Heater Help

MarchHare

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Checking my usual "amazing" supplier, I find the reviews for aquarium heaters a bit disturbing.
20- 25% of reviewers for most brands show malfunctions.
My old Eheim Jagers always seemed to work pretty well, but now I'm seeking a submersible for my 5.5 gallon Betta tank. I have to use a full hood to deter my other pets.
Pic is the old hood. I now have a tight fitting DIY hood.
Would very much like your recommendations for a small submersible heater.

Attachments

• IMG_0245.JPG
    IMG_0245.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 37
Can't help with the heater but I have to comment to say that is the cutest picture!

"cutest picture"
Thank you, and I like your avatar.
Reminds me of Sophie when she was a kitty.
Both rescues.
Both recovered nicely and are in firm control of my home.
They are much calmer with the aquarium now.
w00t.gif

To go back to the original question, if you liked Eheim Jagers, why not get another? I've just looked at the website and they are completely submersible, although checking with the instructions for mine they do say the heater must be vertical. Is 24 cm (9.5 inches) too long to fit vertically in your tank? That's the length of the 25w and 50w models.

Thanks very much Sue.
The Eheim is a bit too long to be put standing up in my tank. Some reviewers claim that they are able to do a horizontal installation.
After a bit more investigation I think that I may have found one that I like.
Cobalt Aquatics make a submersible heater that will fit my tank. A bit pricey at $35.00, but reviews look better. Seems to have the least failures
I may go with this one.

keep in mind that for a 5 gallon tank a 25 watt heater is in most cases is overkill. heaters as small as 10 watts can do the job. But I don't know of any 10 watt heaters that are adjustable. Most 25 watt heaters are adjustable and most are not very long. Also in most cases the actual heating element only occupies the lower 1/3 of the heater with the rest of the length being occupied by the temperature control circuit. So in most cases the heater doesn't have to be fully submerged.

Last edited:
Love that pic :)

As for heaters that will fit your tank, there are what is called nano heaters, usually pretty short lengthed with adjustable temperatures controlelr. I had one from Superfish, which was a 50w, which is overkill for your tank but as long as its controlled at the desired temp should be fine.

There are bound to be quite a number of brands with suitable sized heaters that will suit your tank and budget. Pays to shop around.

Many thanks.
Really appreciate your input.
Have to make a decision soon. Its not getting any warmer.

Most reactions

Back