Help!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I double checked on the kanaplex and they don't have it. I checked Petco, Petsmart, and my LFS and they don't have Furan-2 :( I tried calling Pet Supplies Plus but they aren't picking up. Unfortunately they are all really low on fish medications

I know he's not going to be around much longer and although I really really don't want to loose him I know there's not much I can do to help him at this point. I hate to see him suffer. He's just on his side breathing heavily and refusing to move. :-(

Attachments

• 2020-08-15 12.07.00.jpg
    2020-08-15 12.07.00.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 64
Is there any way to humanely euthanize him? I know he's suffering and not going to make it but I can't bear to see him thrashing around in pain. :-(

The only way I will euthanize a fish is with clove oil. IMO, all other means are crueler than just letting nature take its course. If you need help with Clove oil method, let me know. I’m so sorry.

Is there any way to humanely euthanize him? I know he's suffering and not going to make it but I can't bear to see him thrashing around in pain. :-(
Clove oil is a humane way to euthanise him. You just mix some with warm water, add it to a container with water from his tank (use a container you can bin afterwards, you don't want clove oil near your tanks or equipment). Then move him into that container with the clove oil in it. Swimming in the clove oil mixture will gradually sedate him, and then you add in more clove oil/warm water to overdose him and put him down. It's the same sort of method that a vet would use to put down a mammal, sedation then overdose, so they don't suffer. I have used this method, and it does work and seems peaceful.
You can get clove oil from most chemists, pharmacies, or some health stores, since it's often used by people for toothache.

Alternatively, I've also folded a piece of paper towel, placed the guppy on that and folded the paper towel over them then hit the head hard with a heavy object. Not fun or easy to do, but it is instantaneous, which to me seems kinder than a drawn out, painful death gasping. I prefer clove oil, but I used the other method when I didn't have any, it was late at night and the fish was clearly suffering and beyond saving.

I know nothing about a baking soda method either, but I'd be wary of the idea. Baking soda is very alkaline, and I assume it would hurt the fish.

Poor little guppy. I wish he didn't have to go. He is breathing really slowly now. :-(

Attachments

• 20200815_122919.jpg
    20200815_122919.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 47
I couldn't bring myself to squish him. I don't think he will be around long enough for me to go to the store and get clove oil. :(

Poor little guppy. I wish he didn't have to go. He is breathing really slowly now. :-(
See if you can go get some clove oil. You can always call your nearest Walgreens or whatever chemists are available there and ask if they have clove oil in stock. It's not expensive, and it won't hurt to have it on hand in case something like this happens again.

As creatures die, including humans, natural endorphins kick in to take away pain. Just let him go on his own if he is close.

Most reactions

Back