help needed

Buddyrhea

Reaction score
I am a new to having a fresh water fish tank. My fish are not acting right and several have died and I’m not sure why. Seeking advice

I have a 20 gallon fresh water tank with a Topfin Silentstream 20 power filter. I have had the tank for about 10 weeks. Up until a couple weeks ago all seemed well. Perimeters within normal limits. At about 6 weeks I changed the filter cartridge and it went down hill from there. I started developing foggy water that then turned green. I tried treating with Tetra algae control but my fish didn’t tolerate it well and it really didn’t seem to help much.

Thinking I disrupted the cycle when I changed the filter I added Tetra start, a prefilter sponge and Fluval biomax filter media to the filter. I knew that wouldn’t help immediately but might prevent it next time I change the filter. I was told I had a little ammonia when I took a sample to the pet store and was told to use ammolock. I’ve done multiple water changed and added stress zyme, stress coat and ammo lock each time. I purchased tetra easy strips to test the water. My ammonia levels have decreased some over the last couple weeks, but is still present. I read that the ammonia level will continue to read high because the ammo lock inactivated it, doesn’t get rid of it. My perimeters are as follows.
Ammonia 0.5-1.0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0-20
pH 7.2
Total alkalinity 80-120
Temp 77-78
Chlorine 0
I have lost 3 Guppies and my red tail shark who has been vertical at the top of the tank for weeks is nearly dead, mostly floating. I have 4 glow fish. None are acting right, but one is worse, mostly lays in the bottom of the tank. I also have a loach who seems fine most of the time. A tiny bottle nose algae eater that mostly hides and 2 African frogs.
I’ve been fighting this for several weeks and do not know what else to do. I’m wondering if they have a sickness or is the ammolock not getting rid of the ammonia? I have been doing water changes and vacuuming my gravel at least 2x per week. I’ve also started keeping the light off except 7-8 hours a day. Still have green water that gets worse between water changes. Do I need a better filter. Am I over treating?

Any advice appreciated. I hate seeing my fish die.
D7A8AC8B-4359-4429-B1E8-4D9242B9ACA5.jpeg
97AB9BF0-14F3-4F1A-94AF-336A2176C10B.jpeg
A6DAF7A9-6095-4D8B-A4FD-A73B728C54AC.jpeg

Do a 75% water change. Your ammonia is too high.

The green water would be caused by too many nutrients in the water. What is your water change schedule? Do at least 50% every week

I am not going to guess at what this is, someone will be along. In the interim, do an immediate water change, 75% of the tank volume, and add only conditioner to the fresh water. Clean into the gravel thoroughly as you siphon out the water.

Never use chemical compounds to deal with issues like algae.

Get rid of the ammo lock its killing your beneficial bacteria by starving it.

Ammolock does not get rid of the ammonia. It only temporarily makes it not toxic. After 36 hours it goes back to its toxic form and can kill your fish

Never change your filter until it is literally falling apart. You probably lost your cycle by tossing out the beneficial bacteria in the filter media. Most of my filter cartridges are about 2 years old. Ignore what the manufacturer says.

Do the 75% water change and good vacuuming of the gravel and use conditioner on the new water. With you filter it is better to have sponge filters so I would keep the sponge and remove the other packets and replace with sponge filter. Right now you have a chemical mix in your water which is doing more harm than good. It appears you may have to recycle your tank. The only thing I would consider adding to your tank is tetra safestart plus to help jump start your tank if that is the case.

It appears you have all plastic plants, I would suggest picking up some live fast growing floating plants like water sprite and anacharis which will help absorb ammonai and help improve the quality of your water.

The green water would be caused by too many nutrients in the water. What is your water change schedule? Do at least 50% every week
I was performing a 25% water change once a week before all the trouble started. Now I’m doing it 2-3x per week when I notice the fish getting sluggish again. I siphon the gravel each time and it normally has a good deal of debris.

Do the 75% water change and good vacuuming of the gravel and use conditioner on the new water. With you filter it is better to have sponge filters so I would keep the sponge and remove the other packets and replace with sponge filter. Right now you have a chemical mix in your water which is doing more harm than good. It appears you may have to recycle your tank. The only thing I would consider adding to your tank is tetra safestart plus to help jump start your tank if that is the case.
Thank you for the advice. I have been adding stress zyme with my water changes is that similar to the safe start?

It appears you have all plastic plants, I would suggest picking up some live fast growing floating plants like water sprite and anacharis which will help absorb ammonai and help improve the quality of your water.
Thank you! I’ll have to try adding some of those.

Thank you for the advice. I have been adding stress zyme with my water changes is that similar to the safe start?
No, safe start is the beneficial bacteria that eat the ammonia. Stress zymere is alone vera water conditioner. I would reccomend stopping use of this and using API water conditioner

Alone vera damages fish gills over time so best not to use it

No, safestart plus has the correct bacteria that deals with the ammonia in your tank. One large 50% water change a week is better than several smaller ones. You are flushing out the system much better with a large water change.

Alone vera damages fish gills over time so best not to use it
Oh. The products are very confusing. The stress zyme states it “contains millions of live bacteria” that “help boost the natural aquarium cycle” and to use weekly. So I thought contained live bacteria. Is there a site that breaks down these products and when to actually use them? I have some safe start, so I’ll do a water change and add that. Is water changes the only way to get you ammonia down?

Most reactions

Back