Help plssss

Noon

Reaction score
Hi all and thanks for recent help.

Out of the 6 Tetras i first put in the tank only two remain, and dont look to good :-(

I added the fish after only running the tank for a week. Should i have waited longer?

I have done as instructed. Declorenated the water. And tested it on the PH Nitrate GH, Amonia.

What should i do? should i wait to add further fish? or did i buy ill fish?

Thanks

Noon said:
Hi all and thanks for recent help.

Out of the 6 Tetras i first put in the tank only two remain, and dont look to good :-(

I added the fish after only running the tank for a week. Should i have waited longer?

I have done as instructed. Declorenated the water. And tested it on the PH Nitrate GH, Amonia.

What should i do? should i wait to add further fish? or did i buy ill fish?

Thanks
how long ago did you get the tank? how big is the tank? did you let the tank cycle for like 6 months? i wouldnt get more fish just yet!

Hi,

i have a 20gl tank and it has had water in it for only 1 week before adding fish - what is that recomended time?

Also the Ph of the tank is 7.4 is this to high for tetras?

Noon, it sounds like your tank is cycling. if the Tetras are Neons i can see why they died; Neons are very sensitive fish. Characins are not the hardiest of cycling fish.

what you need to do is remove the fish you have now and perhaps return them, or keep them in a gallon glass bowl with gravel and silk plants. get an Ammonia test kit, as well as Nitrite and Nitrate test kits. buy PURE ammonia, or if you can't get ahold of it use the product Cycle and fish food.

you see, pet stores tell you to let the water sit and age. really, you need to get the bacteria in the gravel going. fish poo doesn't dissolve itself! Ammonia-eaters dissolve it, producing Nitrite, and in turn Nitrite-eaters eat the Ammonia-eaters poo, turning it into Nitrate. Nitrates are safe in low numbers, but nothing eats them other than live plants. this is the cycle; waking up the bacteria and making them multiply to fit your fish tank. you can accomplish this by adding pure Ammonia or Cycle and fish food. both take about the same amount of time. what you would do is dose the tank each day with the proper amounts of Ammonia/Cycle+fish food, then test the water. once a day is impracticle, every two or three days is good. when Ammonia and Nitrite are zero you can add your fish back, then slowly add more!

as for the bowled fish, you'd need to change their water weekly and still care for them as you would any other fish. put them under a bright desk lamp during the day, and at night wrap them in towels or soft, fleece blankets. when you introduce them back into your tank, you can use the bowl for a small Killifish or a Betta, so it doesn't have to go to waste!

i hope this doesn't discourage you from this wonderful pasttime and hobby. the outcome is great; imagine yourself in two months staring at a small, underwater world that you created. it's even better if you give the community spunk; some active schoolers, some shy night scavengers, a semi-agressive loner, and live-bearers all make a community seem complete.

This should be in the beginnings forums. Becasue I keep welcoming people here. Oh well, welcome again!

go to the beginners section of the forum. look at the pinned articles at the top, they will tell you about new tank syndrome and give you links to instructions on how to properly cycle your tank (it doesn't have to tank 6 months by the way, can be accomplished, if done right, in just a couple weeks even).
read read read
oh, and welcome to the forum by the way!!!! :)

Some times just reading about your local fish stores helps i found out that thers fish stores around me that put copper in the water to keep their fish alive. I found a fish store i like the quarenteen all their fish for 4-6 weeks and they buy fish brom breeders. I was planing on selling my fan tail at their store.

Most reactions

Back