Help with health of plants?

I don't live far from you so I know you have soft water - back in 2010 it was 3 dH but as mine has increased a bit since then yours probably has too but not by much. 2010 was the last time Northumbrian Water had a hardness table for the whole region on its website and I downloaded it :)

Got a reply from Northumbrian Water! Well, first they had to clarify what I meant by GH and KH, which was reassuring :rolleyes: but once I explained they came back with:

Total Hardness: 33mg/l Ca
Calcium carbonate CaCO3: 82.5 mg/l

I believe I'm best off converting these into °H for the purposes of checking what I could stock my tank with, is that correct? Would anyone be able to advise how to go about this conversion? Google was decidedly unhelpful!

Calcium carbonate CaCO3 is the same as ppm, you need to that as it's one of the two units used in fish keeping. It can be converted to dH by using the calculator on here https://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm
You have soft water :)

It's reassuring to know they can actually give you a number. Up until last year Northumbrian Water and Essex & Suffolk Water (owned by the same company) gave the hardness in numbers on their websites, then they upgraded their websites and changed it to just words.

I knew you'd have soft water in Bishop Auckland, it was just a question of how soft. It's good that NW gave you a number.

When researching fish, you need your hardness in both dH and ppm as some profiles use one while others use the other.

82.5 ppm and 4.6 dH.

Most reactions

Back