How Do You Ammonia/Nitrite Test?

poindexter

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have read a lot of posts in here that say you MUST test for ammonia and nitrite but I havent been able to find out how i go about doing this?? help!! ~sarah :sad:

You have to buy ammonia and nitrite tests from your LFS. There are strip and liquid tests. Liquid tests tend to be more expensive, but also more accurate. :) They also sell test kits that contain most of the necessary tests like ammonia, nitrite, pH, and so on. I also recommend getting a nitrate test.

Thank you so much!!!! After reading about how important it is i cant believe that they didnt suggest getting one when i got my 20gal kit at the LFS. :* ~sarah

Hey, all. While we're on the subject of test kits, can anyone recommend a particualrly good, easy to read liquid kit? I bought one that was simply labeled Freshwater Master test kit (I'd tell you who made it, but I'm at work right now and can't reference it :shifty: ). My biggest complaint with it, is that the test results are not easy to read really. All the colors on the the reference charts only show a slight varience between each other as the scale progresses. For example I was testing my nitrites yesterday because they've been spiking lately (yay, my tank is finally starting to recycle itself) and I found myself squinting at the results and saying "Is that a dark purple (not good) or violet (very bad) color?" Needless to say I did a water change anyway, but it definitely leads to frustration on my part. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Hi poindexter, test kits are absolutely vital to know whats going on in your tank. If you can afford a master kit or even a basic master kit with the main 3 (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) its cheaper than buying all the tests separately. Other tests like PH, GH, KH can be added later to fine tune your tank. Everytime a fish may look sick or is acting strange water tests should be done before using any medications. Laughncat, I agree some of the colours in the charts are very close but I think the main thing is that 0ppm reading should be clear to read and not simular to any other colour. For example ammonia should only ever be crystal clear, anything else and its too high. Nitrite should only ever be light blue and nothing else. This is my test negative colours and the only colours I,m really interested in anyway. Anything else is not acceptable. (Test colours may vary from brand to brand).

Most reactions

Back