help needed

Oh. The products are very confusing. The stress zyme states it “contains millions of live bacteria” that “help boost the natural aquarium cycle” and to use weekly. So I thought contained live bacteria. Is there a site that breaks down these products and when to actually use them? I have some safe start, so I’ll do a water change and add that. Is water changes the only way to get you ammonia down?
Hmmm. I thought stress zyme was something else. Let me research it I'll get back to you

The names are confusing us here...Stress Zyme is a bacterial supplement. Stress Coat is the conditioner with aloe vera to gum up the fish's gills. Don't use Stress Coat. Stress Zyme probably cannot hurt in a new tank if you don't have the Tetra Safe Start, but I certainly would not continue adding this regularly as they recommend.

Yup that's what it looks like, my bad. Sorry!

The names are confusing us here...Stress Zyme is a bacterial supplement. Stress Coat is the conditioner with aloe vera to gum up the fish's gills. Don't use Stress Coat. Stress Zyme probably cannot hurt in a new tank if you don't have the Tetra Safe Start, but I certainly would not continue adding this regularly as they recommend.
Sorry for the confusion. I have been adding stress zyme, stress coat and ammo lock with my water changes. I was adding stress zyme to try to promote good bacteria, stress coat to remove chlorine from the fresh water I was adding and ammolock because I still had detectable ammonia levels. Sounds like maybe I’ve been adding too much crap

Sorry for the confusion. I have been adding stress zyme, stress coat and ammo lock with my water changes. I was adding stress zyme to try to promote good bacteria, stress coat to remove chlorine from the fresh water I was adding and ammolock because I still had detectable ammonia levels. Sounds like maybe I’ve been adding too much crap
Definitely dont do the ammolock. It only temporarily makes ammonia not toxic. It's annoying how many products are marketed that are not needed and do more harm than good

Add some aracharis, water sprite, hornwort, pennywort or frog bit just to name a few live plants to your tank, get rid of the chemicals except your water conditioner and use tetra safstart plus to help jump start your cycling. In the long run these chemicals do more harm than good for your fish.

Add some aracharis, water sprite, hornwort, pennywort or frog bit just to name a few live plants to your tank, get rid of the chemicals except your water conditioner and use tetra safstart plus to help jump start your cycling. In the long run these chemicals do more harm than good for your fish.
Ok. Thank you so much for the advice! Maybe I can save the rest of my fish!

Looking on API's website, Stress Zyme does not contain 'filter bacteria' but bacteria to 'reduce sludge in the gravel'. The word cycle doesn't seem to mean the nitrogen cycle. API themselves call it "STRESS ZYME bacterial cleaner" with 'cleaner' being the operative word.

In other words, it is bacteria which break down fish poo, uneaten food etc in the tank's substrate, not bacteria which remove ammonia and nitrite from the water.

Once again I posted without doing a check but relying on my memory, I really should know better (being serious, not humourous). Essjay is right...I have previously recommended against using this product Stress Zyme because of the wild claims they make.

It is sometimes surprising that a highly reputable company like API can make what is in my view the absolute best Tap Water Conditioner and then also produce products like Stress Coat and Stress Zyme which frankly should never be used in a tank with fish. Seachem are the same; highly reputable products but a few questionable if not downright dangerous products as well.

Most reactions

Back