was excellent and all my fish arrived within 20hrs and above 70⁰. I've ordered from them twice. I've had fish die after they were in my tank from both batches after a few weeks but they were all wild caught and that's always a risk. Would recommend.

Predatoryfins:

Owner communicated with me via text messages. Sent me multiple pics of 6 different Luteus plecos so I coukd choose. Fish arrived in under 20hrs, above 70⁰ and packaging was excellent. His fish was super healthy and ate right away and i havent had a single issue to this day. His communication won me over, and I would highly recommend him to anyone.

Band app:

Lot of high quality sellers and breeders around the world on there. I have personally ordered fish from a few of them with great results. There are some well known breeders on band.

Here on the forums:

I just got a shipment of fish from @TwoTankAmin and they arrived very well packaged, 73.4⁰ and seem to be doing just fine. He custom made the box to ship the fish in and it was a beaut. His communication was and is awesome, I can't say enough nice things about Chris. One of the more knowledgeable people I have ran into and is more than willing to help.

I would suggest only buying from the most reputable fishkeepers with lots of shipping experience and positive reviews. I sift heavily through reviews for anything I'm gonna purchase and even moreso with fish.

I don't know if it's just me but a lot of people have reported positive experiences with shipped fish. I have had nothing but bad experiences. I have ordered shipped fish 3 times. The first time it wiped out my entire aquarium. The second time 50% of the shipped fish died. And the third time about 1/3rd have died so far after 2 days. I used Aquatic Arts and Aqua Huna. I tried the drip acclimation method the first two times and plop and drop this last time. My quarantine tank is fully cycled and been running for 3 months. Any thoughts?
This so infuriating. Now I have 2/6 forktail rainbowfish left. 3 more died today after a small 2 gallon water change in my 10g quarantine tank. I've probably had 30+ fish so far this year with ~10 surviving. Not sure how you all deal with it but fish keeping is just too stressful for me and doesn't seem worth it at this point.

Last edited:
I will only use Flip Aquatics for online after having a couple of bad experiences elsewhere. They are always in exceptional condition. Shipping (overnight) is a bit high unless you spend $100, but I've lost more trying to save a few dollars. I'm sure there are others, but no need to look elsewhere for me unless there was some rare specialty fish I was looking for. Unfortunately the LFS here is worse than the petco.

Unfortunately I can only mail order…some sellers are terrible, Dan’s is one of, or is the best

Can't remember the name of the outfit but the only fish I've had shipped is my rope and it came in fine and is doing well. Sadly I no longer have a site link to offer.

I strongly suggest Dan's Fish, Even though I've never had fish shipped from them all my fish are from them except for my rope. Just so happens that their warehouse is like a 3 minute from my apartment.

While I have no personal experience with them WetSpot has a really good reputation.
I've had them shipped from Dan's Fish and it went great. 100% survival rate. Customer service was top notch.

This so infuriating. Now I have 2/6 forktail rainbowfish left. 3 more died today after a small 2 gallon water change in my 10g quarantine tank. I've probably had 30+ fish so far this year with ~10 surviving. Not sure how you all deal with it but fish keeping is just too stressful for me and doesn't seem worth it at this point.
Start a new thread asking for help with sick fish or post info here about them.

Post pictures and video of the fish. Upload videos to YouTube then copy & paste the link here.

If fish die straight after a water change, it's usually chlorine/ chloramine poisoning. Double dose the aquarium with dechlorinater and increase aeration/ surface turbulence. Rainbowfish are sensitive to chemicals.
Make sure you dechlorinate tap water before adding it to the aquarium.

If rainbowfish get sick add salt. See directions below.

---------------------

SALT
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), swimming pool salt, or any non iodised salt (sodium chloride) to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres (5 gallons) of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, Bettas & gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria, fish, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

When you first add salt, add the salt to a small bucket of tank water and dissolve the salt. Then slowly pour the salt water into the tank near the filter outlet. Add the salt over a couple of minutes.

Actually what Collin said about the bacteria and salt is not quite accurate. I am just not sure on the time lines. What I do know is when Dr. Hovanec was doing his research into the specific nitrifying bacteria found in established tanks and then in subsequent research by others is that the diversity of the ammonia oxidizing bacteria is much greater in FW than in salt water.

One of the things that Se, H et. al. did in their research was to convert cycled FW tanks to SW to see what would happen. And what they discovered was there are more different strains of ammonia oxidizers in FW.

There is one major difference between fresh and salt water fish when it comes to cycling issues and that has to do with nitrite. For those who may have read te Fish in cycle gone wild rescue articles here, they know that the way to combat nitrite is not with water changes but whith chloride in the water. The easiest and most economical way to get chloride into fresh water is to add salt. This is normally a short term period of time that minimal levels of salt must be added.

But salt water fish live in chloride from salt all the time. So for them nitrite is rarely a problem. About the only time fishkeepers will see nitrite in water which can harm fish is during cycling. But for the saltwater fish it wont be a big deal the way it can be for the FW fish.

I cannot say for sure that two weeks of salt being added to a FW tank will cause some of the bacterial strains present to die back. But they should be replaced by other strains which have no issue with salt multiplying to replace them. I am not certain there will be an ammonia spike as the transition is ongoing. I just know that it happens. This is because I am not a keeper of salt water or brackish fish.

Grommen, R., Dauw, L. and Verstraete, W. (2005), Elevated salinity selects for a less diverse ammonia-oxidizing population in aquarium biofilters. FEMS Microbiology Ecology, 52: 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.femsec.2004.10.001

Abstract​

The activity and changes in the structure of the community of the ammonia-oxidizing bacteria belonging to the Betaproteobacteria were monitored in freshwater and artificial seawater biofilters for two months after inoculation with a commercial nitrifying consortium. Both in freshwater and artificial seawater, ammonium oxidation proceeded immediately after addition of the inoculum, although initial activity in artificial seawater was lower than in freshwater. Denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis of the ammonia-oxidizing bacterial community of the inoculum and the freshwater and the artificial seawater aquaria as a function of time showed that initially only one dominant ammonia-oxidizer, closely related to Nitrosomonas marina, was detectable in all the systems. The fingerprint of the ammonia-oxidizing bacterial community in the artificial seawater biofilters continued to be dominated by this single band. In the freshwater aquaria, in contrast, the composition of the ammonia-oxidizer community became more diverse after one month, with 4–7 new bands appearing in the denaturing gradient gel fingerprint. Since the inoculum is cultivated at an average salinity of 11 g l−1, it is argued that the elevated salinity selects for a less diverse ammonia-oxidizer community in the inoculum and the artificial seawater aquaria.
full paper here https://academic.oup.com/femsec/article/52/1/1/481716

Most reactions

Back