Hi, Urgent Clown Loach Problem!

Don't buy the strip cards they are a complete waste of money because they are not accurate readings.
Liquid test kits are the best.

Once fish stop eating bad news.
Soak his food in garlic juice as it boost the fish immune system, and stimulates appitite.

Hi
what other fish are in with the sick Clown loach? I thought it was by itself?

Its not really a good idea to add any fish to a tank which contains a sick fish. And please take the advice already given that Clown Loaches are way too big to keep in a 2ft tank. They can attain 12-16 inches in length. This was the 1st clown loach site i found on google <a href="http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile13.html" target="_blank">http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile13.html</a> Its basic but gives you an idea of their requiremments.

Oh....the api liquid test kit will last you ages. With just one tank doing checks every other week, it will last you best part of a year.

Oh....one more thing. You said you got a new heater because you couldn't tell what temperature it was?? Have you got a thermometer in the tank? If not you really need to get one asap. The readouts on the heaters are just a guide and can be be 4 degrees or more out.

Don't buy the strip cards they are a complete waste of money because they are not accurate readings.
Liquid test kits are the best.

Once fish stop eating bad news.
Soak his food in garlic juice as it boost the fish immune system, and stimulates appitite.

Hmm well i'll have to consult my mum again and try to convince her to let me get the api thing because she has an ebay account not me =/

and garlic juice :S? that dont sound to good to put in a fish tank lol

Hi
what other fish are in with the sick Clown loach? I thought it was by itself?

Its not really a good idea to add any fish to a tank which contains a sick fish. And please take the advice already given that Clown Loaches are way too big to keep in a 2ft tank. They can attain 12-16 inches in length. This was the 1st clown loach site i found on google <a href="http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile13.html" target="_blank">http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile13.html</a> Its basic but gives you an idea of their requiremments.

Oh....the api liquid test kit will last you ages. With just one tank doing checks every other week, it will last you best part of a year.

Oh....one more thing. You said you got a new heater because you couldn't tell what temperature it was?? Have you got a thermometer in the tank? If not you really need to get one asap. The readouts on the heaters are just a guide and can be be 4 degrees or more out.

i added another little like 1.5cm clown loach so that atleast it would have some sort of company =/ and it is doing fine and is more active than my big clown loach
and yea my mum said i'm allowed to get a new fish tank aslong as i can sell my PC, desk, and other stuff.

And im presuming that with the liquid test if i have 2 tanks i can just fill a bucket with water and do the tests on it so i have enough water to put in both tanks? or will i have to do a seperate reading for my tank already set up??
and my heater has the degrees on it now :) and i have one of those stickers on the side of the tank but that doesn't work

Hi

The degree readings on heaters can be way out. I have heaters that are set to 24 degrees but actually heats the water to 27 degrees. So if yours is set for the optimum temperature it may be that the water temp is higher or lower. Glass thermometers are only cheap :good:

With regards the dechlorinator - You use the dechlorinator on water in the bucket before putting it in your tank, if you have a shop called The Range near you, they do some cheap dechlorinator. To get the right temperature, use cold water and boiled water from the kettle and use the thermometer from your tank to get the temp right :good:

The test kits - I would suggest that you test for Ammonia and NitrItes to start with. If you are doing regular water changes your NitrAtes should be kept under control. Dont get confused between nitrItes and nitrAtes, nitr"I"tes are bad (like ammonia) and should be zero. nitr"A"tes you may find are up around 20-40 on the test kit, but this is fine as long as you do small weekly water changes. The other test you get in the kit is for ph, but i wouldn't start playing around with the ph as it is very easy to get it wrong. You get little test tubes with the kit that you just fill up with tank water to the line. You then just follow the instructions for each test. Just a warning - never let any of the testing solutions get in your tank and always rinse the tubes out in the sink afterwards.

Test once a week unless you have a problem. If your ammonia or nitrIte tests show anything but zero do a 25% water change and retest after 24 hrs.

Although books do go out of date, the basics have never changed i.e. temperature, dechlorinating, testing etc etc

Hi

The degree readings on heaters can be way out. I have heaters that are set to 24 degrees but actually heats the water to 27 degrees. So if yours is set for the optimum temperature it may be that the water temp is higher or lower. Glass thermometers are only cheap :good:

With regards the dechlorinator - You use the dechlorinator on water in the bucket before putting it in your tank, if you have a shop called The Range near you, they do some cheap dechlorinator. To get the right temperature, use cold water and boiled water from the kettle and use the thermometer from your tank to get the temp right :good:

The test kits - I would suggest that you test for Ammonia and NitrItes to start with. If you are doing regular water changes your NitrAtes should be kept under control. Dont get confused between nitrItes and nitrAtes, nitr"I"tes are bad (like ammonia) and should be zero. nitr"A"tes you may find are up around 20-40 on the test kit, but this is fine as long as you do small weekly water changes. The other test you get in the kit is for ph, but i wouldn't start playing around with the ph as it is very easy to get it wrong. You get little test tubes with the kit that you just fill up with tank water to the line. You then just follow the instructions for each test. Just a warning - never let any of the testing solutions get in your tank and always rinse the tubes out in the sink afterwards.

Test once a week unless you have a problem. If your ammonia or nitrIte tests show anything but zero do a 25% water change and retest after 24 hrs.

Although books do go out of date, the basics have never changed i.e. temperature, dechlorinating, testing etc etc

cool :) nice one whenever i get to buying them i'll have another read over this to make sure im doing it right and if i boiled kettle water to heat it up that would be putting chlorinated water back into the water that i just left over night to lose the chlorine? lol

Hi

I'll try and be brief :)

If you leave water standing, it may remove the Chlorine but it will not remove Chloromines which are found in most water sources and are harmful to fish.

The simplest way to do a water change is -

1. Turn off heater and filter
2. Siphon a bucket of water from your tank and pour it down the drain.
3. Make a note of the temperature of your tank water.
4. Fill 3/4 of the bucket up with cold water from the tap.
5. Add a kettle of boiled water, and put the kettle back on.
6. Then add more cold or more boiled until the temperature of the water in the bucket is pretty much the same as the tank water.
7. When the temperature is the same, add the correct amount of dechlorinator to the bucket.
8. Stir it a bit.
9. Slowly add the water to your tank.
10. Turn heater and filter back on.
11. Make your Mum a cup of tea with the kettle you put back on at 5.

:D :D :D

Hi

I'll try and be brief :)

If you leave water standing, it may remove the Chlorine but it will not remove Chloromines which are found in most water sources and are harmful to fish.

The simplest way to do a water change is -

1. Turn off heater and filter
2. Siphon a bucket of water from your tank and pour it down the drain.
3. Make a note of the temperature of your tank water.
4. Fill 3/4 of the bucket up with cold water from the tap.
5. Add a kettle of boiled water, and put the kettle back on.
6. Then add more cold or more boiled until the temperature of the water in the bucket is pretty much the same as the tank water.
7. When the temperature is the same, add the correct amount of dechlorinator to the bucket.
8. Stir it a bit.
9. Slowly add the water to your tank.
10. Turn heater and filter back on.
11. Make your Mum a cup of tea with the kettle you put back on at 5.

:D :D :D

haha yea she'd like that but i'm not sure i trust my self with all these chemicals and my fish haha is the chloramine really that bad? because i've kept fish for years and they dont seem to have problems with the chlorine/chloramine
but if i stumble across it then i'll be sure to use it and read the instructions :p

The simple answer -

YES it is bad for fish. Take a look on google or the pinned topics on this site.

You may have had fish for years but you just lost 5 out of 6 recently? Clown loaches can live well into their 20's.

You've been given loads and loads of advice from various people about water quality, dechlorination, stocking levels, big fish in little tanks etc etc.....You have really got to start acting on that advice for the sake of your fish

This appears to be a good Clown loach site http://www.loaches.com/species-index/clown...ia-macracanthus

As yours appear to have died so young, you must consider what you are doing. It may be hard to take, but unfortunately keeping 6 in a 2ft tank and not using any dechlorinator etc, probably caused them to die i'm afraid :(

maybe but atleast i know now :)

Also i tricked my biggest loach tonight, i turned the lights off but left my computer screen on so there was enough light so i could see in the tank and he came out and was swimming round and took a bit of interest in the food not a lot and then was like scratching himself on the gravel?

i'm pretty sure someone said this was a disease but i dont remember which one? and which medicine is for that?

p.s

it was hilarious i wish i could have filmed it he stole the algae wafer off my 1.5cm loach who then came behind him and scared him ahah :) was rather amusing :)

Most reactions

Back